Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Default Another question on compatibility

Again, switching from PC to MAC. Will probably buy this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218060783906

I'm using Digi002 with 7.4 I believe.

Need recommendations on hard drives. Since the one and only firewire will be used to connect Digi002, not sure how to make this work. I assume there has to be a way to do it, as I assume everyone has pro tools connected while still writing to an external drive.

Can you recommend a specific make and model? I know people speak of LaCie hard drives with the Oxford chips, but I don't see even on the LaCie site where they speak specifically about which of their drives have these particular chips and which ones don't.

Also, I assume the Digi is 400 FW? So the connection shouldn't be a problem. Correct?

Just not sure what to buy. I usually only record drums with my inputs, and then it's track by track on the rest usually. Occasionally I'll use all 8 inputs, but it was never a problem with PC. It was the editing and mixing where the PC kept becoming a problem. Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Another question on compatibility

Grab those firewire macbooks while you can.

If your in the US check out OWC, they have the qualified chipsets and you can install your own drive if you wish.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks, Dougfather.

Question though, with only one firewire port on the Macbooks, how am I supposed to connect Digi002 and an external hard drive to record to with just the one firewire port?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM

You would daisy-chain them together. Digi-approved method would be to go from the computer to external hard drive and then external hard drive to Digi002.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Hmmmm, interesting. Just not sure how you do that. Is there an extra cable I need to buy then? I apologize for being so stupid about this stuff. Sorry.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 PM

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...W800_FW400_USB
If you have FW400 on the computer, the right side column of drives all have dual FW400 connections for daisy-chaining a Pro Tools firewire interface(002, 003, Mbox 2 PRO). If you have FW800 on the computer, you can get a cable with FW800 on one end, and FW400 on the other(9 pin firewire to 6 pin firewire).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
the right side column of drives all have dual FW400 connections for daisy-chaining a Pro To
To add more to what albee is saying, if you are going to daisy chain, make 100% sure that the Ext Hard Drive you purchase is not only compatible with PT but has dual FW400 ports. As albee said you can...

Daisy Chain"
Macbook<--FW400 Cable-->Ext HD<--FW400 Cable-->002
-or-
If Macbook has a FW400 and 800 port:
Mackbook<--FW400 Cable-->002
|<--FW800 Cable-->Ext HD

Hope that helps...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Hello All,

I have a related question. I have the Digidesign 003 Rack + Factory and I'm going to be purchasing a brand new MacBook Pro tonight. In order to "daisy-chain" my setup or hook it up whichever way is best - what would I need as far as an external HD goes? Most of the External (I'm ideally looking for a portable one - but if there isn't a Mac compatible one like my WD passport I use for my home PC - I'll settle for a larger external HD) drives I've found only have one FireWire (most are 800/400 ports) and a USB. Since my Rack 003 is FireWire 400, I know I'll need to somehow get that hooked up to the FireWire 800 port on my MacBook with a hard drive in between.

Can someone point me towards the correct setup and applicable product links that would work? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this type of application.

Thanks!

Kyle

Check out my band at:

www.HookshotBand.com
www.MySpace.com/HookshotBand.

Add us up on MySpace or FaceBook and leave a comment and let us know what you think of the music.
Or add us up on Skype and say hello: Hookshot_Band

Check out my solo music at: www.MySpace.com/Haptic Strain
Old 04-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Avid

Post Re: Another question on compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookshot View Post
I have the Digidesign 003 Rack + Factory and I'm going to be purchasing a brand new MacBook Pro tonight. In order to "daisy-chain" my setup or hook it up whichever way is best - what would I need as far as an external HD goes? Most of the External (I'm ideally looking for a portable one - but if there isn't a Mac compatible one like my WD passport I use for my home PC - I'll settle for a larger external HD) drives I've found only have one FireWire (most are 800/400 ports) and a USB. Since my Rack 003 is FireWire 400, I know I'll need to somehow get that hooked up to the FireWire 800 port on my MacBook with a hard drive in between.
Please check out the info at http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&itemid=36933
Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 PM

I appreciate you providing the link - trust me - no one has read that article more times than me. I know you have "daisy-chain" directions there - but I'm looking for ideas on what products I'll actually need to do that. Above someone provided some insight to the person who started this thread regarding a possible HD that would work and a configuration of cables he would need. That's what I'm looking for - advice on external hard drives that people use with the 003 Rack + Factory and the newest MacBook Pro.

Check out my band at:

www.HookshotBand.com
www.MySpace.com/HookshotBand.

Add us up on MySpace or FaceBook and leave a comment and let us know what you think of the music.
Or add us up on Skype and say hello: Hookshot_Band

Check out my solo music at: www.MySpace.com/Haptic Strain