Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 AM

Default DV to Complete Toolkit Upgrade is Back-at a higher price

It's back now, but it's $799 instead of the previous $299:

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...07048795257792
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Re: DV to Complete Toolkit Upgrade is Back-at a higher price

It offers more now than it did then. I have no issue with that price. I think it's worth every penny.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Well thats much better than not having any upgrade option at all.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM

so now this 'upgrade' is $800 and what exactly do i get from my dvtk besides disk cache?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 AM

DTS,

You may want to check the details on the purchase page. There are points that no longer apply.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
so now this 'upgrade' is $800 and what exactly do i get from my dvtk besides disk cache?
As everything significant in DVTK is now already in Pro Tools the 'Upgrade' is everything listed as in CPTK... Higher track count, advanced automation, VCA's, Surround mixing to name the basics.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 PM

I'm fairly satisfied. I wish there was a better deal for those of us with both the MPTK and the DVTK 2, but beggars can't be choosers. I also wish Avid would have handled the situation a little better, especially here on the DUC. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309496&page=13
Time to save up the rupees.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 AM

@Avid

Two questions.

Do we need to surrender the DVTK2 licenses ?
There have been concerns about this in the past, and users were then told that they could keep their DVTK2 licences for backwards compatibility for two years or so. I still have multibooting v7 systems running, so I would be one of those users. Same iLok, no problem for me.

On the page http://www.avid.com/US/products/Comp...m-requirements it says
"Avid-qualified Pro Tools system running Pro Tools 10 or higher software"

We can use the CPTK license with Protools 9, correct ? Not only Protools 10 ? Just want to make sure here.
The German page for the CPTK lists only "Protools Software" as a requirement, not Protools 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barakka View Post
As everything significant in DVTK is now already in Pro Tools the 'Upgrade' is everything listed as in CPTK... Higher track count, advanced automation, VCA's, Surround mixing to name the basics.
Significant is a subjective term buddy. They did not include any of the automation writing functions we got in the DVToolkit2 option.

However, CPTK2 does add great functionality that DVTK2 did not have. Those "advanced automation" functions are the stuff we had in DVTK2(edit menu commands such as Write To All Enabled and Glide), and all the stuff only HD used to have. That's the Preview/Capture/Punch/WriteTo*/AutoJoin/Match, and one spanking snapshot(upgradable to 48 memory slots with a spanking D-Command).

What you do not get however is the option to use your own computer keyboard to trigger most of these functions. I suppose that may be coming in Protools 11, when Protools is again at the tail end of the DAW world in introducing customizable keyboard shortcuts, so you don't have to buy an artist series unit for $1000+ to fire off Protools functions that have no shortcuts.

They do sell great hardware, but who likes being forced to buy it for reasons like that?

Moaning. It's still worth it for some folks, though it's still a very high price compared to before. Demand, eh ? Looks like our good will is about as important for Avid as we thought. They wouldn't have multiplied the price by almost three if it wasn't.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Here is the newest comparison chart of CPTK and HD. It looks like the only thing missing now is Solo Bus AFL/PFL:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Comp...specifications

To the other question, you will definitely surrender your DV Toolkit license. What happened in the past was some people were able to have Avid send them an NFR (not for resale) copy (or license) for backwards compatibility. There's no guarantee they will still do this (and going by how strict they've been, I wouldn't expect it).

And as for it working in PT9, there's no reason it shouldn't, because it's just an Ilok license for CPTK2, which is what was used in PT9. It simply unlocks the features, there's nothing to install in either 9 or 10, unlike there was in 8.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM

According to the chart, why would anyone wants PT HD native if CPTK offers everything HD offers ( aside from solo bus AFL) plus the ability to use any interface.

I will be upgrading one of my system to HDX and still unsure wether to go HD Native or CPTK for the second system.