Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Default Re: HD TDM End

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
i'm not impressed with what i got in my very well planned upgrade but i had the cash i felt the time was right and i got killer deals on loaded puter and 2 more cards and a new magma

it will be a long time before i do another upgrade unless i come into a lot of dough

just not needed
Right. Not needed for you. But some of us want to use Pro Tools 11, et al. To do so, upgrades are necessary. I use a lot of VIs, and would love to use a 64 bit Pro Tools. I built my new rig to be ready for that.

Enjoy what you got, and we'll enjoy what we got, too.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM

i hope you get what you pay for besides a big debt....

your money's worth.

at some point you want to make some money and enjoy the fruits of your investment instead of being a slave to the upgrade curve....and making a corporation richer that does not really have your happiness in mind.

plenty of VIs in PT10 HD6 on an 8 core here for me

Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 AM

HDX is the future but HD is the only system right now that u can track with all of ur favorite plugins... I wouldnt change my system for HDX at this point... hopefully in a year or 2 when everyone has jumped on board with AAX DSP I will gladly sell my soul for an HDX rig but for now im sticking with HD... its crazy waves is not on board and no auto tune yet either so who knows i would imagine if they dont make DSP versions at some point someone else will fill the gap with a more powerful solution
Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
HDX is the future but HD is the only system right now that u can track with all of ur favorite plugins... I wouldnt change my system for HDX at this point... hopefully in a year or 2 when everyone has jumped on board with AAX DSP I will gladly sell my soul for an HDX rig but for now im sticking with HD... its crazy waves is not on board and no auto tune yet either so who knows i would imagine if they dont make DSP versions at some point someone else will fill the gap with a more powerful solution
thank you voice of reason and true enlightenment.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Running PT10 HD4 here with a Magma and Apogee AD 16x's and couldn't be happier, maybe do the upgrade in a year or so depending on how things go.. The main thing for me is, I'm still using all my favorite plugs I invested in over the years..
I have the cash right now to go HDX but the sys I have now sounds great and does the job.. I made this decision after comparing mixes with another engineer who has HDX, we both mixed the same song..

I may even get another card, they are cheap as hell on ebay...
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Sound quality comparisons are totally subjective, but tons more voices but not enough available AAX DSP plugins is not. It's a case by case conundrum.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 AM

HDX sounds great better than HD in my opinion .
Correct not that many AAX dsp plugins yet but when HD11 comes out I think that will change . HDX does everything I need it to do and more.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
HDX sounds great better than HD in my opinion . .
Well, that's your opinion!

This kind of thing always happens. There's no technical reason why there should be a sonic difference, unless you like to put all of your faders at +10. I'll chalk this one up to marketing & human psychology.

Same as it ever was.
=================

The interesting conundrum for me, when "that" time comes, is whether to try to pay for HDX, or go native HD with a fast 12-core Mac. Since I'm primarily a midi composer these days, I think the latter might be a better solution.

Except- Does anyone know how, say, a current 6, 8, or 12-core Mac compares to an Accel or HDX card, in terms of dsp cycles? I can't seem to find this anywhere. It would kill me to invest in PT native HD, and then find I don't have as much power as my HD6 Accel system had.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:02 AM

hay allan, i now find that my home studio running a 3.4 I7 imac
can create sessions that choke my hd4 studio set up,
running a quad mac pro.
just picked 2 more accels to try and even the score...
e
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
Doesn't HDX still run TDM plugins? At least with PT 10?