Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2023, 12:32 PM

Default Eleven MkII

What is that exactly? Is it just $99 standalone plug-in software or can all these new amps and cabs etc be loaded in to Eleven Rack?

I’m guessing no.

One of the things I love about my 11R, is how it feels…….how it responds to input from me. It’s like playing through a ‘real’ amp. I have a Fender Custom Shop 64 Reissue Vibroverb with the Cesar Diaz mods and a killer pedalboard with some lovely pedals ( including the German Texas Flood SE) which I’ve gone back to but honestly at gigs I often wish I had chosen to bring the 11R rig. (11R, power amp, two 1X12 cabs, Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro, analog pedalboard) There’s something about the way the tones sit in the mix of the band’s stage sound whereas the Vibroverb is very in your face. The 11R sounds more polished, pro, sophisticated…….if that makes sense? But either or…..I know I can be happy with what I get.

As to using Eleven plug-in: What concerns me about using any software amp sim plug-in with Pro Tools, including Eleven, is even a tiny amount of latency and just a crappy feel overall while playing/laying down tracks.

Any thoughts there?

I know this is a dead horse flog, but I will never understand why Avid did not continue to develop 11R, add amp/speaker etc updates or even make a whole new version. It sounds so good with way more than enough tones.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 10-21-2023, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Eleven MkII

Couldn't agree more, love mine and have zero reason to change. Just hope it doesn't blow up but it seems pretty well built...
Old 10-21-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
I know this is a dead horse flog, but I will never understand why Avid did not continue to develop 11R, add amp/speaker etc updates or even make a whole new version. It sounds so good with way more than enough tones.
Avid pushed out/likely fired the core Eleven Rack team especially Chris Townsend (ultimate win for UAD, as has been the case of other Avid departures). The Eleven Rack had been allowed to slide as bargain priced interface to bundle Pro Tools with and I suspect management had no idea how to market the box. And once it was perceived to be a bargain/bundle it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that the platform will not be invested in. And then they had pressure from above with Fractal and Kemper with much more focus and marketing smarts, Fractal had better customer support and focused community (well Chris was a one man support org while he was on DUC) and the Fractal box was better for live performances (and therefore word of mouth marketing and celebrity endorsements) and you had folks like Larry Mitchell just killing it with the Fractal boxes. Avid would have had to take on these competitors aggressively, and while I suspect that could have been done from a technical product/technical product team viewpoint with the original team I doubt Avid overall was up for the challenge.

Avid management at that time was beyond incompetent, it's gotten better, but way too late to be useful here. Buy spares, I have three.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:44 PM

Sad but true.

However in my opinion Avid was right in discontinuing Eleven. It was nothing more than a Line6 competitor -- emulation.

If you want good guitar tone you still need tubes.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sad but true.

However in my opinion Avid was right in discontinuing Eleven. It was nothing more than a Line6 competitor -- emulation.

If you want good guitar tone you still need tubes.
Tubes. LOL. You are going to get more of a change in tone by using different cabinet speakers.
Almost every plugin
Old 10-27-2023, 08:57 AM

I happen to like MKII as a native amp sim. I used it a lot back when it first came out. Their web page shows that you can upgrade to it for $99, but don't believe it.

https://www.avid.com/plugins/eleven-mk-ii

I recently started up with PT again with Intro, and I wanted to upgrade the included Eleven Lite to MKII, but no matter how hard I tried, Avid would not take my money. I emailed, called, yelled, screamed, threw money at them, and they would not honor the price on the page. It was really weird. You can only get it as a bundle or with higher PT licenses.

I had to got with a competitor for my amp sim.

Odd way to do business.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:50 AM

That's annoying, although I would have gone with the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle since for $49/year you get other useful plugins as well. And if you upgrade to Artist or Ultimate you can cancel that separately.

If you ask on DUC folks may have an Eleven II license to sell you.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:00 AM

I still use Eleven MKII as my primary amp sim in every session.
I try different cab sim plugins too but have always fallen back to the baked-in stuff. They got so many things right with Eleven.

Life is like an Analogy.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:04 AM

They did indeed. I have long found it easier to dial in stuff than other amp sims, but by now that might just be familiarity and fading memory.