Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

For those of you thinking a certain DAW sounds different than another this question was addressed a few years ago by the 3db forum. They did a lot of testing and elimination of variables (like converters) and basically found that the dozen DAW's they tested sounded the same - the output files basically nulled. People would swear they heard differences but the files nulled to -130db.

None of the DAW's they tested were emulations of mixing boards (like Record being an SSL).

The differences initially heard turned out to be the AD/DA converters, differing outboard gear etc. But In The Box, the DAW's all did the math pretty much the same way resulting in the same output.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I dunno... If they're like the company I just left, they are all probably doing two to three jobs each right now... Good people get used up quick like that. Details get overlooked, things get misplaced, and chaos seems to be the rule of the day.
Not in my industry. Top of the food chain make one or two decisions a day and get paid an extra-ordinary amount of money for it. Mind you, those decisions better be right! The rest of their day is spent smiling, checking out real estate, new car options, holiday destinations and flirting with the girls

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
Not in my industry. Top of the food chain make one or two decisions a day and get paid an extra-ordinary amount of money for it. Mind you, those decisions better be right! The rest of their day is spent smiling, checking out real estate, new car options, holiday destinations and flirting with the girls
That's because in the US we have the super rich, where CEO's can make thousands of percent what the middle managers even make, even if the company fails and everyone loses their jobs. Another example is one of the directors of my former employer (a month before showing up to congress to ask for bailout money in a private jet) took a private jet down to my town to have a meeting and fly back that night to her car in a warm hanger while the snow fell. She mentioned while she was here that the biscuits and danishes on the plane were very tasty. And she lived happily ever after as her golden parachute kept her very comfortable while thousands were laid off. True story.

this company spent many years ignoring people, what they wanted, and defended their products because of brand loyalty and even called on customers to buy them to be a good american. Avid won't receive the sameckinds of bailouts if their bottom line doesn't improve.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 11-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Wow... has this thread derailed in like 20 different directions at the same time... I'm just kinda glad that DTS is down here actively participating, and taking the incoming fire with grace. I sure hope that this thread gets taken seriously by the PM's in Digi... as most have voiced, our biggest concern is artificial crippling of the software, and limited hardware. As many have stated, I do want to see PT succeed, but next year is make-it-or-break-it for me (funny... I read several people are in the same train... what is with next year and upgrading gear??). I did love PT8's features. I'm hoping Digi will continue to refine it (MIDI needs more love), and steer it towards a native application. As I said, I wouldn't mind paying ~$500 for a TRULY native PT (existing LE/MP users should be given an upgrade path towards Native) if it addressed all of the already voiced concerns. We'll see... Christmas is coming!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 AM

Well after reading everything and going back and forth about what decision to make...I bought a used pci[x] hd core card and a mac g5.
I realized that to survive in NYC [or any other large metro area] you need to have the most popular operating system. Putting aside the idea that it may not be the best sounding or the best implemented, PT is the only game I really need to be in.
If I was in a small town and had Cubase or Logic or Nuendo I could probably get by as I would probably be doing projects from start to finish. Here in NYC
I'm getting mixing or overdubs or seeing clients at the start and then the finish..but not usually the whole thing.
I have some clients that are going 100% of the way..but we have gone to other studios for drums or a nice real Hammond organ.

My setup is a little different than those of you who are totally in the box.
I have racks of vintage and boutique or custom made compressors/eqs/and fx and a custom vintage discrete console. So all I really need PT for is the
recording/editing and outputs 16 outs is plenty for my purposes.

So that's it..but it really helped to read all of this thread so I could make an informed decision..I agree with many of the posts especially about digi hanging on to their outmoded hardware and way of doing business.

thanks to all of you.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 AM

I just upgraded my PTLE 7.4 system with the 003, to HD 8 with the 96i/o. I am very happy!

It was so easy to install and all of my RTAS plug presets were there as well as everything else. My dealer was very good as always and the price made it that much easier to go through with this.

A great option right now for the working PT user.
http://www.salmonsound.com
Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM

And they say money can't buy happiness. Good luck to ya'.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsound View Post
I just upgraded my PTLE 7.4 system with the 003, to HD 8 with the 96i/o. I am very happy!

It was so easy to install and all of my RTAS plug presets were there as well as everything else. My dealer was very good as always and the price made it that much easier to go through with this.

A great option right now for the working PT user.
Good for you, hope your not disappointed in the future.

This offer expires December 18, 2009. Then the waiting game really begins for those of us who won't be upgrading....just waiting..
Old 11-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
And they say money can't buy happiness. Good luck to ya'.
But I know places where you can rent it......
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com