Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade back up to $1,000 dollars!

Perhaps If they released a stable product and removed the artificial voiceable tracks limitation (at least on the non tdm, software and native versions).
Perhaps then we could justify a higher price tag.

Also the push for native and software only users to a 8k upgrade to hdx to allow the higher track counts is ludicrous. Most users will never need more then 64io but they do want more voiceable tracks, (not that they have all voices playing simultaneously i.e in film/tv editorial)

Considering a end user hacked a version a few years back to allow unlimited tracks, we all know it is possible (ala Logic or Nuendo)
(based on CPU speed, disk speed etc)
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM

With the CP Toolkit or HD Software in native mode, you get playback of up to 256 mono tracks or 128 stereo tracks (256 available voices) at 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz in. That's not bad.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
With the CP Toolkit or HD Software in native mode, you get playback of up to 256 mono tracks or 128 stereo tracks (256 available voices) at 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz in. That's not bad.
I don't think anyone remembers the 24 track or 32 track days... While other DAW's offered "unlimited" tracks (which after you purchased the software, you found out that you were on your own as far as track count, as it was dependant on your rig) If you had a Digi qualified system, they GUARANTEED the number of tracks the software claimed.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 PM

WOW. I had never been burned by Avid/Digi until the discontinued the DVTK to CPTK upgrade. They actually just brought it back, after a tread on ideascale started talking class action lawsuit.

So I was faced with spending $2000 for CPTK +499 PT10 upgrade after spending $1300 on DVTK 18 months ago. I bought a brand new PT10HD license for $750 on ebay. Registered in my name and everything. There are deals out there, just not at your avid dealer.

So now DVTK to CPTK upgrade is back, my DVTK license is no longer worthless! yay. Up for grabs if any one is silly enough to actually silly enough to use it to crossgrade to CPTK

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
BTW, you're just up the road from me!
Kool, I see you holding it down.......
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 AM

ProTools will never be 100% stable. Never. Not ever.

It would take tremendous resources and money to weed out every bug, and that's not profitable. They'd be spending money to fix PT, but the customers wouldn't be buying new products. So, instead, they take their betas to an "acceptable level" of imperfection and release them as a product, providing a few big fixes along the way, and then they switch their resources back toward the implementation of new features. Things they can profit from.

They're too large to look at their customers as working individuals, they look at spreadsheets. Cost analysis. Acceptable risk. Think of Ed Norton describing automobile recalls in Fight Club. That's how corporations work. This isn't Digidesign back in the 90's where you sorta felt like part of the team.

Our facilities feel that the writing is on the wall, and we're preparing ourselves to switch everything over to an alternate company if this PT9-->PT10 fiasco is repeated by Avid.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post

They're too large to look at their customers as working individuals, they look at spreadsheets. Cost analysis. Acceptable risk. Think of Ed Norton describing automobile recalls in Fight Club. That's how corporations work. This isn't Digidesign back in the 90's where you sorta felt like part of the team.

Our facilities feel that the writing is on the wall, and we're preparing ourselves to switch everything over to an alternate company if this PT9-->PT10 fiasco is repeated by Avid.
The writing is on the wall very clearly and we too are preparing for the unfortunate future that seems to be coming this way.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM

I for one feel like Avid doesnt really care about me anymore. It seems they are now locked into this yearly upgrade scheme so they can basically soak you once a year for 1000 bucks. Its a backdoor rental agreement.
I am looking to upgrade from 8 to 10. But with all these high prices I dont know if I can afford to keep up. I dont run a studio. I do it for fun.
Oh well, I can always buy one of the cheaper alternatives...
640GB(Mac) 640GB(Windows 7) 1TB(Audio Drive)
Digi-002 Factory and M-box
LE 8.0.3 (Mac) 8.0.3 (PC)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
The writing is on the wall very clearly and we too are preparing for the unfortunate future that seems to be coming this way.
I am analyzing all my options as well thinking about a different software solution to move towards. There are quite a few options out there, it will take a bit of education for people to get up to speed but it will be cheaper then investing in more expensive DSP and continuous overpriced software upgrades.

The ship seems too big to right at this point.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Any kind of transition will certainly take a while in the post production sector. The other folks are catching up admirably, and in some ways have long surpassed Protools.

What it does have going for it though is decent workflow, but that too is riddled with problems and perhaps the codebase is so bad, it may be time to say good bye to Protools at some point.

And say hello to Media Composer. Hey, it's 64-bit and can use the plugins on inserts. Maybe that codebase isn't as bad. This is all speculation of course.

I actually like Avid's Icon hardware, and to a degree the Artist hardware. Maybe they'll just sell hardware more than software in the future, and expand their EuCon support so all the other hosts support it as well as Nuendo, Protools 10 and Logic do. It would sell hardware, though probably not so many HDX cards. But they're on the way out anyway, except for specialized high-end markets. That is an assumption supported by comon sense that may or may not be misguided of course.