Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Surround in LE?

Hey, folks. This may seem a silly question, but is 5.1 surround panning only available in TDM systems? (And if so, why?)

I know the temptation is to say, "If you want professional features, buy an HD system," but I work in higher ed. After shelling out for 25 M-Boxes, there's no way they'll OK a TDM system.

Are there software plug-ins available? Help!

Thanks much!
Old 08-08-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Surround in LE?

Sorry man, TDM only
Old 08-08-2005, 06:25 AM

TDM only

BUT

if you know the right plugins and have some knowledge, you can *almost* create 5.1 soundscapes with only sterio speakers

*cough* wavearts panorama *cough*

enjoy

--Dazrae
Old 08-08-2005, 06:33 AM

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?secti...storycode=4599
Old 08-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?secti...storycode=4599
thats really good/cool to know , but my only thing is how do get it into a surround sound file type?

i'm guessing you would have to bounce each master fader to a seperate file, then you would need a program that can combine them all together, but which program?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM

You can do surround in LE... at least you can set up the required 6 channels.

I've resigned to requiring additional software to finalize surround mixes.

It was appearant that Sony had the best solutions for us hobbyists and I purchased Vegas+DVD.

So now I can do my surround panning/mixing and mastering in Vegas and seamlessly port to DVD software. Since Vegas (and several other Sony products) have surround built in and is ASIO compatable, you can still use your Digi hardware to interface with Sony.

I still do the raw editing and mixing in PTLE, but this limitation is a bit behind the times. If you only have MBox's, you're kinda stuck with stereo as far as the interface goes. I use the OO2 console with a Digimax LT and a Platinum Waves bundle & IR-1.

Maybe your school would spring for some additional software to 'enhance' their investment.
Sony is well known for audio quality, and even in Vegas, they have not implemented any shortcuts.
Plus... here is the clincher for the bean counters... you get video support; real video support

[please post a question in only on catagory ]