Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Default General HD Questions

Hi everyone, I had a couple questions about PT HD. I've been a longtime PT user, starting out with a 001 and now a 003, but I think my workload has become large enough to warrant an upgrade to PT HD.

I'm on a rather tight budget (really tight, because I can't sell my current PT rig til after I get the HD up and running; for work reasons). So I will have to buy everything secondhand. I currently work on a Mac G5 2Ghz PCI-X computer,

1) Should I sell the G5 PCI-X to get one that has PCIe slots, even though PCIe cards are much more expensive?

2) Is there any difference in performance between PCI, PCIe or PCI-X? Same software, right?

3) If I can't get a Core card to come with the original HD software, the software they sell at the Digi store is the full PT HD 7.4 software, correct?

Sorry, that turned into more questions than I entended. Thanks to all for any input and advice. I hope to join the ranks of HD users very soon.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM

Default Re: General HD Questions

1) The PCIe cards are probably only more expensive on the used market - they are basically the same price as the PCIx cards when purchased new. The reason is mainly because the PCIx cards aren't usable with the new Macs. If you could stretch your budget to get PCIe cards and a new computer, you would have a more powerful system which will have a much longer life span. You won't need to upgrade your cards later if you decide to get a new computer down the road a few years (provided that Apple sticks with PCIe for that long). You have to make the call whether that is worth it for you. If you want the least expensive system you can get, then stick with the computer you have and go with PCIx - that system still works great and is way more powerful than the 003.

2) Yes, there is a difference in performance between the cards only in that the Core card with the PCIe system has some Accel chips on it, and the PCIx version does not. The Accel chips will allow more plug-in instantiations and will run Accel only plug-ins. This becomes very important if you are only running one card in your system. If you have a PCIx HD2 Accel, you will still be able to run some Accel only plug-ins on your Accel card. The software is exactly the same though.

3) Yes, but you should get the software along with the used Core card. You want to be able to transfer the registration for the card and software from the original owner to you, so that you can get proper upgrades. Complete and send in the Digidesign Transfer of Ownership Form.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. You're right; if I were buying new, I'd go with the PCIe for longevity. Unfortunetly, my budget is quite small and would only allow me to purchase a new HD1. But with no other money I couldn't afford an interface or a new computer, so I'd be forced to purchase PCI-X to be compatible with the computer I have...it's a pickle.

At the same time, technology moves so fast that I wouldn't want to wait and save to get PCIe and a MacPro just to have Digi come out with something new.

Also, the vast majority of PCI Core cards on Ebay do not come with the original software, so I think I might be forced to purchase new software. Is there any way to register used core cards even if the supplier doesn't fill out a transfer form? I'm always apprehensive when buying stuff like this off Ebay.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Read the details on the Digidesign link in my post above, and maybe try calling them to ask about this. You can simply purchase the full installer, probably. You can only get the special upgrade pricing when upgrading from fairly recent PT versions usually anyway.

Since you already have a computer that will work fine, and you need to save $, then it seems like a no-brainer to go with PCIx. If you want to save even more, you could try to find a used 96 I/O.

I feel the same way about Ebay, and prefer the Buy and Sell area of the DUC.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM

ok, thanks a lot for your advice. I think my course of action is set. I'll continue to save money, and keep scouring the buy and sell area, as well as ebay.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_electronics View Post
Thanks for the advice. You're right; if I were buying new, I'd go with the PCIe for longevity. Unfortunetly, my budget is quite small and would only allow me to purchase a new HD1. But with no other money I couldn't afford an interface or a new computer, so I'd be forced to purchase PCI-X to be compatible with the computer I have...it's a pickle.

At the same time, technology moves so fast that I wouldn't want to wait and save to get PCIe and a MacPro just to have Digi come out with something new.

Also, the vast majority of PCI Core cards on Ebay do not come with the original software, so I think I might be forced to purchase new software. Is there any way to register used core cards even if the supplier doesn't fill out a transfer form? I'm always apprehensive when buying stuff like this off Ebay.
I don't think I'd worry about PCIe transfer forms. You may even be able to find some refurbed cards. I'm pretty sure that you can call Digi customer service to get transfer forms if needed.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_electronics View Post
the vast majority of PCI Core cards on Ebay do not come with the original software, so I think I might be forced to purchase new software. Is there any way to register used core cards even if the supplier doesn't fill out a transfer form?
From the transfer of ownership link

"The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well."

There is no separate license or SN number for the software. If you purchase the used cards, you get the license for the software included. All you have to do is register your used cards with digi and you'll be able to download the software and purchase any upgrades that are available. Most of the time Digidesign has a flat rate for upgrades across the board, it doesn't matter if you have version 5 or version 6.9, the upgrades are usually around $250. Sometimes if you already ahve the current version, they will let you upgrade to the new current version for a cheaper price (usually $100 or $150 instead of $250).

But regardless... you don't need to pay for the upgrade to download the software version that comes with your cards. If your cards come with a 6.7 SN number, when you log into their site they'll let you download the latest version of 6.7... and so on...

ALWAYS make sure the owner agrees to fill out the transfer of ownership forms... if they don't, DO NOT BUY IT. The number one reason for a seller not wanting to fill out the form, the cards are stolen... just keep that in mind...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
From the transfer of ownership link

"The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well."

There is no separate license or SN number for the software. If you purchase the used cards, you get the license for the software included. All you have to do is register your used cards with digi and you'll be able to download the software and purchase any upgrades that are available. Most of the time Digidesign has a flat rate for upgrades across the board, it doesn't matter if you have version 5 or version 6.9, the upgrades are usually around $250. Sometimes if you already ahve the current version, they will let you upgrade to the new current version for a cheaper price (usually $100 or $150 instead of $250).

But regardless... you don't need to pay for the upgrade to download the software version that comes with your cards. If your cards come with a 6.7 SN number, when you log into their site they'll let you download the latest version of 6.7... and so on...

ALWAYS make sure the owner agrees to fill out the transfer of ownership forms... if they don't, DO NOT BUY IT. The number one reason for a seller not wanting to fill out the form, the cards are stolen... just keep that in mind...
Well, color me stupid!