Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2003, 08:06 AM

Default ProControl freaking out!!!

Hi,

Had an interesting few days..........

My ProControl has been "clicking" and scrolling "Egyptian" looking charachters from right to left with the bar graphs freezing. The unit goes off-line and then suddenly reverts back to normal. Been getting worse over the last few days. I have reset the ProControl but this does not seem to help.

I am running OS 9.2 on a G4. Running HD rig with PT 5.3.

Anybody had this happen to them? Any advice would be really appreciated.

I have changed nothing in the last 4 months so am stumped as to what the problem could be.

Thanks so much!

Nik
Old 10-26-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: ProControl freaking out!!!

Just happened to me about two months ago. I recorded a video tape with the problem (because it happened just a few times a week) and send the unit (with the VHS tape) to Digi service in Mexico City. They changed the Flash-Memory-Board and the "power" unit. Now I am having the same problem with one of my fader packs, but I thing, that in this case, it is just the power unit.
My ProControl and the fader pack are about 4 years old... the newer fader pack is ok...

Old 10-27-2003, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your help/comments Camilo. Looks like Digi will need to look at this. Today was a complete waste of time. Had to cancel all sessions. ProControl has gone completely nuts.

I wonder if one could do an on-site swap out of board etc. instead of shipping the board to the US?

Keep well,

Nik
Old 10-28-2003, 08:23 AM

Yes!!!! Our Procontrol is experiencing the EXACT same problem. The problem started about 6 weeks ago and happens at least once a day.

Besides the unit "clicking" and scrolling "Egyptian/Japaneese" looking characters, the main
unit throughs itself into a weird type of uncontrolable Vegas Mode. Even more, the PC begins to hum and vibrate as if all the fader are trying to move
but instead they are all stuck. I hear the motors begin to buzz quite loudly. The only way I can stop the "frecking out" is to cycle power the unit.
Lately, I have been just letting the ProControl go through its "hissy fit" (ususally last about 15-20 sec) and eventually it will stop and go off-line;
But then, it resets itself back to factory default.

The Main PC unit was purchased new back in 11/99 and has stay "on" for most the time. I wonder if it is Power Supply problem?? I wonder if this
"freaking out" the reason why two of the faders have suddenly become "dead".

Like Nik, I too am running a 9.2.2 on a G4 867 running PT 5.3.1 HD (don't know if this is related or not).
Old 10-28-2003, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The Main PC unit was purchased new back in 11/99 and has stay "on" for most the time.
I have one main unit and two faderpacks, the main unit and one fader pack were purchased back in 99, the "freaking out" mode started with the main unit about 4 months ago, now the fader pack is starting with the same problem... the other faderpack (new one) is ok...
Anybody else with the same problem???
Old 10-29-2003, 06:49 AM

Camilo...sorry for the bad grammer...I meant to say "....has stayed on..." not "has stay on..."

Yes, Again, same as Camilo. Our studio is equipped with one main unit and two fader packs. One of the Fader packs is 4 years old and One was purchased 1.5
years ago. The oldest fader pack has just begun to show signs of "freakiness", but the newest fader pack is still operating perfectly.

Camilo, it seems that our PC's/Fader packs were purchased around the same time. Maybe we need to compare Serial Numbers to check if they were
manufactured around the sametime using similar defective parts. My Main Unit is KH0126900C and the oldest fader pack is KJ0219800E.

Fill free to call me if anyone wants verbalize more on this bizzar occurance. Airwave Recording Studio -205-870-3239

Old 10-30-2003, 12:30 AM

I bought my main unit in late Jan. 2000.

My Ser# KH0 144 000C

Waiting two days now for a return email or phone call from Digi. Down time NOT good.

Tel: 27-31-764 5748

Nik
Old 10-30-2003, 09:26 AM

Hello and Good morning,

I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but just in case you do not, there is a way to "blow out" the current firmware of the ProControl Main unit or Fader pack. This resets the firmware to its default version. When I have issues with the ProControl this often fixes the problem. Here is how to reset the firmware...

1) Turn off the ProControl Main and Fader units, one unit at a time...
2) Hold Record Ready on ch. 8+Dynmic In on ch. 7+Insert on ch. 6
3) Power on the unit (main or fader)
4) To verify firmware was reset, Channel/Group LCD will say RESET.

After reseting all the units firmware, go back to the peripherals and turn off ethernet. Click ok. Go back and enable ethernet, let it scan, and then set up the ProControl Main and Fader packs. When you click Done you will see a window asking to download the firmware from the computer back to the ProControl. Just say ok and see if that solves the problem.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:29 PM

Thanks so much for the advice etc.........unfortunatly did not work for me.

What has happened so far...

FINALY received a notification for "advance replacement" of ProControl from Digi.....14 days after having made contact with Digi. They really do need to brush up a bit on customer rellations/communication skills!

1. 4 days to answer/acknowledge receipt of voicemail/ email notifying them of console failure.
2. 5 days to notify me of an option for advance replacement. No contact prior to this.
3. No notification saying advance unit shipped. (shipped 2 days later)
4. Recieved 6 days later. (2 days customs - no fault of Digi.)

Received refurb. console (cost +- 1600 euro for this service).

Advance replacement was................... FUALTY!!!!

So, I have 2 faulty units in the studio and a 3rd is now on the way. The replaced unit had faders that felt like someone had poured sand into them. Rotary knobs not working, buzzing/humming faders, play button not working, various buttons/rotary knobs not working etc.

This has resulted in another week of downtime. This little excercise has cost me 3 weeks of downtime. Unbelievable.

What can one say really?

Nik

Old 11-18-2003, 08:01 AM

Hey, NiK,

Are you receiving a new ProControl from Digi due to this weird Freaking Out? Are we all eligable to recieve new ProControls? This "Freaking Out"
problem is driving me and my paying clients crazy. I have to totally shut down and restart everytime this happens (at least 2x per day).

WILL SOMEONE FROM DIGI PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!!