Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-1999, 06:03 AM

Default What third party software runs on 001?

What software (sequencers, etc) is compatible with 001?

Will third party apps be able to use all available inputs and outputs on the 001?

What sort of "generic" drivers does the 001 use? DAE, asio, etc?

Mike
Old 10-07-1999, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Default Re: What third party software runs on 001?

Digi001 will only work with the new version of Direct I/O that will ship with Pro Tools 5.0. What this means is that third parties will need to rev their apps for them to work with Digi001. I don't believe there are any limitations with Direct I/O as far as accessing all of the I/O, so it would be left to how third party apps choose to do so.
I have not seen any announcements yet from any of the third party companies regarding their apps, but I'm sure there will be. We'll let you know here when those are announced by their companies.

In addition to Direct I/O, 001 uses DAE.

Bruce Paine
Old 10-07-1999, 10:59 PM

without asio drivers, this hardware is useless to me. i need whatever soundcard i use to play with my currently used programs. i have to have peak and cubase and others work with it. i will check here in the coming month before i change soundcards optimistic that someone will address this issue. digi 001 is a system for people who have other software already...it's not a standalone of the same proportions as it's tdm based bigger brother. digi..we need you to go to bat on this, or my sale won't be the only one lost!!!
Old 10-10-1999, 09:08 PM

Hey Digi,

Does software like Peak and Digital Performer, which currently support DAE work with the 001 system or is it a new version of DAE which the third parties need to support as well?

PP
Old 10-11-1999, 10:12 AM

asio asio asio asio asio asio

the other digi hardware has asio drivers that allow their use with cubase and peak and more. that is the main question for me. since the other hardware has the drivers, i didn't expect the digi 001 to be without them. i beleive digi had made the previous asio drivers. we need these drivers for use with other software. that is why i am asking if it's gonna happen. digi please !!!!
Old 10-12-1999, 09:40 PM
Administrator

A little clarification regarding 001 and third party software. I was a little confused myself.

Digi 001 works through Direct I/O.

Any app that currently supports Digi hardware through Direct I/O (Peak, Vision DSP, Cubase VST, host-based synths, etc) will have basic compatibility with Digi 001 at release. The simplicity of the Direct I/O spec allows third-party apps to support new Digi hardware without major revisions or completely new drivers for each piece of hardware.

Direct I/O compatibility is contained in the DigiSystem INIT that ships with 001. Some third-party apps may need to rev slightly to support all the new features of the 001 (i.e. software controlled gain, high-pass filter enabled/disable, optical format switch, etc.) due to each companies implementation of Direct I/O.

001 will also ship with output sound drivers for non-Direct I/O apps just like our TDM based systems.

Apps that only use DAE to communicate with Digi hardware will have to rev. Digi 001's I/O is only supported through Direct I/O. Even though Pro Tools 5.0 LE is using DAE, all I/O functionality is done through Direct I/O (including the AM III I/O). TDM systems will still require DAE since DAE handles all audio interface I/O routing to/from TDM.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Mgr. eMarketing