Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 AM

Thumbs down Re: Huge adc bug!??

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Huge adc bug!??

oh this one's been on the grill for such a long time!~

AVID had given up their Memorial Day weekend and is currently working on this.

And we thank them for it.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
oh this one's been on the grill for such a long time!~

AVID had given up their Memorial Day weekend and is currently working on this.

And we thank them for it.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Kermit is back!!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 AM

Well this company isn´t really the fastest guys around to say the least.....
Can we hope for this year?
Nah... Maybe not.
This frekn incredibly anoying amatuer bug from hell has been around now since PT8 came out.
When was that?
Can hardly remember....
End of 2008...?
So a year and a half(!!) later, the midi still doesn´t end up where you play it!
Is this how the "leading" company in DAW handles things, it won´t be long before the company dies!
With no sales and the stock going down!

On another thread some people have been waiting 2 months(!!!) to get their PT HD with a 192!
2 months!!!
If Avid can´t even sell when they have the chance, where are they heading....?

Come on!

Peer
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 AM

Buuump!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhis1 View Post
Buuump!!!
double friggin bump
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 AM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=276021

BUMP!

Does my issue even fit into this thread? Why can't MIDI just work?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostHuman View Post
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=276021

BUMP!

Does my issue even fit into this thread? Why can't MIDI just work?

They are "workin' on it"....

giv'em a couple mo years.

I know it feels like standing in line at the post office sometimes.

Hopefully when we get to the counter they'll still have stamps.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
They are "workin' on it"....

giv'em a couple mo years.

I know it feels like standing in line at the post office sometimes.

Hopefully when we get to the counter they'll still have stamps.
Yeah, but the price will have gone up by then.

QAPLA!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Well im just floating around the forum and came across this thread. Now before I go any further I clearly remember using my MIX++ and first HD system ten years ago and we didnt have any ADC then but that is now why I left PTs. Ive been away from the mothership for many years working on a multitude of DAWS, pretty much all of them but the main ones I used were/are Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live, and Reason. Ive made full tracks and releases in each of those DAWS. Reason isnt considered a DAW I know but if you make electronic music as I do you can make finished records with it.

My first experience with ADC was with Cubase SX2 or SX3. I cant quite remember. But what I instantly felt was something had changed in the way mid data felt as I recorded it alongside audio (THE GROOVE). I never gave it much thought at the time and put it down to just me

I had been using Ableton Live as well since ver2. They added midi in ver 4. Then in ver 5 they added ADC. WOW, I noticed a huge change in how my music felt and it wasnt for the better.

Then I come to Logic. I had been using it since ver 4 originally as front end for my first PTs rig. Anyway, as the years went on I continued using it on and off along with my other DAWS and then they added ADC. Damn! The same thing again. Stuff just didnt seem to gel as well. By the time Apple had added its loop browser it seemed to get worse. I mean from a playing something live (a VI) perspective as well as that side panel where you change the Q values just didnt feel the same to me as they did before ADC. Now with Ver 9 I find the software almost unusable. Since they added in elastic audio with full ADC through out. I have no idea why, but it feels and sound like its in vacuum, totally strangled

Now Reason. For some reason its feel never changed until they added their quite extensive groove quantising features. It should be great, but it isnt. I dont know if they even have ADC in the software seeing as it doesnt use any 3rd party instruments or FX. Its still great though. Theres never any delay that I have noticed but something changed with version 4.

Oh, and theres Fruity Loops or FL studio as its now known. Yeah go on laugh all you want. But that software has the most fluid and fast audio engine of any native Daw out there. It makes Logics audio engine feel like a clapped out Tug boat. However cant really say much about its midi except its damn tight and has a good feel. I just havent used it extensively enough.

So whats the point in me saying this?

I think ADC has caused issues for players and perhaps more issues than many realise
. Those that like to inject feel by playing an instrument have been affected ( for me, specifically VI's). I believe this to be the case with all the DAWS. I believe its also caused issues in the feel of the music we make even if you apply all sorts of grooves none of them seem to work as well now like they did in the past. I hear a lot of music that just doesnt groove as it should. There's a generation of electronic music writers out there now who paint in their notes all day only using their keyboard as controller. They have been very vocal in demanding stuff like ADC, warp audio etc. I know this from having to deal with 16 year old screemee kids on the Ableton forum who demand everything, and they generally get it as well. But as soon as they get X feature you never read them hailing its greatness. But this does seem to be pretty common with all DAW user bases these days. We want, they have, we must have.

Although just pure speculation I think in away we become held at the mercy of ADC and to be honest which if you really think about it has the potential to really mess with your groove (think about it for a minute, what it does, how it does it) I sometimes wish it had never arrived to be honest. Better that plugins just had zero latency. Luckily many of them are these days. I can quite often turn off ADC completely in any DAW and the difference in the overall groove whilst subtle is definitely noticeable and thats using zero or minuscule latency inducing plugs on the individual tracks (for the most part). At Times I will simply leave it off if it suits my mood at the time.
Some of you have got your selves in quite a state over this that its actually become an obsession (to be perfectly honest). But ive been there to so its not like Im trying to be the wise white robbed guru of peace and joy to all :) But perhaps were all forgetting to use our ears? and simply nudge stuff back and forth which is so easy to do in PTs. You dont want to be a robot do you? You never know you may be surprised that if you stopped using ADC completely and moved stuff around that your music may EVEN have a better feel. Your eyes are constantly bombarded with eye candy so add that to the midi ADC whihc has created a bot of a frenzy in your mind it take your ears totally of the proverbial ball so to speak. Your looking instead of listening

The reality of the situation is your not going to add three massive latency inducing mastering plugins on to one audio track whilst tracking.writing. Even with a zero bug ADC system your going to start experiencing pretty rapidly latency whether your using native or HD if you use those high latency inducing plugins. Im not saying many of us dont write in the style of making it sound like a record as we write, many of us do and we manage in a way that we need to be able to play live parts much further down the line from our keyboard (except the painting the notes in crowd) But even then its only at the end you would start using heavy duty plugins like OZone 4 with its 3000ms delay.

I personally go for zero latency inducing plugins as much as I can. I wont use a phase accurate EQ biggy as I write, and in fact I wont buy anything like that these days if I can avoid it.

Im not saying ADC is a waste of time and theres no need for it because obviously there is in many situations. Im Just saying relax, its really not the end of the world that theres a small bug in the system. Try a session without ADC, you may be surprised. The one massive advantage you PTs users have is that its SO EASY to move your audio around and get it to sit right. I cannot do this nearly so well in any other DAW and THAT is why im coming back to PTs. Its audio editing is a joy to use and even after all these years I still miss it.

And do spare a thought for the programmers. This wouldnt an easy fix for a native system let alone one that uses DSP cards. As our software gets ever more sophisticated the programmers have to consider a lot more stuff than they did five or ten years ago. In the case of something like an HD system there is a a lot they have to take in to account because its a very different beast from al all native system. Its rather more like two systems in one.

Be careful what you wish for. ADC isn't the be all and end all.