Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Default AAF import in ProTools 10

I have problems when importing AAF files from Vegas/Premiere in ProTools 10. Track volume and pan cannot be recognized. But when I try to import it in MediaComposer it works fine. It is very important for my workflow since I would like to mix/finalize the audio in ProTools instead of in Vegas/Premiere.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM

Default Re: AAF import in ProTools 10

In your "Import Session Data" window at the bottom it has a few check boxes and on the right says "Track Data to Import" does this say "ALL"

On the left does it say "Convert Clip Based Gain to Automation?"
Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 PM

From my understanding, it's not possible to import omf/aaf files from Vegas. I had a client who tried over and over and after calling Sony support and looking up on Creativecow.com to no avail. So I ended up getting all the tracks rendered. about 24 tracks, which was a bit over 6gb of files with a lot of dead space and it was a headache. Told the client on his next film to throw the Vegas in the trash and get a mac and fcp or mc or another professional video software.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
From my understanding, it's not possible to import omf/aaf files from Vegas. I had a client who tried over and over and after calling Sony support and looking up on Creativecow.com to no avail. So I ended up getting all the tracks rendered. about 24 tracks, which was a bit over 6gb of files with a lot of dead space and it was a headache. Told the client on his next film to throw the Vegas in the trash and get a mac and fcp or mc or another professional video software.
Premier is also a NIGHTMARE!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 06-03-2012, 04:22 AM

The problem is not in Vegas/Premiere AAF. It is under specification and imports fine in Avid Media Composer. But maybe ProTools expects different pan/volume representation. It seems that MediaComposer supports both representations, but ProTools does not. It is a real show stopper.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Grrreat. I have a project coming at me from an editor working on Premiere real soon.

Any tips or links ?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 AM

Here's a tip, for you and the OP - try reading the replies to your post.
.... just a suggestion ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
In your "Import Session Data" window at the bottom it has a few check boxes and on the right says "Track Data to Import" does this say "ALL"

On the left does it say "Convert Clip Based Gain to Automation?"
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanov View Post
The problem is not in Vegas/Premiere AAF. It is under specification and imports fine in Avid Media Composer. But maybe ProTools expects different pan/volume representation. It seems that MediaComposer supports both representations, but ProTools does not. It is a real show stopper.
If the problem persists despite all the import settings being correct when importing the AAF from Premier to Pro Tools; however, it works when importing it from Premier to Media Composer, try exporting the AAF from Media Composer and importing that to Pro Tools.

IMDb (very partial)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranerd View Post
If the problem persists despite all the import settings being correct when importing the AAF from Premier to Pro Tools; however, it works when importing it from Premier to Media Composer, try exporting the AAF from Media Composer and importing that to Pro Tools.
I just finished a feature that was all edited in premier. AAF was not an option. OMF did work but premier is not very good when dealing with Audio Editing programs.

The above advice is probably the best.

When I tried importing session data from premiers AAF I could not get it. The OMF however did work but I had to relink all the files. The picture was edited with Premier 5.5. There are countless threads on premiers audio problems, many of which are caused by that stupid merged audio function!!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM

I once had massive problems with an import from Premiere, both OMF and AAF. The editor was using Premiere's Multi-Cam function, which not only names the video clips "xyz-multicam", but also the corresponding audio clips. Premiere itself obviously couldn't relink these on export, so they weren't part of the OMF or AAF at all which left me with huge gaps in the time-line.

Unless they've completely redesigned that function, make sure the editor is not using it!