Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Default Current Barracudas still OK?

Hi, I have just had a Barracuda SATA die. I had it about six weeks, doing a fairly intensive TV job. Hindsight sees that it was in trouble all along. I moved my sessions into folders for organisation purposes. Despite using Select Folder etc. in Disc Allocation, it kept generating new folders where the sessions had started out. it was also more clicky than my old Cuda. The other day I was doing final Backups when this drive caused a spinning ball full crash. On boot up, the drive was gone. I check the internal cables, disconnected an ext firewire etc. and rebooted. It appeared again and I finished my Backups.
Today it disappeared again.
So my question is:

Last year I noticed some issue on forums, perhaps power management in recent Cudas. It appeared that is was possible to turn this off in PC's not Macs. Slowing down to save power, heat, was obviously not desirable in an audio drive.
Anyone know for certain if current Barracudas are as good as ever with Macs.
I am on G5 Dual.

Best Regards, Dan FitzGerald
www.soundsound.ie