Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I rarely disagree with you, your points about faders is fair, that being said, I personally feel that the D-Command smokes the procontrol all day and night in so many ways. I feel the same way about it compared to the C-24 and the S-3.

IMHO, the only thing out there today to beat it is the S-6.

I also think that the Slate Raven MTI2 is freaking awesome! I'd take it over an S-3 any day!

After all of this, even though I've moved away from the ProControl, I will continue to have a voice of reason, and argue that Avid had a choice to continue to allow these units to work or not, and chose not to. That being said, they still have that choice option on the table, they can simply do the right thing, make the necessary adjustments to the coding in ProTools, and poof, the pro control and the control 24 all the sudden start working again.
Yeah after thinking back maybe I glorified our ProControl a bit too much but as I totally loved the fader feeling those fine parts made I miss that. We have two Raven MTi2 and use them daily and now I miss our D Control after looking back hehe

PS. You know I respect you a lot and you are allowed to disagree

We are on the verge of ordering our S6 M40 but as we use our SSL4000G+ for everything mixing related I feel we might buy a D Control or a D Command again since we can get soo much more for that money a S6 will set us back and after using ine although a M10 16 faders for a week I was not as impressed as I thought I would with the feel of that unit. Not as solid as the older ICON's but we will have a pow wow here and see what is needed. A great D Command 32 fader will work great in the room we were considering a S6 and we can buy more gear and still save money ...

Thanks for the info and thoughts Barry!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-18-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
snip . . . they can simply do the right thing, make the necessary adjustments to the coding in ProTools, and poof, the pro control and the control 24 all the sudden start working again.
They don't even need to do anything in the ProTools application per se. It is in the Contents>Frameworks>Controllers folder. A little 591KB item called "ProControl.bundle".
Old 08-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
They don't even need to do anything in the ProTools application per se. It is in the Contents>Frameworks>Controllers folder. A little 591KB item called "ProControl.bundle".
I'm sure you are correct as that is beyond my expertise, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. Hoping that Avid will do the right thing here is as futile as hoping the sun won't go down on the last day of summer!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-07-2017, 01:59 PM

Hey guys I belive it can and has been done. Was talking to someone recently who directed me to the link below at GitHub .

If anyone has the patience to navigate this place and as I understand Sierra
It sounds pretty easy for someone with the right know how .

https://www.juce.com/releases/juce-5-1
Old 11-20-2017, 12:16 PM

This thread has just passed the 900,000 views mark.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwilson View Post
Hey guys I belive it can and has been done. Was talking to someone recently who directed me to the link below at GitHub .

If anyone has the patience to navigate this place and as I understand Sierra
It sounds pretty easy for someone with the right know how .

https://www.juce.com/releases/juce-5-1
What has JUCE (a software toolkit mostly used for developing cross platform DAW plugins) got to so with this?

It's only software so of course anything can be done in principal. The issue is in actually doing it. At the most simple level you sniff the output, reverse engineer it and build a translation layer that makes these old surfaces look like HUI (or MCU for other DAWs).... much more is possible as well. I know lots of people keep talking about the potential to do stuff but unless somebody with the skills to do so actually does it this is all just a waste of time.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I would be interested in what people would wanna pay for a patch as I do have the guys to make it happen. Also in order to undertake this it would have to be money upfront for the work and a trust that if this doesn't work for some reason the money would be returned minus a % of the investment for all the man hours so what would be a realistic figure to pay !?

We would need quite a few people pitching in to do this to be worth all the work and buying atleast two units to work with and going back in this thread there aren't as many as you think who would pay for this i think.
Chris

To develop what? Just a HUI translator (and what are it's specs/limitations)? A fully functioning version that works in Pro Tools 12 the same as on 10? Windows? Macintosh? Who develops ongoing releases? Provides support when there are issues? (hint: if you are paying people to do this and support it it the costs will likely add up quickly...).

Developing and supporting a HUI translator might be a good first proof of viability step in any case.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Chris

To develop what? Just a HUI translator (and what are it's specs/limitations)? A fully functioning version that works in Pro Tools 12 the same as on 10? Windows? Macintosh? Who develops ongoing releases? Provides support when there are issues? (hint: if you are paying people to do this and support it it the costs will likely add up quickly...).

Developing and supporting a HUI translator might be a good first proof of viability step in any case.
I was just thinking out loud as I know some wizzards who knows how to make it work but as you say it would need support staff and rolling bugfixes etc etc so that might be why no one has done this full on. A HUI translator would not be that difficult i am told but many functions would be dead with HUI so I dunno. I would also think Avid would have something to say about this and maybe not a good conversation

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I was just thinking out loud as I know some wizzards who knows how to make it work but as you say it would need support staff and rolling bugfixes etc etc so that might be why no one has done this full on. A HUI translator would not be that difficult i am told but many functions would be dead with HUI so I dunno. I would also think Avid would have something to say about this and maybe not a good conversation
Avid should hopefully be smart enough not to say anything about a third party building compatibility solutions. I hear this raised as an issue as well before, again it's all a hypothetical waste of time right now. Folks need to get started doing stuff.

See https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/re...ngineering-faq. The real issue come down to governing laws considering where the work is done. If working in the USA I would be more than happy to provide introductions to US based lawyers who would provide great advice here (but factor that cost in as well).
Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
This thread has just passed the 900,000 views mark.
In fact I could only find one thread on the entire DUC that has had more views. And that was about what people are listening to right now.

The more recent Avid items such as "Cloud Collaboration" has a measly 25,859 views for the "hottest" thread on the forum. . . and only 3,337 people have viewed the welcome sticky at the top of the "Cloud Collaboration" forum.