Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Slate Digital AAX-DSP?

Well hopefully with over 14000 system sold to date the demand is there. And the more plugs there is, the more demand there will also be. A coder might not hit a switch to turn a native into a dsp, but if he codes his native code as if he was to code a dsp plugin the things gets a lot more easier as said by Dave Tremblay, the one who made the format. Obviously not a 2 fingers up the nose and typing with my pinky toe type of thing, but easier. And Great to hear from you, Steven.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Well I own most of Slate PI's...well all of them except SSD. I love and use them frequently and I am prepared to spend my money without hesitation on AAX-DSP upgrades should Slate decide to "go for it".
Old 11-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Fabrice is not the only coder for Slate but he's the main guy.. And just look at MDG audio, they are a 2 man team, yet they just released Equality for AAX DSP with astonishing numbers of instances per cards. They could also release Equilibrium if they wanted to, as an hybrid DSP/native plugins which is possible to do with AAX 64, but that requires a bit more time and knowledge.
that's nice for dmg with one plugin after three years in development. But most seem to fall in line with exponential (post #104) and the others. I'll believe that Dave will do his "restricted" (his words) version of equilibrium for aax-dsp when I see it. And I'll be the first to buy.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
that's nice for dmg with one plugin after three years in development. But most seem to fall in line with exponential (post #104) and the others. I'll believe that Dave will do his "restricted" (his words) version of equilibrium for aax-dsp when I see it. And I'll be the first to buy.
There's no need for a restricted if he actually use the hybrid option of AAX that Dave Tremblay (I might as well just call him Tremblay to make sure there's no confusion here lol) has explained in the past and that I quoted in my other post. But the fact remains that although they might have taken 3 years to do it, as a 2 man team who mostly do everything from accounting to promoting as I understand it, you can easily imagine when a company has a team of coders independent to their finance team, promotion team etc... They (DMG) still did the job And now that they did it for one plugin, they probably have a better understanding of how to do it for their other plugins. Equilibrium will be a different beast, but there's a way for them to do it without dumbing the plugin down. They could keep the spectrograph analyzer part of the plugin on the native side and keep the eq itself on the aax side as an example.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
There's no need for a restricted if he actually use the hybrid option of AAX that Dave has explained in the past and that I quoted in my other post.
Dave Gamble looked at all the options and his plugin. With the limitations of this system and the complexity of equilibrium he said he may be able to do a restricted version at best. I'm quite sure he knows of Dave Tremblay thru his dealing of three years making equality aax-dsp.

Dave Gamble is online. Maybe u can explain it to him

Quote:
A coder might not hit a switch to turn a native into a dsp, but if he codes his native code as if he was to code a dsp plugin the things gets a lot more easier as said by Dave Tremblay, the one who made the format.
in a vacuum yes. but, as stated earlier, you have to factor in the hardware costs of hdx and the development system to code as if it was dsp. a major investment in money but also man hours and time for small operations who do other plugins for all formats on mac n pc. The optimization time and effort is a killer as stated by cytomic in an earlier post. If it was as simple as it sounds many would do aax-dsp. Lifelong PT DSP partners like Soundtoys have passed saying it is too much of an investment.

IMO, Dave Tremblay and avid guys need to get on it and code many more aax-dsp plugins that fill in the gaps left by those not doing aax-dsp. They should be able to churn them out pretty quickly according to his article.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Dave Gamble looked at all the options and his plugin. With the limitations of this system and the complexity of equilibrium he said he may be able to do a restricted version at best. I'm quite sure he knows of Dave Tremblay thru his dealing of three years making equality aax-dsp.

Dave Gamble is online. Maybe u can explain it to him
I'm sure he has, but at the same time who knows if he knew

Quote:
in a vacuum yes. but, as stated earlier, you have to factor in the hardware costs of hdx and the development system to code as if it was dsp.
Not necessarily, Avid has been known to loan systems from time to time to other developers. And beside, if they actually did the equality as dsp, then they (DMG) obviously already have the system.

Quote:
IMO, Dave Tremblay and avid guys need to get on it and code many more aax-dsp plugins that fill in the gaps left by those not doing aax-dsp. They should be able to churn them out pretty quickly according to his article.
Unfortunately Tremblay is no longer at Avid, a shame caused I loved the exchanges I had with him. But yes, Avid could make a lot more by themselves to fill the gap.. or as I suggested else where they could actually team up with the other developer and lessen their coding loads. Would I be a lone coder and Avid approached me with an offer to code for me for a % of the sales, I'd jump right on it, but I'm not lol. Although with already 180 dsp plugs... if people really can't make an album with all these plugins.. then they should rethink their trade a bit, when some engineers are able to bring out esthetically pleasing and great sounding albums with only stock plugins. But I got to say that there are some very nice plugs out there. I just bought the Maag eq4 myself (which is dsp) and man am I loving it
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily, Avid has been known to loan systems from time to time. And beside, if they actually did the equality as dsp, then they obviously already have the system.
i was referring to all the other developers who have stated they are not interested in aax-dsp. not dmg. with that, it' more than just the system for these small developers. there are other high costs and manpower issues.

Quote:
Although with already 180 dsp plugs... if people really can't make an album with all these plugins.. then they should rethink their trade a bit, when some engineers are able to bring out esthetically pleasing and great sounding albums with only stock plugins.
That I agree with. But it's a larger picture. Backwards session compatibility with decades of sessions and confidence in the tools you have made a living with for those same decades like waves, soundtoys, auto-tune, etc. Those two are much more important than anything else. Thus the reticence of HD facilities and users to upgrade.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
i was referring to all the other developers who have stated they are not interested in aax-dsp. not dmg. with that, it' more than just the system for these small developers. there are other high costs and manpower issues.
Yep I was referring to the system specifically that it can be a moot point depending on Avid. There's no denying there's a cost of production, everything has.

Quote:
That I agree with. But it's a larger picture. Backwards session compatibility with decades of sessions and confidence in the tools you have made a living with for those same decades like waves, soundtoys, auto-tune, etc. Those two are much more important than anything else. Thus the reticence of HD users to upgrade.
That's why I will always recommend to keep one system for backward compatibility if you are to move to HDX and are able to.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPA View Post
Hi folks. We're focusing right now on getting VCC and FG-X into AAX Native first, and then we have the Virtual Microphone System coming out.

After that, we'll have to revisit the AAX DSP conversation and figure out if the demand is high enough. It will be very expensive for us to do with all of our plugins and will take a considerable amount of time and manpower. Despite what you may have heard, there is not a little 'switch' we hit to turn AAX Native into AAX DSP.

I will also say that with my new Mac Pro (cylinder), I'm tracking at 64 buffers using a thunderbolt interface at 96khz, using VMR and some zero latency verbs and delays, and I have a 1.5ms roundtrip and the CPU is barely touched. Tracked 20 tracks of drums, and vox/guitar scratches without a hitch.

But again, it will revolve around customer demand and I have ruled nothing out.

Cheers,
Steven
It's good to hear that you haven't ruled DSP out entirely. If you go ahead with it it will put you in a very exclusive class that will set you apart from most of the rest of the developers. That could be a great marketing tool.

As far as using any kind of new super computer for a mix as you go workflow Native simply does not cut it yet. Just try punching into an advanced in progress mix and you will see your computer come to it's knees. That's what we do out here in the real world of record production. It is absolutely nessecary for a number of reasons. For one you have a much better idea of what and what not to add to an in progress track. It is also way more inspiring for a player to overdub onto a track that is already sounding awesome. It is also not cost effective or time effective to start from scratch with a mix every time that you are through tracking on a song. That is the old economic model and any old music biz economic model is totally out the window these days. Time is money, period. That is the lot of the present day record producer and we are getting left behind when it comes to development of the DSP tools that we still need to do our day to day work. I am totally aware of the fact that we are by no means the biggest share of the potential DAW using market but we are a share nontheless. All I can say is that that is not a rosy picture for us and our future. It kinda sucks actually.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
That's why I will always recommend to keep one system for backward compatibility if you are to move to HDX and are able to.
Indeed we have kept an HD3 when we expanded into post.

An example of the flipside of that is:

If I have an HD rig that is super stable on 9HD or 10HD. All my plugins work for tracking and/or mixing including waves, soundtoys, autotune, echofarm, etc. I am booked solid and my clients are happy.

What on earth would make me "upgrade" to an HDX rig where stability and bugs are still issues. I lose my bread n butter plugins that I have made my living with for a decade. I lose backward compatibility with my clients older sessions because I must trade in my hd rig to help cover the costs of the expensive HDX system that makes me buy an expensive Avid I/O as well. Also, I lose the local bands, edm artists, r&b singers who prefer to track with autotune as an effect so they can control the bend of the tuning as they record.

The "upgrade" is actually a downgrade. Said studio has lived without freeze forever and they still compose in Logic/Cubase so 64bit means nothing to them. Plus PT is still coming up short in that area even with 64bit. 10HD gives ram cache and clip gain.

The cons of "upgrading" outweigh the pros of standing pat and continuing business as usual.