Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Passive speaker recommendations

Thanks for all the great input guys. My experience w/powered speakers has been that they tend to sound a bit shrill and the bass and mids sound compressed to me. This is probably because of the class D power amps most of them use to save space & weight. I dunno, they just have "a sound" to them.

I wondered about the wisdom of dragging around a separate amp too. FRFR seemed much more logical in that way, but the sound tends to be a bit thin to me, especially on the lower end cabinets. So I figured that since I have a good amp, I could put more money into better drivers and cabinets. I guess time will tell. I also thought about using FRF's with my acoustic, but figured I'd just run it through the 11R and EQ for it. I'm still looking at passive cabs and I'll keep posting any good info I find on this thread.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAR Fritz View Post
Gave up on the passive speakers StormCrow, and wound up getting a pair of Alto TS112A's. I got to try them out at Guitar Center. Been pretty happy with them so far and the price was right. Someone else here is using them too and I believe are also pleased with them.
Don't want to resuscitate an old tread but I was looking for an Alto SMX112A (because of size and convenience) and wondering if they are as good as your TS112A?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Don't know much about the SXM112a. Is it a powered floor monitor? If I'm not mistaken you can lay the TS112a on its side and tilt it.

I've been using my TS112A's for well over a year and they work and sound great for me. I have a gig coming up playing in an "acoustic" duo. I'm playing bass, acoustic, and electric guitar. I created rigs in my 11r for each instrument. The Alto's are working like a champ. I couldn't be happier with the sound!

Fritz
Seagate 500GB GoFlex Pro 7200rpm Firewire 800 Ultra Portable Drive
Audient iD22 and Focusrite Pro 40 Interfaces
Focusrite Red 3 compressor
Lexicon 300
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Waves Gold Bundle • CLA Classic Compressors • Slate FG-X, VBC, VCC, VTM
Slate Trigger EX • Superior Drummer 2.0
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM

Yes the Alto SMX112A is an active coaxial floor monitor, I think with the same poweramp as the TS112A. I favor the SMX112A simply because of the size. I already have a set of passive Peavey PR12 that I can match with a rackmount poweramp, but the active monitor route is more adapted to what I do.

I read only good reviews about the TS112A but there's almost no reviews for the SMX112A. I expect them to sound in the same ballpark, but would have liked an 11R user testimony :)

Thanks