Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2014, 05:45 PM

Default Best Live Set Up 4 11Rack?

opinions please. whats the best live set up for 11 rack. i was thinking a power amp to cab with the cab sims off on the unit. would it make a difference if i got a solid state or tube power amp or should i go with an active speaker with the cab sims on the unit turned on? thanks for any response
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Best Live Set Up 4 11Rack?

I'm using a pair of Alto TS112A's along with a Beringer FC1010 with the Eureka prom 2.0. Some others are also using the Alto's with their 11r's. Works quite well for me. Lots of power. I did have to spend a fair amount of time with the Alto's to dial in sounds that worked.
Seagate 500GB GoFlex Pro 7200rpm Firewire 800 Ultra Portable Drive
Audient iD22 and Focusrite Pro 40 Interfaces
Focusrite Red 3 compressor
Lexicon 300
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Waves Gold Bundle • CLA Classic Compressors • Slate FG-X, VBC, VCC, VTM
Slate Trigger EX • Superior Drummer 2.0
Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 PM

There's numerous posts on that question. I think it is a pity if you disable the cab sims and go into a regular guitar cabinet because you're losing some of the characteristic elements of various sounds. If you're using the 11r not just for one tone ("your" tone), but to simulate classic amps, their cabinets and speaker configurations make a huge part of their iconic tone. Run a Vox AC 30 into a 4x12 Celestion Vintage 30 and you'll lose the transparent chime. Run a Marshall JCM 800 into a 1x12" Jensen and you'll lose the fat, big bottom. See what I mean?
Hence if modeling such iconic amps is your goal I would always prefer to use the speaker sims and run into a FR FR solution (full range flat response).
Note that most activ wedges massively colour the tone, except for high-end stuff like the RCF NS 12 or similar. They all tend to make it boomy and bassy (to pretend they are bigger cabinets than what they look like). But that can be corrected in the eq.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 AM

This is a hard question to answer since everyone will use their Eleven Rack differently and we value different things in our setups.

Great suggestions so far, and I would probably also suggest using FRFR speakers.

However, the best thing for you to do would be to go down to your local music store and try out some different solutions.

Call them first and make sure it's ok to bring down your Eleven Rack with your presets loaded. Most "mom & pop" places should be fine with this, especially if you already have a relationship with them.

Try out the Eleven Rack with FRFR speakers and a Power Amp cab combo. This way you will get a better idea of what you will need to tweak in your rigs to get them sounding good through each solution, and go from there.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 PM

i guess one of my main goals with this eleven rack live rig is to get a sound and feel closest to a tube amp as possible. i have a 4x12 cab with vintage 30's. i thought about powering the eleven rack with a carvin ts100 tube power amp. i'll have to check out all the FRFR options out there. i don't know much about them or if they can replicate the tube amp tone.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, and definitely a novice guitar player, so take this as uninformed as it is.

I have seen a few folks since the Eleven Rack first came out that have used the Tech 21 Power Engine 60 for live playing. See the user reviews on the Sweetwater site, for example:
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

The price had been around $399 for a few years, and I only happened to think about it again a week or so ago when Sweetwater had an $80 price drop on it. I checked back a couple of days later, and it had gone up to $419. So since I missed the deal (not to mention I will never be asked to play live by anyone with ears), I didn't get one.

But worth keeping in mind as one possibility if you have a chance to listen to one sometime with an amp modeler in front of it, and a good deal pops up.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Depends of the rigs you have. Mine are based around JTM45, Plexi and JCM800 so I'm using a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp connected to a Peavey 4x12" loaded with Celestion G12K85: it's pure heaven!!!!

Recently I play some gigs (as I'm a bass player more than a guitar player) and brought my 11R for my friend guitar player. I setup different rigs based more on PA playback: it sounded incredible thru an FRFR Yorkville NX55P with sub and 2x Mackie SR1530).
Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 PM

I can't tell how well this is going to work but I intend to use an 11R Direct box linked from XLR into the Return fx loop of my Fender Deluxe VM 40watt 1x12'' Combo amp. In addition I would like to run a Direct XLR into the house PA and run a blend between the sounds. Sound check for my first show will be the tell all. I may choose one over the other.

At rehearsal my fellow guitarist is running a JCM800 Half Stack. I spent about 2 hours tonight creating a single channel that I can control with my EurekaProm enabled FCB1010 to keep up with that monster.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 PM

A DI box is meant to convert from unsymetric 1/4" jacks to symetric XLRs. Not the other way round.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:07 AM

I've tried both the FRFR option and the power amp with speaker option, I found the power amp and speaker box sounded far better and more realistic sounding.
I also turn off the cab sims.