Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-20-2004, 04:00 AM

Default Free Bomb Factory/Izotope Vinyl Plugins

I tried out the free bomb factory plugins and the free Izotope Vinyl plugins last night.

Bomb Factory:

I started out by doing the install and found out they are 48 mb in size roughly for starters once installed. They also seem to take up a lot of resources when you are running them in LE 6.1.

When I finally was able to use the plugins (mind you I downloaded the Pace driver before I ever started the install from advanced warning from the boards. Thank you guys) I was very dissapointed in their content.

Yes they have a tuner which may be useful for things if you don't already have a guitar or bass tuner or whatever in your studio, they have a few meters (which you can do much better in other plugs or hardware with), and they have the compression unit in which I think the basic Audiosuite plugins can do a much better job at compression and take up way less resources than this one ever could.

All in all I give Bomb Factory a thumbs down and ended up un-installing it just minutes after I installed it. I would highly reccomend against this plugin set for anyone that hasn't already found out what I have about them. They are not worth the time and effort it takes to get them.

Izotope Vinyl:

This plugin however was everything that it is cracked up to be and more in my opinion. It takes up mininum resources and barely made a dent in my hard drive space.

This one is a very cool utility if you want to make anything sound like its on an old record player. I was especially amused at the fact you could switch between years for the type of record that you are playing and the details that the scratches gave you to sound like you're playing an actual record from back in the day when LPs were popular.

I would reccomend this one to anyone who is looking for an old record player type sound. Hip Hop and re-mix people will especially dig this one.

Yes, I know I seem like a newb that is discovering plugs for the first time, but I figured I'd give a few of you all a helping hand back out there who haven't experienced this yet as everyone has been cool to me on the boards.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Free Bomb Factory/Izotope Vinyl Plugins

Quote:
and they have the compression unit in which I think the basic Audiosuite plugins can do a much better job at compression and take up way less resources than this one ever could.

Quote:
All in all I give Bomb Factory a thumbs down and ended up un-installing it just minutes after I installed it. I would highly reccomend against this plugin set for anyone that hasn't already found out what I have about them. They are not worth the time and effort it takes to get them.
I think the BF76 is one of the best free compression plugins around..... A remake of the Urei 1176LN and that for free....... I would really suggest you try this one again before recommending against it here, or recommending against the whole BF Free bundle for that matter!! Try it on drums (group, maybe without the kick) or vocals or something....Of course every unit and every plugin has its own sound and can be more useful in some situations and less in others, but I love the 1176LN and a FREE plugin version of this unit is just great in my opinion.

This plugin alone would already make downloading the BF Free bundle worth the 'trouble'. And I like the correlation meter and the tuner as well. So I would definately say thumbs *up* for the BF free bundle.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:19 AM

I think the BF76 is a great compressor, it sounds quite nice and has a cool analogue type feel to it.

I'm not sure how your using it, but if u don't understand quite how it works u might not get the best out of the unit. Then again u just might not like the sound of the thing. I had the works of it explained to me a while ago... altho that was with a real 1176....
Old 06-20-2004, 05:31 AM

yeah, just wasn't terribly impressed with the sound and control abilities of it honestly. I think I would prefer having the actual analog version better maybe. It would be easier to get the sounds I am looking for and tweak the knobs. As far as tuners go, I really prefer using the ones I have in the studio, or if I really want to use a plug one I will go with Amplitubes usually. I rarely tune on the computer though. *shrugs* I'd be willing to give them another try if you guys have any suggestions on how to cut down on processor usage and any suggestions to get a better tone and control out of them?

Also, is there a way to extract just the compressor for installation out of the batch? That is the one that I was mainly interested in checking out originally and have no use for the other ones in the bundle.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 AM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

I never thought the day would come when someone thumbs-downed the FREE BF76 plugin. Considered my mind blown. The whole idea behind the 1176 is that it doesn't provide too much control; just turn three knobs and let it do what it does. The rest of the plugins do what they're intended to do, what's not to love?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:26 AM

You can just delete the ones you don't use from your Plugins folder.

Quote:

Also, is there a way to extract just the compressor for installation out of the batch? That is the one that I was mainly interested in checking out originally and have no use for the other ones in the bundle.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:44 AM

im just mad that i cant use Vinyl on my new Mac. its Windows only

go left next time
Old 06-21-2004, 02:24 AM

Quote:
any suggestions to get a better tone and control out of them?

For the BF76 it is described pretty well in the manual (downloadable here). You will find a describtion of how the original unit works, what the knobs do and some extra tips on how to use the compressor. The rest is a matter of listening I guess.....
Old 06-21-2004, 08:10 AM

I have them both, BF and IZotope plugins, "worth the trouble" unless your on an antiquated 33k dialup, what is the trouble part......LOL

though some of the BF plugins are useless to me, the BF76 has helped me out a few times ,

Now the Izotope plugin is a jewel, it has come in handy since the day I got it.
love being abel to use it to get that STP (or Bullhorn) effect in certian vocal lines.

But all in all, they where FREE, and with the cost of plugins, and the cost of Hardware/Software in PTLE., getting a few crumbs every now and then is allright by me.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:33 AM

I must get me these Izotope Plug-ins' they/it sounds cool.

If u think the 1176 is a little weird to control, u should check the L2A2. It has 2 knobs and a limit/comp switch. Once you get your head around how the the knobs do their job, it is easy as to use tho.