Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 04:17 PM

Default How to get good loops/beats?

Right now I have digi001 with protools. I have acoustic/electric/bass guitars, a kurzweil 2500x, and a triton rack. I want to get those cool loops/beats u here for Pop/trance/rap/hip-hop/electronica. On my kurzweil I do have drum kits that are really cool but i want to get into loops. Should I buy some cd-roms with loops on them and load them into my kurweil or should I purchase synth modules? Im really clueless about all this stuff. Like what exactly is sampling? So basically what do I need to create awesome loops/beats that I can record bass/vocals/ and guitars over? I'm looking for high quality proffessional stuff...so price isn't really a problem. I don't want cheap stuff that sux I want people to mention some the best products. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:06 PM

Default Re: How to get good loops/beats?

Hey ~
I hear you!
I highly recommend Multi-loops.

Check out the demo at http://www.Multiloops.com

They come in very easy to use PT formatt.
I love em.
Studio Projects C1• Oktava 219 • SM57
Guitar • Bass • Drum Machine • Roland Sound Canvas
Really Nice Compressor • JoeMeek VC3Q • Mackie 1202 VLZ
Midi Controller
No $$$$
Old 12-06-2001, 05:10 PM

Slow down geezer, [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Going for high end gear wont solve your problems (not that most music stores would refuse your cash). try spending a bit of time with your equipment manuals and the basic principles of what your after should become a bit clearer.
sound-on-sound.com is worth a visit for tutorials and the like. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2001, 05:31 PM

Two suggestions:
1) check out REASON at www.propellerheads.se

2) check out DiscreteDrums at www.discretedrums.com

Enjoy!
Old 12-06-2001, 05:50 PM

Here is my suggestion for using loops with the mac. Buy recycle. buy reason. Buy some sampling cd's from east west and import them into recyle. Now you have a rex file that can be played with reason and locked into pro tools via the iac bus in oms. It works fine. Set all you loops up in the reason sequencer and since they are rex loops you don't have to worry about tempos and time compression and expansion. Once you are done. Make audio files into pro tools and there you go.Since acid is not available for the mac this is the best way to go. Recycle is great b/c you can also use the slices to add snare fills etc. I also recommend native instruments battery. I started using loops with a sampling cd and pro tools le. I would import the loop into le and then line it up and time compress it using audio suite. this works but is a pain in the a**. Reason and recyle is worth the money.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:55 PM

Make them.
1. Record the drum beats from whatever into your P.T. and cut them up until they are what you want.
2. Hire a good drummer for a day, pump some cd's into the headphones and have him/her play along and then go back to suggestion #1.
3. Spend tons of money on Acid (or other)cds and you'll still want to go back and apply suggestion #1
4. Hell, hire me and I'll do it for you, I accept checks.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:46 PM

Clavia ddrum4 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Or just use Pro Tools and the drumkits from your K2500 and Triton.

Lifting a loop off a sample CD is hardly 'creating' your own beats. Quick and easy, yes, but just not as creative.

Phil
Old 12-07-2001, 09:14 AM

IMHO dont get a computer based programs it only slows down your computer get a stand alone drum/ sampler. Spend some money and get a MPC 2000XL you will spend more time creating and the MPC will do the looping not to mention it is the best drum machine out there. It loops much tighter than a computer or the Triton. Plus almost every top Hip Hop /Trance/House producer uses this. This piece is not up for question it is a must if you are going to produce this type of music. Plus there are alot of help boards for the MPC and if you need any drum sounds holler at me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 09:53 AM

i agree with b-boy. you need a mpc2000xl and thats the end of it. $1500. dont mess with the bush league software stuff. step up with the big boys. you wont catch dre sittin in front of a computer trying to make his drum loops! once you have that you have everything you need. a triton, the 2500. your set. the only thing im confused about is that you dont know what sampling is but you have all this stuff? if you want to you can use the 2000 to sequence everything too. man, can i come over... im still waiting for my triton rack.
oh yea, bboy what mpc forums do you know of?
JE
Old 12-11-2001, 04:15 PM

buy reason. it makes the phattest beats and is super easy to use. cheaper, and therefore more DIY and therefore more punk rock. not to be confused with punk assed.