Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Default PT10 and PTHD9 iLok licenses, moving between 2 keys

I have 2 iLok keys, one contains PTHD9 and another contains PT10.
When moving PTHD9 license to another iLok, iLok.com says:

Step 5 - Review your selection and transfer:
You have selected 3 licenses/bundles for transfer to your iLok named "iLok 3".
Note: The following licenses exist on the target iLok and may be replaced by licenses selected for transfer. Please review the list below to make sure that you wish to perform these license replacements:
Product Company Action
Pro Tools 9 Digidesign Will be queued since another license with greater weight is in the way.
Press the "Next" button to transfer the selected licenses from the source to the destination iLok. Press "Cancel" to cancel the transfer operation.

It is because PTHD9 bundles:
* PTHD9
* PTHD8
* PT9
and PT10 bundles:
* PT10
* PT9
so PT9 license is common in both.

Can I continue Next without loosing one of PT9 license from either PTHD9 or PT10 ?
Or, one of PT9 will be lost ?

Answer: Yes, we can.
Please refer:
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1871201&postcount=9
Old 11-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Re: PT10 and PTHD9 iLok licenses, moving between 2 keys

I would be more concerned you may overwrite the entire bundle!

The ilok site does caution never to move a license onto another ilok that already has that license. Considering there is a common PT9 license in the two bundles, you are correct in having some concern you may overwrite PT9, but I wonder if one bundle would just replace the other.

I vote: "bad idea," but maybe someone who has actually tried can give you the real skinny. The ilok warnings sound too cryptic to me.

In your case, you could lose both PT HD8 and PT HD9 going one direction, or PT 10 going the other. You could potentially lose all the complete production toolkit functionality of PT HD9 or be unable to use any HD systems. Not sure why you would want to do that. Adrenaline rush? Walkin' on broken glass?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
I would be more concerned you may overwrite the entire bundle!
Yes, that senario, loosing either of the entire bundles, is worse than just loosing a part of license(s) from either bundle.

I just want to have one iLok key that contains both PT10 and PTHD9, but not tried yet because of iLok.com warning message.

Actually, I have another similar issue on Waves bundles.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Maybe there is a geek out there that can figure a way to partition your ilok so you can carry only one, but have the security of not losing your "doubles." I used to use a program called "Partition Magic" that could do fancy stuff on my PC hard drives...outside of of fdisk or diskpart.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Bundle licences cannot be 'splitted',and the ilok is not just a simple flash device imho
Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Maybe there is a geek out there that can figure a way to partition your ilok so you can carry only one, but have the security of not losing your "doubles." I used to use a program called "Partition Magic" that could do fancy stuff on my PC hard drives...outside of of fdisk or diskpart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix109 View Post
Bundle licences cannot be 'splitted',and the ilok is not just a simple flash device imho
I don't think that iLok key can be partitioned like disk, as mix109 wrote.

Has somebody tried such a "move licensense" operation on iLok keys ?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Be careful, you might bungle the bundle!
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuomik View Post
Actually, I have another similar issue on Waves bundles.
Waves Tech Support answered that I can continue Next, and actually it was OK.

I have Diamond Native bundle, and L3-16 Native bundle.
Both bundles contains 4 L3(-LL) Multi/Ultra-maximizer licenses.
I moved L3-16 bundle license to the iLok which had already had Diamond bundle, and I did not loose any license.
However, "queued" is displayed at iLok.com for 4 sub-licenses of L3-16 bundle license.

According to my experience on Waves bundles, I guess it should be OK to move PT10 (PT10 + PT9) license to the iLok which had already had PTHD9 (PTHD9 + PTHD8 + PT9) license, and PT9 sublicense of PT10 bundle would be "queued".
Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 AM

I found that iLok does officially support this feature.
http://ilok.com/ilok-faq.html#LIC160
Quote:
What is a bundle?
A bundle is a group of licenses that are bound together. They are downloaded as a group and moved between iLoks or iLok.com accounts as a group. Some software publishers use the term 'bundle' as a marketing term when selling a group of individual licenses. You can recognize an iLok.com license bundle by the label "Bundle" in the Type column. Note that a bundle does not save space on the iLok - a bundle that contains four products occupies four spaces, just the same as if you owned the four products separately.

If you have licenses already on your iLok for products that are part of the bundle, the overlapping licenses will be put into "Queued" status. See the next FAQ entry.

What does "Queued" mean?
An iLok can hold only one license for each software product. But if you have bundles, it is possible to have two or more licenses for the same product associated with one iLok. Only one license is actually on the iLok. Information about the other license is stored, or queued. The more useful of the two licenses is put on the iLok.

For example, a full license is on the iLok and a timed one is queued. A single license, part of a bundle, or even a whole bundle can be queued. Subject to software publisher limitations, queued licenses or bundles can be transferred to another iLok where they will become active licenses if no other licenses for these products are already on the destination iLok.
I moved PTHD9 license to the iLok that has PT10, and it shows:
Quote:
Pro Tools 10+9 Bundle Digidesign Bundle Hide
Pro Tools 10 Digidesign License Never
Pro Tools 9 Digidesign License Never
Pro Tools HD 9 Digidesign Bundle Hide
Pro Tools 9 Digidesign License Never queued
Pro Tools HD 8 Digidesign License Never
Pro Tools HD 9 Digidesign License Never
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 AM

From the sound of the FAQ response, it IS possible to split a license from a bundle. May or may not be in tune with the publisher's licensing policy, though.