Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Good sample library playback instrument....but

unusable as a sampler. I've read the 'known issues' PDF and hunkered down with the prelim Structure guide, tried everything in both those documents plus some left-field stuff from 20 years of experience with samplers and at this stage in development, this thing is unusable as a sampler for use in a production environment.

The facility to create one's own patches/parts needs a lot of work. Keymapping is wonky, drag and drop sample import of multiple samples is way wonky, sample edit page 'play from cursor' sticks, sample start, end and length fields in the edit page don't report values until clicked, in fact there are a TON of informational fields that display bad information until clicked or touched. There are fields where the highlight color is black...with black text, meaning a pitch black data field....

am I the only one running across these issues?

I'll try to document specifics for all of the above problems as well as the ones I haven't listed and hopefully a few more i'm sure i'll run into along the way. I would urge everyone else to do the same and be as specific as possible in your descriptions of the problems. Maybe digi can cross reference their to-do list with ours and we'll have a nicely focused product!

long live the S-950!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Good sample library playback instrument....but

I had long been looking for the "perfect" software sampler since EXS, Kontakt, SampleTank, Halion and YellowTools all have their major flaws. When I finally read that digidesign was gonna do a Sampler - I thought; man this is gonna be the bomb, considering how much I like sample cell as a sample player.

I own : AKAI S1000,S2000,CD3000XL, EMU's, MPC2000,3000,4000 - and I have been using samplers since I started making music and samplers play a huge part in our environment...

I got structure the other day and installed it with eager - it only took me about 4 hours to render a disappointed face in the mirror. Structure in GENERAL gets my rating as the worst of all the software samplers out there... And this I say with NO smile on my face - I REALLY hoped.

What plays a HUGE part in me choosing a software sampler is how great the supplied libs are and how good it imports the foreign libs.

I always double check with my AKAI hardware. There is not ONE Softsampler outhere importing foreign libs so they sound as great as they do in original AKAI:... EXS24 from Logic is the one doing the best conversions on the market. I dont even open CDXtract as I have not yet been able to use ONE single converted program - and I have tried many Gigabytes.
The supplied LIbs for the beta of structure to me sounded cheap and I would NOT consider using it in ANY production. As structure converted my Kontakt samples they sounded NOT as intended with strange ADSR curves. Even the samplecell import did not Sound as it does in samplecell...

The fact of the matter is that most libraries are made for Kontakt2, or libs utilizing the kontakt2 technology. Original Kontakt2 libs written for kontakt sound great. GarryGarritan, QuantumLeap, East West etc.... Kontakt offers a MUCH MORE STRUCTURED way of dealing with samples and instruments than structure it self.

I find it great that the AIR group has managed to structure an application that can play a sound but to call it a sampler is pushing it. Maybe sample player.

I had expected something intuitive but I guess I just have to fall back on my hardware and Kontakt2 and EXS 24...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Good sample library playback instrument....but

Quote:
I had long been looking for the "perfect" software sampler since EXS, Kontakt, SampleTank, Halion and YellowTools all have their major flaws. When I finally read that digidesign was gonna do a Sampler - I thought; man this is gonna be the bomb, considering how much I like sample cell as a sample player.

I own : AKAI S1000,S2000,CD3000XL, EMU's, MPC2000,3000,4000 - and I have been using samplers since I started making music and samplers play a huge part in our environment...

I got structure the other day and installed it with eager - it only took me about 4 hours to render a disappointed face in the mirror. Structure in GENERAL gets my rating as the worst of all the software samplers out there... And this I say with NO smile on my face - I REALLY hoped.

What plays a HUGE part in me choosing a software sampler is how great the supplied libs are and how good it imports the foreign libs.

I always double check with my AKAI hardware. There is not ONE Softsampler outhere importing foreign libs so they sound as great as they do in original AKAI:... EXS24 from Logic is the one doing the best conversions on the market. I dont even open CDXtract as I have not yet been able to use ONE single converted program - and I have tried many Gigabytes.
The supplied LIbs for the beta of structure to me sounded cheap and I would NOT consider using it in ANY production. As structure converted my Kontakt samples they sounded NOT as intended with strange ADSR curves. Even the samplecell import did not Sound as it does in samplecell...

The fact of the matter is that most libraries are made for Kontakt2, or libs utilizing the kontakt2 technology. Original Kontakt2 libs written for kontakt sound great. GarryGarritan, QuantumLeap, East West etc.... Kontakt offers a MUCH MORE STRUCTURED way of dealing with samples and instruments than structure it self.

I find it great that the AIR group has managed to structure an application that can play a sound but to call it a sampler is pushing it. Maybe sample player.

I had expected something intuitive but I guess I just have to fall back on my hardware and Kontakt2 and EXS 24...

ummm...OK dude, this was meant to be a constructive thread, not a structure bashing thread.

you've made your point in about 4 or 5 of the threads for this forum already....we get the point.

keep in mind that this is a public beta? there are no real libraries for it yet? from what you say, it seems you use a lot of libraries and that's great. but it has nothing to do with the act of sampling for production, ie, taking a sound, editing it, creating a program for it and playing it back.

if it took you 4 hours to get disappointed, you shouldn't be using beta software. In fact with beta software, you shouldn't have any expectations and you SHOULD be prepared to put some time into trying to get it to work and you SHOULD be able to provide some constructive data and feedback regaring what you tried so the dev team can fix it/make it better.

So, rant in your own thread....don't hijack mine.