Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Re: You get FIVE features to add to PT only.. what are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i love PT, and have been mixing 5.1 in PT since pro tools started 5.1 (version5)
Best joke ever... PT surround released on version 5.1
Old 01-24-2020, 10:21 AM

1. Fix decade-long bug whereby track show/hide memory locations are corrupted when session is saved with playlist view active.

2. Allow MIDI clips to be dragged from Pro Tools timeline to virtual instruments such as Superior Drummer 3. (It is currently possible to drag MIDI regions from a virtual instrument to the Pro Tools timeline, but the opposite is not currently possible.)

3. Ability to bounce or export a single selected MIDI clip just like with audio. Currently the Export MIDI command exports all MIDI in the session; one track's MIDI can be exported by muting all other tracks (cumbersome!), but there is no way to select just a a single MIDI clip and export it out of Pro Tools.

4. MIDI playlists view - ability to see MIDI playlists in separate lanes just like with audio playlists.

5. Eucontrol "DAW Banks App" - selecting a track onscreen in Pro Tools with the mouse updates the bank displayed in the Pro Tools|Control app Mixer. In the Universe Scroller in the Pro Tools|Control app, the turquoise rectangle indicating the attentioned fader will update, but the yellow rectangle indicating the displayed bank will not. (Going the opposite way works: any bank selected in the Pro Tools|Control app will update in the DAW with the correct settings made.) There is a setting for "App Banks DAW". What is also needed is "DAW Banks App" as well. Basically, the most recently banked device - App or DAW - banking the other one.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM

MIDI was implemented in 5.0 and only improvement I have noticed so far is the Instrument Track. Hoping for a massive MIDI release someday but not holding my breath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
3. Ability to bounce or export a single selected MIDI clip just like with audio. Currently the Export MIDI command exports all MIDI in the session; one track's MIDI can be exported by muting all other tracks (cumbersome!), but there is no way to select just a a single MIDI clip and export it out of Pro Tools.

Your suggestions are all good but this, this is the one I forgot to put in my top 5.
Instead we got the App manager and cloud collaboration.
Yay.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:09 AM

- Midi tracks playlists
- Solo groups (Soundscape had it and it is practical beyond imagination, but hard to explain) Imagine you have several subgroups and want to solo the drum group. And then you want to solo the snare drum. (so you have to mute every drum track one, by one BUT the snare. ☹
- Simultaneously render all selected tracks with reverb and delay sends as if they were soloed in the mix.
- Delay compensation for buses.
- Raise the native 32 i/o limit
Old 01-24-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabha View Post
Raise the native 32 i/o limit
You get native 64 i/o with HDN. What you want to say is raise the 3rd party i/o limit.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Mine's been stable, but to claim it's as efficient as others is just wrong. Reaper, even on mac, is far more efficient. My fans don't kick in nearly as much. Makes sense, too. Reaper is 65MB. PT is over a GB and that's not even including sound libraries. 15x the code to do the same thing doesn't spell efficiency. Now if you're talking workflow efficiency, that's a spirited debate. I personally lean towards PT in that regard, though I'm not a power user of either.
The amount of DSP testing I have done says to the contrary..

Reaper is also using a lot more REAL cpu running the same amount of VI's and effects plugins than PT.. this is a known fact as Reaper uses CPU differently.. for example reaper might be using 95% of the cpu to do the same thing that pro tools is using 75% for.. so i have no idea why you have fan problems in PT.. I don't in either mac in my sig, even the old macbook.

Reaper is third behind logic and PT on mac in every single test I have pitted it in, and also lost on bootcamp on the imac pro in the simple VI test I ran.. PT was able to play 16 of a particularly heavy VI, and record arm 10 of them at the 128 buffer. Reaper was also able to play 16, but record arming even ONE of them at 128 buffer made it sound like Freddy Krueger running his nails across a blackboard.

The only place where Reaper has an advantage of PT on mac is if arming a bunch of external inputs at 32 buffer with effects. For amount of playback tracks it loses, but don't get me wrong, it's in the top 3. The top 3 are Logic, pt and reaper.

To claim PT is inefficient IS actually what's downright wrong and frankly ridiculous. I can get PT to use 700% of 800% on my quad core, and 1400% out of 1600% on my imac pro. Without a single pop or crackle.
other daws like live are falling apart and crackling at around 700%.

reaper just keeps going on an on and a lot of people give unfair performance results cause reaper doesn't overload and stop like PT and they are not noticing intermittent pops and clicks. All my test results are when one minute of audio can play stably in a DAW that doesn't stop playback on overload, without a single pop or click. This is how Cubase/S1/Reaper are tested. S1 is in the top 3 lowest performing DAWs on OSX (the worst three are tracktion, mixbus, S1).

With PT and Logic they overload and stop playback before the audio is ever compromised.
Sure, In Cubase and reaper, one can keep going till their CPU is at 800000% but the audio is compromised long before that.

Anyway, I too had some issues with a couple builds of PT but 2019.12 is amazing.. I can consistently have it to 100% on the PT meter.
In windows I was able to arm at 32 buffer and almost completely max the real cpu out. Mac OS can't do that cause of the fluctuating clock speeds but it looks like apple are finally fixing that in catalina 10.15.3 with a new high performance mode option (apparently only for their pro line of computers though).

Anyway, to put it in a nutshell, i am not talking about bloat or size when i talk about efficiency, I am talking about the raw number of plugins PT can run on the very same computer vs other DAWs. I have tested this TO DEATH and PT is in the very upper echelon on both OSX and Windows.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:46 PM

See, there ya go with those darn facts!!!! Grrrr.....why dont you just use hyperbole and inneundo when you argue?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
See, there ya go with those darn facts!!!! Grrrr.....why dont you just use hyperbole and inneundo when you argue?
Do they have those in AAX ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-24-2020, 05:59 PM

In no particular order:

1. Reliable sidechain delay compensation
2. Midi fx inserts. (See Ableton Live)
3. Ability to load a session without manually rerouting midi to instruments
4. Automation curves and linear moves including on stepped parameters
5.ARA2 support or equivalent. Isn't ARA a subset of the VST3 standard? Seems pretty unlikely we'll ever get something by that name but the cat's out of the bag. I want to comp into melodyne.