Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 10, best non HD interface recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
definitely NOT the M-Audio ProFire2626. run. run like hell.
I was thinking of getting the ProFire 2626 as a 2nd interface. What about it do you not like?

I personally have the Saffire PRO40, great sounding interface, easy to set up and use. Also, you can find them at pretty decent prices if you shop right.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 AM

If you have 2 grand perhaps consider the new universal audio apollo duo ?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 AM

I can report that the RME Fireface UC works very well.

RME have amongst the best driver support out there, so they are a good candidate. You have plenty of options with them, including PCIe cards with breakout boxes. Their onboard DSP(in the newer units) is very useful and controllable via Mackie protocols.

Both for Windows(which I use mostly) and Mac, their drivers are and have been excellent for the past 12 years for me.

So, there's a recommendation for the RME guys. Worth a comparison.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Someone's gotta mention Metric Halo ULN and Lynx Hilo. The op asked for "best" without setting a price restriction.

My humble Mackie Onyx Blackbird works quite well. I'm still learning PT, so I haven't really gone for it yet and heard what my mixing buddies do with the result, but I suspect it sounds really, really good. In a blindfold test, it may be indistinguishable from its more expensive competitors previously mentioned.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:43 PM

I think for a project studio the RME Babyface would be really nice. I have a Fireface 400 on a second system, and I'm impressed with both how it sounds and how easily it interfaces with Pro Tools. I set up a small studio for another composer, and I got him an Apogee Uno. If I were to do it again I might recommend the Babyface. Of course the Uno was only about $300 while the Babyface is about $750.

On a related note I just recorded my first VO using the built in mic pre's on the HD Omni, and my first impression is that the RME Fireface mic pre's sound better. I would have to really do some A-B testing to see if my impression is correct.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:44 PM

I was thinking of getting the ProFire 2626 as a 2nd interface. What about it do you not like?

Doesn't support Low Latency Monitoring like third party interfaces do, even though it's still in production (not EOL) and is made by the same company that makes Pro Tools.

From pg. 458 of the Pro Tools 10 manual.

HD Native, 003, 003 Rack, 003 Rack+, Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack, Mbox Pro, and Mbox Pro 2 systems can use the Low Latency Monitoring option
to record with an extremely small amount of monitoring latency, to as many tracks as each system supports.

Likewise, certain Core Audio and ASIO audio interfaces that have a built-in mixer (such as the RME Fireface or the MOTU 828) can use the Low
Latency Monitoring option.

But not the Avid M-Audio 2626. That may or may not matter to you depending on how you want to use it but that's why I don't like the 2626 and part of why I don't like Avid interfaces period.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM

Focusrite PRO 40. Integrates flawlessly, and the routing is awesome. I can monitor anything, and any audio heard through my monitors can be routed any where!( I took this for granted when I didn't have it)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 AM

I've been looking into a pcie card such as RME Raydat. It looks great on paper but not many reviews out there. Could this fit your purpose?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 AM

I plan to spend around $500 for my interface and I'm almost sold on the Focusrite Saffire Pro40 because of all the recommendations for PT 10. A friend of mine has a Motu Ultralite Firewire (not the MK3 version). Does anyone have any feedback on that unit and PT 10?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 AM

M-audio lightbridge with the ad/da of your choice