Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 07:29 PM

Default which order do you record in?

hey everyone well were just getting started in our home studio its almost complete and well weve been messing around with what we have and i was wondering what order you guys record instruments usually like seperatly not at the same time. guitar lead guitar bass drums vocals? or? and if anyone knows any pro tools recording engineer or teacher that can come to home studios in illinois to teach how to use it better please let me know. Were just messing around with it and finding out new things that you can do its a great program we just want to try to start recording a cd in 2 months and want to learn more about recording in person any ideas? thanks everyone.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: which order do you record in?

Go to the Digi online store and look at the books and media available under "Training and Materials." Lots of good stuff there.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:37 PM

If you are planning on recording things live into your console. You need to isolate each miked amplifier from eachother. If you do not have multiple isolation booths, you need to record things separately, or if your going line input, all headphones...no monitors. There is a lot of techniques to pulling off a professional recording similair to this matter. Like the last post mentioned. Getting a beginners book about this sort of issue is he best thing to do. It covers every angle and question you can think of. Let me know man! -DL
Old 01-21-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
hey everyone well were just getting started in our home studio its almost complete and well weve been messing around with what we have and i was wondering what order you guys record instruments usually like seperatly not at the same time. guitar lead guitar bass drums vocals? or?
FWIW, this is the order I record things in
1) Drum Track ( I use DoggieBox - http://www.doggiebox.com/ )
2) A guide Vocal and acoustic guitar
3) Lead Vocal
4) guitars, bass, Keyboard

I get the lead vocal in place as soon as possible so that the rest of the overdubs can be placed in context of that.

Of course YMMV

Cheers

Charlie
-----
My music is here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~puffin/mp3.html
Old 01-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
or if your going line input, all headphones...no monitors. :
why is this??
Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 AM

quote]
Quote:

or if your going line input, all headphones...no monitors. :

why is this??

[/QUOTE]
I like doing this based on a pre-fader auxilary, post would not apply (it depends on the console). To give each muscian a separate headphone mix for more of an isolated option towards their instrument. -DL