Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:39 AM

Default Windows Service Pack 2 NIGHTMARE

Having just updated my windows xp operating system by installing the new service pack 2, I can't help but think i've made a big mistake!
I first noticed a big problem when using my 002rack and protools le for the first time since the update. The program would load up as usual with no probs, but when wanting to close the session and exit the program, my pc would simply shutdown and restart! Bizzare! I've optimised my system in the past to cater for pro tools with no glitches, no network cards or virus scan operating in tandem with a session, which worked flawlessly in the past. However i've now discovered that the problem persists not only within the pro tools program, but also using any application that requires audio output. For example, playing back audio or a movie in windows media player also causes the pc to restart when the file is finished or when media player is closed down. I know digidesign are still running tests on sp2, i just wish i had seen the notice before updating. If anyone has any comments or are experiencing similar problems, please let me know.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Windows Service Pack 2 NIGHTMARE

thats why they say don't download it. Unload it, and it should be ok again, or you may to re install. But wait for someone who knows whatn they are talkign about to answer you, or do a search, there are lots of topics on here

Laptop P3.4 800 FSB
1 GB 400 DDR RAM
2 x 60GB 7200 HD
DIGI 002 R
Old 09-03-2004, 05:48 AM

Right... anyone with any USEFUL advice?
Old 09-03-2004, 06:39 AM

Jesus! Maybe DIGI should make the thing POPUP when you first hit our forum section...

Seriously man, he answered your question... Here.... Let me try to help...

SP2 NOTICE FROM DIGIDESIGN!!!!!

Enough said, uninstall it, run a search in the registry for anything related to the SP2 update codes found in your control panel ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE TAB. and reboot machine.

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WINDOWS MACHINE. If it is a pro tools machine, get it running with what they spec out and go from there. If it is not broken, don't fix it!

JUST BECAUSE MICROSOFT has an UPDATE does not mean that you NEED IT!

do a search in google and you will see that SP2 is affecting a lot more than just DIGI stuff too. It is pretty widespread. SP2 is not stable and do not update your box. Turn auto update off, get it back running with SP1 and while your at it, run a CHECK DISK to put the drive back together.

ENOUGH USEFUL INFO? I know that you are new, but look at the search, look at the headings, and you will be amazed at what you will find on here man. Not trying to be a jerk, but this topic has been brought up numerous times since the release.

Good luck! and welcome to the DUC
- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 09-03-2004, 06:50 AM

thanking you, i won't be helping him again

Laptop P3.4 800 FSB
1 GB 400 DDR RAM
2 x 60GB 7200 HD
DIGI 002 R
Old 09-03-2004, 07:03 AM

jimbob,
It does not have to resort to that! The thing that is very frustrating is that this topic was answered yesterday, and the day before and the day before that! It has been over time and time again. He is a new guy to the DUC and we cannot chastize him for that. He answered a bit quick to you yes...., and I understand the frustration. I came out a bit strong too, but if anyone on here takes the second to type is SP2 in the search for the 002 it will come up with hundreds of issues. The digi admin even has it tacked at the top. The first thing one SHOULD do is read the tacked stuff and see "Hey, look, a SP2 topic" before they post yet another SP2 topic. Then search, and "oh look I have 100 results for yesterday" on the topic alone....

Stuff like that that really gets people frustrated. Heck scroll down a few posts and you will hit a few.

Not need to push the guy out completely though. NOT LIKE HE IS A "STREETS" or anything! Could be worse man!

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 09-03-2004, 07:06 AM

thats true, sorry for being a bit harsh. I also can be charged with posting before searching sometimes. so furry muff.

Laptop P3.4 800 FSB
1 GB 400 DDR RAM
2 x 60GB 7200 HD
DIGI 002 R
Old 09-03-2004, 07:21 AM

I'm terribly sorry I don't have a connection setup from the forum to my nervous system. U guys need to relax a bit. It's my problem, yet u boys are throwing a wobbly! Here's my advice to u, get out more!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:02 AM

And if you are gonna be that frank about it.... in return, here is my advice to you... GET A PAIR, and learn how to search this forum. Don't waste our time about issues that you have if you are so talented to figure them out on your own. Maybe you are a "Streets" after all.

Looking at your comments, I am assuming that you can figure it out on your own now.

And here I tried to protect you and help you out before you got entirely flamed...

As for getting out! Ya, man, welcome to studio life.... as "wobbly" as it is....

Whatever, fix it yourself...

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 09-03-2004, 09:27 AM

I second that

Laptop P3.4 800 FSB
1 GB 400 DDR RAM
2 x 60GB 7200 HD
DIGI 002 R