Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Default Re: 1 Million Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Just thought I'd make a belated announcement on something that seemed to have went unnoticed. This very thread reached it's milestone of 1 million views!

I think this happened around summer time. At it's current 1.1 million views, it continues to be the most viewed thread on the forum week after week. A toast goes out to all the computer builders and trail blazers who continue to make Pro Tools successful on the Windows platform.

That said, I'm looking forward to my next build.

Shane
This thread has had a busy 5 years.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

A good reminder to check in here again.

So many of us seem to have kept out builds in the past years, so unlike previous years.

Just now I'm almost at the point of procuring a Samsung 840 EVO for the system disk, but my trusty old i7 920 chugs along just fine.

Cheers to over 1 million views, and cheers to the next million.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 AM

Tired of watching snowmageddon 2014, so for what it's worth.
For my system listed on page 1.
400 D-VERB's at 1024 buffer with the Focusrite FW set to medium latency.
Using 10 plugins per track, 40 tracks.
System disk usage over 100% using 80 tracks. (older drive)
PT11, W7.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
..... who continue to make Pro Tools successful on the Windows platform.

Windows ? What's that? A new plugin ?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM

And THIS thread only started in 2009 as a follow-up to the previous windows thread.

Re - Thunderbolt. If you are building a NEW computer I urge you to look at the ASUS motherboard with thunderbolt built in (two sockets).
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87DELUXEDUAL/

It is $399. It is an LGA 1150 platform, which got a late start in the ProTools world because (for some reason) ProTools preferred the alternative chipset LGA 2011.

But as far as I know the 1150 platform is now ProTools compatible (please tell me if I am wrong) making this a good alternative. It costs a little more but you get Thunderbolt. If you wanted to add T-bolt to an existing PC it would probably cost more for a PCIe card - when they become available (which should not be too long).
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Just thought I'd make a belated announcement on something that seemed to have went unnoticed. This very thread reached it's milestone of 1 million views!

I think this happened around summer time. At it's current 1.1 million views, it continues to be the most viewed thread on the forum week after week. A toast goes out to all the computer builders and trail blazers who continue to make Pro Tools successful on the Windows platform.

That said, I'm looking forward to my next build.

Shane
Thanks Shane. I found YYR123's post from August highlighting this significant milestone. Wow!

To all who have contributed to this topic... your knowledge is a great benefit to our community and is very much appreciated. Thank you for sharing your time and experience.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemates View Post
And THIS thread only started in 2009 as a follow-up to the previous windows thread.

Re - Thunderbolt. If you are building a NEW computer I urge you to look at the ASUS motherboard with thunderbolt built in (two sockets).
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87DELUXEDUAL/

It is $399. It is an LGA 1150 platform, which got a late start in the ProTools world because (for some reason) ProTools preferred the alternative chipset LGA 2011.

But as far as I know the 1150 platform is now ProTools compatible (please tell me if I am wrong) making this a good alternative. It costs a little more but you get Thunderbolt. If you wanted to add T-bolt to an existing PC it would probably cost more for a PCIe card - when they become available (which should not be too long).
1150 has been fine, But the 2011 socket are more core processors (6 instead of 4) so they are in preference due to power (but more expensive) The 2011 socket does not support thunderbolt. So they are just different. All in all thunderbolt support is so minimal on Windows, there is not a lot you can do with it. Neil Hester and I spent some time with the UA crew getting the lowdown on why Windows support has been so minimal, why some UA products would work for some Windows users on Thunderbolt and why their new interfaces such as the twin flat out will not work on Windows.

Basically until Microsoft creates a unified TB driver, it is like hitting a moving target to create drivers for Asus, Gigabyte, and other motherboard devs. Up till now UA TB was riding on the FireWire lanes so TB users on Windows with the standard Microsft FireWire driver would have luck. The new twin and UA drivers going forward will not be using the FireWire lanes, they will be riding the PCIE, so we are ou of luck until Microsft gets us a universal driver.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Basically until Microsoft creates a unified TB driver, it is like hitting a moving target to create drivers for Asus, Gigabyte, and other motherboard devs.
There it is. Any manufacturer can come up with their own driver, but it's not much good without a standard. Microsoft has the resources and support of third parties, so they would be able to accomplish much more if they collaborated with Intel on this one.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
There it is. Any manufacturer can come up with their own driver, but it's not much good without a standard. Microsoft has the resources and support of third parties, so they would be able to accomplish much more if they collaborated with Intel on this one.
It took MS a couple years to get it together for FireWire also so it's no real surprise to me. It will happen, it's just a matter of how soon or how long!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-13-2014, 05:47 PM

Focusrite says their interfaces work with the Apple TB to FW adapter.