Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-07-2002, 08:18 AM

Default can\'t use plug-ins on more than one machine without paying twice?

Is it true that in order to use plug-ins like Auto Tune, Maxim and Amplitube on two different machines (laptop for travelling), you have to buy them twice, pay full price 2x? Does anyone know about this or whether there's any way around that?
Old 07-07-2002, 08:46 AM

Default Re: can\'t use plug-ins on more than one machine without paying twice?

One word: iLok.
Do some research about it.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Guerrero:
One word: iLok.
Do some research about it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey J, maybe you should do some research as well - as well as maybe lightening up a bit. Not every plugin manufacturer uses the iLok copy protection schema, most noteably IK Multimedia (i.e. Amplitube as queried about above) as well as lots of other plugins - including Waves, GRM tools, KOL, and many others. And until recently Digi didn't use the iLok, although thankfully thats changed. Not everyone loves the iLok either - although for me its the best option for multiple systems using common plugins. So far using it has been rock stable and I've no performance issues with it.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:13 PM

I know it doesn't work for all plugs, but it's a good option. I suggested that he read more about it so he can check if it would work for him, not to imply that it would work for everything.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:14 PM

Yeah, you're right Frank -- no iLok for Amplitube. I've e-mailed jason at IK and will let you know what he says about loading Amplitube on a second system . . .
Old 07-07-2002, 06:19 PM

The other hassle with a non iLok plugin is that even if they will allow you a second machine authorization (and I'd be curious to see what they say), you still are at their mercy when you buy a new computer, or even replace your hard drive. I've been through 5 upgrades (2 HD, and 3 computers) since 1999, and each time its a major hassle to email all the challenge response people to get everything up and running.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:29 AM

When I spook to the IK Media rep in Denmark two weeks ago, one of he's arguements for buying T-Racks was the allowence to use it on up til three machines on the same license. Each company seems to have a different strategy on this one... (I assume it applies to all IK Media products)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-08-2002, 02:25 PM

Hey everyone,

Here is the deal with IK auth codes. When you buy any of products you automatically get 3 user access codes per product. For some reason if you fill up your 3 and need more. Simply contact us and we can unlock codes in just a few moments.

You are not limited to just the first 3. Although we are not going to give massive amounts if abuse if detected. Other than that, we have no problem doing it.

Thanks
Jason
IK Tech Support
Old 07-11-2002, 06:13 PM

I can report that Amplitube was the only plug i was able to use onmore than one machine without forking over again. I appreciate it, IK.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:35 PM

McDSP Products Ship with 2 ilok keys so you can use the software on 2 machines so long as you have 2 iloks - not sure about the legalities of this one though because I think I remember one is supposed to be a spare/backup - maybe your not supposed to use 2 at the same time!?

I wish all plugins used ilok - so simple!
I emailed GRM regarding ilok about 18 months ago and they replied saying they were working on it. Nothing Yet!

Nocturnal