Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 11:53 PM

Default How does pro tools HD Work?

Ok...I am looking to upgrade to pro tools hd eventually. I have a few debates that I am struggling with. First off, I don't know whether to buy an analog consule and record into pro tools and mix on the analog board, or buy a digital mixer/control surface to be fully intergrated with pro tools. My main question is how would I accomplish both of these tasks??? Here is the two scenarios I am looking into:

ANALOG SET UP
1. Toft ATB 32 Channel console
2. Pro Tools HD2
3. Digidesign 96 i/o
4. Digidesign midi interface

my main question for the above set up is how would I get at least 40 analog channels in and out of pro tools for recording and mixing analog? I could hook up four 96 i/o's and that would give me 32 analog ins and outs and could then use the adat ins and outs for even more channels right?? How would I hook up the midi interface?

DIGITAL SET UP
1. Control 24 or other recommended surface?
2. Pro Tools HD2
3. Digidesign 96 i/o
4. Digidesign midi interface

The main issue here is that I don't know how I would hook this to the 96 i/o's so that I could use all 24 faders for mixing. Also, How could I hook up outboard gear, mic pre's, etc. to this set up.

My main focus is running a medium sized home recording studio to record local bands, artists, groups, etc. I want to be able to make professional sounding albums from start to finish.

What would you guys do???

I know its a lot,
Seth
Old 03-21-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: How does pro tools HD Work?

Quote:
I know its a lot,
Seth
Yes, it is — especially if it needs typing. But I do have a few recommendations for you, Seth.

Visit Digidesign’s main web site and its pages dedicated to document downloads. There you’ll find pdf versions of the various owner’s manual. The ones for hardware, such as audio and MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, and so on, typically feature plenty of diagrams which —more often than not — can shed light on complex issues such as the ones you raise. (You’re going to have to read those manuals at some point anyway — why not get an early start?)

Also, go and talk to your retailer of choice. If they want your business, let them earn it (most actually know how). Perhaps, they can even put you in touch with a local Digidesign rep.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)