Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 AM

Default DVToolkit2 vs Pro Tools 10

Has anyone compared the features of Pro Tools 8 with DVTK2, and Pro Tools 10?
Since the Toolkit upgrade was pulled, I am wondering which direction I should go with future purchases.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Default Re: DVToolkit2 vs Pro Tools 10

Your question is a little confusing.

The DV Toolkit is discontinued. Unless you have found a copy somewhere on Ebay, or you're buying a license from someone else.

Basically, all the functionality that was in the DV Toolkit is in both PT 9 and 10, standard. The only exception is the ability to have more than one video track. For that, in PT9 and 10, you would need the Complete Toolkit.

So, unless you already have PT8, and find an incredible deal on the DV Toolkit, it's probably cheaper to get PT10.

Note that the DV Toolkits never included Surround functionality, nor does PT9 or 10. That has always only been with the Complete Toolkit.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM

you also lose advanced automation features like capture and write to all. this is a crucial set of moves for me, but i'm not gonna spend $300 for the PT upgrade then $2k for the cptk just to side-grade and keep my current features.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM

To clear things up, I am running Pro Tools 8 with DVTK2, I upgraded to PT9 and when I went to upgrade DVTK2, it was no longer available.
Part of what I wanted to know has been answered, and that is that some of the functionality offered with DVTK2 no longer works in PT10 without of course buying CPTK at full price.
I and others have been burned pretty bad, I just wanted to know what others in my situation are opting to do. I am not sure I can trust Avid enough to buy another Toolkit option, maybe upgrading to HD might be a safer investment?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM

I myself, went looking for alternatives for 5.1 / i have had HD rigs for years now and went native after working in Logic for a couple years .. logic is not for me for mixing, writing yes .. so I jumped on PT9 and loved it ... as well as PT10, love that too ...

i noticed that the Neyrinck 51 LE plugin for working in 5.1 in pro tools LE is gone ... that would have helped with that feature .. it used to be 189.00 ( i can fake 5.1 as I really like to do discreet mixing but if you like to pan in between it will not work as well unless you pan between stereo pairs) ..

disk cache would be nice but personally not needed yet ...

miss volume trim from HD but the new little fader in PT10 works pretty much the same way ...

i will keep watching this thread for some smoother solutions ... 299.00 update to CPTK was there for so long we all took it for granted or did not need the features and had no way of knowing overnight it would be gone ..

cheers

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniri View Post
To clear things up, I am running Pro Tools 8 with DVTK2, I upgraded to PT9 and when I went to upgrade DVTK2, it was no longer available.
Part of what I wanted to know has been answered, and that is that some of the functionality offered with DVTK2 no longer works in PT10 without of course buying CPTK at full price.
I and others have been burned pretty bad, I just wanted to know what others in my situation are opting to do. I am not sure I can trust Avid enough to buy another Toolkit option, maybe upgrading to HD might be a safer investment?
I found someone selling a copy of PT HD 10 for a lot less than the $2500 AVID wanted from me to upgrade my PT7 HD licenses. I got everything CPTK has and that also left me with an extra version of PT 9 and DV Toolkit 2 for my laptop.

I know they also have a full version of PT 10 HD for sale.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Your question is a little confusing.

The DV Toolkit is discontinued. Unless you have found a copy somewhere on Ebay, or you're buying a license from someone else.

Basically, all the functionality that was in the DV Toolkit is in both PT 9 and 10, standard. The only exception is the ability to have more than one video track. For that, in PT9 and 10, you would need the Complete Toolkit.
That is unfortunately not the whole story.

DVTK2 enables automation writing commands in the edit menu(and their shortcuts).

Those commands are gone in Protools 9 and 10. They moved those features in to the Complete Production Toolkit(1 and now 2). The DVToolkit 2 only works and is useful for ProtoolsLE 7 and Protools LE 8.

Those automation commands are what I miss most in Protools 9. It's the reason I'm still editing dialogue, effects and producing premixes in Protools 7.

And now the upgrade path to CPTK is gone. Dick move, but that's what Avid did.

The Complete Production Toolkit enables some great mixing features in v9 and 10, namely VCA faders, Preview/Capture/Write commands and the already mentioned multiple video tracks and simple editing capabilities. Unless you can find a license cheaper on eBay, and that is possible, it's $2000.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM

does anyone know what the deal is with people selling HD licenses ? i was looking into this .. cheaper than CPTK and when PT11 comes out and has all the features of CPTK within it those peeps that bought CPTK for 2 G's will be caught out in the cold again ... so buying an HD license should be a better upgrade path for the future .. that being said, i just cannot see how you can sell the license for HD, without the hardware, and have it be viewed by Avid as a viable upgrade path in the future ... anyone have any ideas ?

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
does anyone know what the deal is with people selling HD licenses ? i was looking into this .. cheaper than CPTK and when PT11 comes out and has all the features of CPTK within it those peeps that bought CPTK for 2 G's will be caught out in the cold again ... so buying an HD license should be a better upgrade path for the future .. that being said, i just cannot see how you can sell the license for HD, without the hardware, and have it be viewed by Avid as a viable upgrade path in the future ... anyone have any ideas ?
And that unknown factor is the thing that makes the Toolkit a possibly safer bet.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM

agreed Hobo .. it is the unknown ... the great beyond ...

i hear PT11 will have a new Blender plugin that will make a margarita out of vodka, dirt, and fresh limes ... no substitute for fresh fruit ... the GUI will have a nice lite green color ...

seriously, these are confusing times .. if we had only had a 2 week notice that CPTk was being discontinued we would have all purchased it and Avid would have had a nice influx of cash. 299.00 times how many users looking to upgrade ... they could have even up'd the price to 399.00 and we still would have drank the Koolaid ..

we are loyal ... a notice out to all users of DVtookit owners would have been a very nice thing to do and would have been good business sense.

we are still loyal even through all this confusion and disbelief at a seemingly underhanded trick it is just business but without consumers your business will lack loyal customers ... but still we are loyal ..

we like the software functionality ... and it keeps getting better for sure ..

Rant done .. sorry, had some fresh apple juice and some Hemp granola and have more energy than i know what to do with .. think i will run a marathon around the studio ..

now i am holding on for bug fixes for PT10 and forward to PT11 ... i am not holding my breath for all the features of HD / HDX in the software only version. if we follow the Digi / Avid track record there will always be a slightly less functional version and then the Top of the Line ...

i use PT9 & 10 / Logic 9 for music and am looking at Nuendo for the post features ... as I had a 5.1 project come across my desk ... since I am software only PT10 I will need to open that project in Logic for now ... as you need either HD or CPTk for 5.1 ... that is a peave of mine that we are not able to do 5.1 in PT10 software only ... and now the Neyrinck 51 plugin for PTle is 2995.00 a bit out of my range at the moment ..

dawn apple juice is raging .. :)

cheers

john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro