Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Default SoundToys vs Eventide

Got all SoundToys plugins except for EchoBoy and PurePitch.
Really interested in EchoBoy, but I also have an eye on the Anthology-bundle.

I know there are some things in the Anthology-bundle you don't get in the SoundToys family, like Omnipressor and Reverb.
Regarding delays, filters and pitchshifters; what are your verdicts?

Thanks,
Hakan

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 03-15-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: SoundToys vs Eventide

Both Soundtoys and Eventide plug-ins sound great and are capable of sound design in many, many ways. I use Anthology, UltraFX and EchoBoy. They are all nice. I use EchoBoy for almost any delay/chorus-based effect.

Eventide H3000 Factory, Reverb and Omnipressor are really good. Some users say that Omnipressor sounds like a Distressor, but I can't comment on that. Octavox is an excellent pitch tool for fattening vocals, keyboards and bass.

I now use the reverb from Anthology just as much as ReVibe, another great plug-in. For me it works best on drums, vocals and guitars in particular.

Have you demoed Anthology?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Both Soundtoys and Eventide plug-ins sound great and are capable of sound design in many, many ways. I use Anthology, UltraFX and EchoBoy. They are all nice. I use EchoBoy for almost any delay/chorus-based effect.

Eventide H3000 Factory, Reverb and Omnipressor are really good. Some users say that Omnipressor sounds like a Distressor, but I can't comment on that. Octavox is an excellent pitch tool for fattening vocals, keyboards and bass.

I now use the reverb from Anthology just as much as ReVibe, another great plug-in. For me it works best on drums, vocals and guitars in particular.

Have you demoed Anthology?
I'm playing with it right now.
I already have the Omnipressor (in the Clockworks-bundle), it's great!
Demoed EchoBoy too, but it didn't work for me in Logic, which I use 99% of the time.
Just trying it 5 minutes in PT, it seems to be a killer.

It seems like the rest of the Anthology-bundle overlaps what I already have.
I seldom touch Soundblender, even though it's a very good plugin.
Would I use H3000 factory any more? (Thinking loud...)
For the occasional delicate stereo-pitch, I guess I could use Digi's Pitch or Soundblender instead of OctaVox.
Maybe for the more esoteric FX, I could find use for 8 voices...
Band-Delays are also cool, but do you use it now that you have EchoBoy?

Look forward to trying the plugins in AnthologyII; the filters and the phase-tool.
The Omnipressor is very alnalog-sounding to me, so I hope those PIs are too!
(Regarding "overlapping", I love FilterFreak, by the way)

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 03-16-2006, 03:14 PM

Both really good in my opinion.

I use Echoboy which is superb, Filter Freak and PhaseMistress and Pure Pitch a helluva lot from Soundtoys

Omnipressor, Band delays, Factory, Octavox and Reverb from Eventide but they also have the Harmonizers etc

So it'd be pretty hard to choose.

With Pure Pitch from ST you can mess with the formants and pitch.....go robot to woman in one easy slide and Echoboy is a lot of fun and very versatile.

But if you need a bit of everything then AnthologyII
Old 03-18-2006, 07:54 PM

Echoboy is a must have, IMO. I use it all the time. It's an instant classic.

I don't think you could go wrong with either company. I've had Eventide products for decades, and the service is always top notch. Both companies are CLASS acts that really bend over backwards for their customers. If every company was as good as those two, it would be a wonderful world indeed.

Did I mention how much I like EchoBoy?

Lee Blaske