Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Default PT 11 Sample Rate Issue

I'm having a frustrating situation with PT11. I'm mainly a mix engineer and am frequently bouncing from one project to the next and they rarely have the same sample rate.

When I change the master clock and then go to play the newly opened session I get the flashing stop icon and then no playback. If you look at the system usage window you can see the info for memory and disk cache usage but there's no activity for the CPU usage. Sometimes I can go to the playback engine window and make a minor change like the cache size and then I'll see CPU action and all is well.

More often than not, however I'll make a change in the playback engine and then get the beautiful rolling beach ball and then I have to force quit.

Sometimes the only way to get going is to trash preferences.

Does anyone have any wisdom for me?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM

Default Re: PT 11 Sample Rate Issue

I gave up on 11 for now and rolled back to 10 on my test systems... Thats my advice
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM

10 is of course an option, but that really is of no benefit to the discussion at hand.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM

I tell you what, the changing sample rates issues is getting really ****** annoying.

Is there a fix?

Avid...anyone?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I tell you what, the changing sample rates issues is getting really ****** annoying.

Is there a fix?

Avid...anyone?
Here you go, try these:

Repair permissions.
Repair disc.

And start at the most laborious workflow and check. (After you change sample rates, save session, quit Pro Tools, and restart computer, open saved session, or start new one, etc). I know, a real PIA. But if it works, repeat process eliminating "restart computer". If that works, then eliminate "quit Pro Tools".

I'm almost willing to bet that you have to "save, quit, re-open" at the very least. Or even restart.

Also, don't forget the interface.

Good luck. Repairing permissions has cleared up many things for me.

Tim
Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
Here you go, try these:

Repair permissions.
Repair disc.

And start at the most laborious workflow and check. (After you change sample rates, save session, quit Pro Tools, and restart computer, open saved session, or start new one, etc). I know, a real PIA. But if it works, repeat process eliminating "restart computer". If that works, then eliminate "quit Pro Tools".

I'm almost willing to bet that you have to "save, quit, re-open" at the very least. Or even restart.

Also, don't forget the interface.

Good luck. Repairing permissions has cleared up many things for me.

Tim
JCBigler, I just saw in your sig, that you run Windows. So run your disc repair program, and whatever routine disc maintenance suggested after major software installs or updates. On Macs, it's called "permissions repair". Sorry I didn't see your sig on my iPod. But the rest still applies. Switch sample rates, save-quit session-quit Pro Tools-restart, etc.

And again, check the Scarlett. Make sure its rate matches the session's new rate.

But to the OP, I see you're on a Mac.

Tim
Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post

Is there a fix?

Avid...anyone?
What are you using the Dante Virtual Soundcard for?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
What are you using the Dante Virtual Soundcard for?
To do multi track recording from our Yamaha CL5 console during as how. Oddly enough I haven't had any issues with the DVS, mainly because it always runs at 48k.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM

I just had this same problem. I recorded two keyboard tracks @ 96k which worked fine then switched the playback device to the Eleven rack which changed my sample rate to 44.1 which I realized when I hit the record button the keyboard tracks were half time. I stopped the playback and closed the session realizing this was due to the usb of the Eleven rack plugged in. I unplugged that restarted the session (which I shouldn't have saved) and went back in only to find that my sample rate was no 44.1 and locked. I found a reference to copy the session and change the rate to 96k which worked but when I played it back the tracks were still playing half time but my sample rate was 96k. I can't figure out where things went wrong and why my tracks won't play back now needless to say I had to give free time due to system issues here. Not happy with Protools HD 11 so far.

EDIT: On a plus side automated backups are AWESOME! Which allowed me to go to a previous ptx file and recover things.