Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Talking HD Native LE exchange

well cat's outta the bag, so to speak. the next questions are when and what are the details?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6264899-post53.html

Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Re: HD Native LE exchange

Yes, but even if you save $1000, it's still around $6000...
A bit much for lower latency and "stunning I/O". At least as far as I'm concerned...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 PM

We could sure use a 16 I/O box in the 2-3k range to go with the native card. Something that would compete with RME.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
We could sure use a 16 I/O box in the 2-3k range to go with the native card. Something that would compete with RME.
Yeah, think about RME, Alphalink or Rednet myself, when I upgrade to PT9.

There is definitely a gap in the Avid lineup here.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

There's more details if you click on the link from airusersblog.com. It links to one dealer who's got prices. The prices are the same as what my Sweetwater rep told me yesterday.

Basically, with any Mbox, you get $500 off a HD Native bundle, with any 002/003 product (either console or rack) you get $1000 off a bundle, and with a legacy mix or tdm core card, you get the HD Native card and software for $1695, and then you buy your interface at regular price.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:59 PM

'the missing link' is still my beef too. i think many of us hoped HDN was a bridge between LE and HD. right now i already have a 'native' setup that's basically a maxed out LE setup with DVTK and external conversion, and have been rocking it for 4 years now! getting a $1000 for a trade in on a 003 console, for example, would be selling myself short when i could sell what i have on the second hand market for much more.

from my position i just want the full blown software, no toolkits or extra BS add-ons. i only want one asset/license that i can upgrade and deal with for the rest of the future. when avid announced software was no longer tied to hardware i guess they only meant on the LE side.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 PM

A couple of thoughts:

The price of the 003's, especially the console has really taken a hit lately now that people can use any interface. So you may not get more than $1000.

Second, you should use your DV Toolkit license to upgrade to CPTK for $299. Then you will have a license you might be able to then sell for possibly over $1000.

Between selling that, your existing high end converters, and using this exchange program, you might find that doing one of these HD Native bundles is the best all around solution.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM

hey nst, those were my thoughts before the news of the upcoming exchange. i might still have to consider that route if i decide to pull the trigger. the bummer part is losing a fairly nice controller. compared to the 003 the C8 leaves much to be desired and there's no telling if an 003 with HDN will be possible. most likely something new is coming out, but i don't know if i can wait and have my studio looking empty or puny!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Yeah, I understand the control surface thing. I guess the Euphonix Artist stuff is still not quite there yet?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 PM

But, I lucked out and bought a 003 Rack for under $900 when Guitar Center had them on sale last spring.

So, I could do an upgrade and make $100 on the deal...except that I'm unemployed and couldn't buy an HD3 if it was selling for $100...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh