Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 AM

Default pro tools le: how do you group playlists on different tracks?

lets say u have 3 tracks TA, TB,TC and each has 3 playlists TA.01, TA.02 etc
for each track. Is it possible to create groups which will display any combination of these tracks by selecting the group .
so lets say i want TA.02 with TB.01 and TC.01 in a group so that when i select that group it will play those playlists together. It seems the latest version of cubase can do this using track version ids so that combinations of different takes on different tracks can be accessed easily, see this video and go to 5mins 10 secs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk4OURLV0Vo

thanks.

if LE can't do this can later versions of PT do it?

Last edited by Calon; 01-15-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Default Re: pro tools le: how do you group playlists on different tracks?

I don't think this is possible on any version, but I am admittedly not too clear on what you really want/need here. What's the end goal?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 PM

I think the easiest way to achieve this is to move your playlists around so they line up the way you want, then group tracks TA, TB, and TC.

In the example you gave (TA.02 with TB.01 and TC.01) this would mean simply dragging TA.01 above TA.02 (so now TA.02 is the first playlist, and when you solo any of the first playlists in your group then the corresponding playlists will solo on all tracks in the group - TA.02+TB.01+TC.01).The Playlists and clips should still retain the correct name, so you will still be able to tell TA.01 was the first take, even though it now resides on the second playlist.

EDIT: Wow, Cubase is looking slick in the new version. Maybe it's time to upgrade from my old copy of 5.5
Old 01-16-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I don't think this is possible on any version, but I am admittedly not too clear on what you really want/need here. What's the end goal?
thanks for replies
basically i am talking about quickly accessing different arrangements of track playlists ie take a snapshot of combinations of playlists from different tracks. so lets say i have multiple takes for guitar, bass and keyboard on their respective tracks but i like a particular combination of these 3 and want to easily access it later on eg maybe i want to export them to a separate file as they might be the basis for a new song.

In the new version of cubase you can give each of these separate takes the same version id and then u can simply use this to hear the 3 takes played together without altering your current arrangement.

i am a bit surprised PT doesn't do this tbh, steinberg clearly thought it was a feature worth having. In fact i seem to remember in the early versions of cubase u could have separate arrangements stored as .arr files for each song so this seems to be their way of reintroducing that facility.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post

EDIT: Wow, Cubase is looking slick in the new version. Maybe it's time to upgrade from my old copy of 5.5
yes i am a bit torn as to where to spend my money when it comes to upgrading. PT might be the industry standard but u get a lot more content with other daws like cubase and PT still doesn't seem to treat drum tracks any differently to other midi tracks ie the piano roll doesn't change to show drum names: bass,snare,tom etc.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM

The method I detailed will work. The order of playlists combined with track grouping and solo will achieve the same result as take ID.

There might be an alternative method involving clip ratings, but I'm not in front of my rig right now.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
The method I detailed will work. The order of playlists combined with track grouping and solo will achieve the same result as take ID.

There might be an alternative method involving clip ratings, but I'm not in front of my rig right now.
PL/s = playlist/s
i've no doubt yr method will work but i was thinking of something more elegant whereby PLs can be assigned to a group in situ without having to move them about eg create a group and then add any PL to it.
i am a bit taken aback that only the main PL for a track and not all its PLs is listed in the "New group..." dialogue box - this is the only tweak to PT i need to achieve what i want. that way any number of combinations of PLs could be quickly put into their own groups, assuming 1 PL per track ofcourse.
the example i gave above is slightly misleading because i was just trying to illustrate what i was trying to achieve not do that particular example. as i said it is possible to do this in the latest version of cubase which is why i am amazed that a feature rich prog like PT can't do it.
thanks for reading/responding.