Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2002, 04:28 AM

Default Have you TDM guys tried the Davec test?

Hi All,

I run LE/001 on a PC and I'm finding that I'm getting plenty of processing power with RTAS plugins for what I need to do ... however I need more I/O ... probably ADAT bridges as I'm using an 02R.

My question is has anyone tried the davec test?

PT Performance

I'm curious 'cause if your systems can run the same number of RTAS plugs as mine (surely they must) then I'll only need to go with a basic MIX system to be a very happy camper [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Oz
Old 10-30-2002, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Have you TDM guys tried the Davec test?

Keep in mind that whatever the RTAS count shows, the TDM hardware will run things in addition to the rtas count - that was the point of tdm to begin with, it is hardware driven, not system dependent.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:38 AM

your test won't work on TDM, because RTAS is not permitted on record-enabled tracks or Aux tracks (I don't know why either)

Tony
Old 10-31-2002, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the replies ...

Yeah Steve ... I'm actually very familiar with the TDM concept ... been using MAC TDM system in local pro studios for years ... am just looking for the most cost effective upgrade for my semi-pro home setup.

Now why would they do that Tony? Are they worried we might run the davec test & realise we don't need Mix Farm cards anymore [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Guess I'll just have to pile up a playback session in LE 'til it's maxed out & then open that at my local dealer on a MIX system to try and get an idea that way.

Thanks again.

Oz
Old 10-31-2002, 01:18 AM

Hi Oz,

I'm running a PT LE 5.3.1 at home and a 5.3.1 Mixplus at work. At home I get 32+4 on the Davec test.
When I bring a Session from home to work, the RTAS plugins I've used at home, load as TDM eqiuvalents.
I can use RTAS but, as Tony pointed out, not on input signals, only on recorded tracks.
I often run out of DSP on my Mixplus and therefore load some plugins as RTAS. So far I've never run out of RTAS host processing power.

They do sound a little bit different, you know, the RTAS versions of the plugins. Not as...I'm searching for words in english...transparent maybe?
So, on kick and snare drums, bass and stuff it's OK with RTAS but for vocals and high frequency stuff like strings and brass, I use TDM plugins.

It's good to be able to use both but it would be really great to be able to use RTAS on inputs aswell, since many new plugins come as RTAS - Amplitube, Sampletank...

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 11-13-2002, 11:14 AM

So why not try the test with TDM plug-ins??
Just to compared what your system can do before running out of steam. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 11-14-2002, 02:15 AM

Well, it doesn't work the same way, so the results aren't really comparable but anyways:

When I add 32 tracks in my Mix Plus system, (as is the maximum for LE) with the 5 plugin instances (TDM),
my CPU, System or PCI load isn't much to mention BUT the long Delay plugin instance is deactivated from track 17 and onwards.
So I have 32 tracks and can hit play, rec or whatever, it's just that the long delay instance isn't active on 17-32.

My H/W buffer settings, DAE size, etc. have nothing to do with this since the plugins are loaded on the DSP's on my Mix Cards.

Now, if we are going to compare apples and pears...

If I run the Davec test as a PT LE user does, i.e. only with RTAS plugins, I can get 42 (forty-two) tracks.

This is on a 2,66 GHz Dell Precision 340 P4 with 1GB RDRAM (2048 samples, 85%, DAE Level 8).
I have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI-adapter with an IBM SCSI-drive.
Matrox G550 dual head.
No system tweaks whatsoever.

To make it even more interesting -since I can, why not run both RTAS and TDM?
I get 64 (sixty-four) tracks and 4 (four) Aux Inputs.
Then I can record for as long as I have harddisk space. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So, the only drawback as I see it with my TDM system, is that I can't place RTAS plugins on Inputs/input signals or Master Faders which renders, e.g. the Amplitube plugin useless.

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR