Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 AM

Default 8.0.3 works perfect

I can't believe all the complaining about 8.0.3 and snow leopard. I had been using the prerelease on my portable rig for a month or two now with no issues other than the lagging cursor. Now that the official release is out I updated my portable rig ( 13" MacBook Pro) and my main rig ( early Mac Pro). They both work great with no issues, even on big sessions with lots of 3rd party plugs (Waves7, PSP, McDSP, SPL, Chandler/EMI, oZone etc.). I can't help but wonder what some people do to their machines to cause all these problems I read about. I can't really say I think that most of them are Digi's fault, or maybe I'm just lucky, but I think if you keep your stuff up to date, keep your hard drive clean anyone can have my luck.
The last major bug I can think of was in 7.4 when the waveforms wouldn't draw properly which made editing a pain unless your refreshed waveform overviews all the time.

I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with PT8 LE. With a fast computer and some better 3rd party A/D and D/A it's a pretty decent setup in my opinion.

I just felt like making a positive post since most people just come here to bitch. I would say 99% of the time it works fine if you're careful and smart about it. When things do get weird, trash prefs, reinstall PT or redo the OS and you're good to go again.

Also, I'm interested to see if and what new products or systems get announced this January at NAMM. I learned PT with LE so I also just learned to deal with the fact that you can't use certain plugins without causing latency problems, either work around it or use one that isn't late, but I wouldn't mind if they released a new system in the LE price range that had delay comp. As far as tracking, most machines now can track at 32 samples even with some basic plugins, so you can still use all the outs of an 003 for headphone mixes etc.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 AM

Default Re: 8.0.3 works perfect

OK, so how about any reviews on the upgrade and Leopard? I'm hoping for some stability for us Leopard users.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Re: 8.0.3 works perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
OK, so how about any reviews on the upgrade and Leopard? I'm hoping for some stability for us Leopard users.
Well, I rant PT 8.0.3 on Leopard on three machines for about 48 hours and it rean great. Actually it seemed to be smoother and snappier (objective feeling). I then upgrade one machine to Snolw Leopard and now all three are on Snow Leopard and running fine.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1