Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM

Default recording and playing back the guitar

When I setup a track for a guitar containing e.g AmpliTube (or other plugin) and the track is record enabled I can hear my guitar with plugins only in stop and record mode. When I want to hear my guitar in playback mode for example to prepare for a take plugin greys out and I can only hear dry sound of the guitar. Is this how ProTools works or my PC is not powerful enough (AMD 2.1MHz, 1G RAM, MBoxMINI) or maybe there's something wrongly set up in preferences?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Re: recording and playing back the guitar

Plugins are post record. What you are recording onto the track is the dry guitar, and then processing it with the plugins after.

If you want to record the output of amp-sims or any other plugins, you need to route the output of the track with the plugin inserted to a record enabled audio track.

Have I answered you question? I was a little confused about what you were asking. plugins don't/shouldn't "grey out" (become disabled) on their own.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 AM

I meant something different. I'll give an example. When you work with midi you can play your instrument in stop mode, playback mode when you can play along with previously recorded tracks or just a click and in record mode when what you play is being recorded.
What I was about in my post is that when I start playback I can hear my previously recorded midi and guitar parts but I can't play along to practise or to come up with solo etc. It is only possible in record mode or if I turn the mix knob on the MBox panel but it gives a dry sound of a guitar - no plugins.
About this graying out I made mistake.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Ah, I think I understand now.

Pro Tools has two monitoring modes; auto-input and input-only.

In auto input mode, you hear the recorded part of the track up until the point where you are recording.
In input only mode, you only hear the input, and not the previously recorded track.

You can study the details of each in Chapter 14 of the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

If you need/want to hear the input all of the time regardless of record status you should use an aux track for your input, and create a send to your audio track for recording. That way you will be able to monitor the input constantly, and then when ready to record you record enable the audio track and record away.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 PM

Cheers mate!
That's what I needed.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 AM

The method you posted works OK but signal which you send to record enabled track is being recorded with all plugins connected to aux track. I came up with idea to use an audio track with input from the guitar(or anything else) and no output (to mute clean signal of input which interferes with signal monitored by aux track). that way you can record clean signal and add plugins of your choice after when doing a mix.