Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Quitting Pro Tools Quicktime Server remove all my PT errors... 9171 and 9173

Remember to quit the PT QT Server before bring up a session.... Right after booting up Protools. If I waited until it crashed during a session... killing it then didn't give me the full benefit...
Old 03-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Quitting Pro Tools Quicktime Server remove all my PT errors... 9171 and 9173

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty8th1 View Post
Remember..... the best time to Quit the Pro Tools Quicktime Server is Right away..... before bringing up a session.... If you wait until your the Quicktime Server turns Red..... you don't really get the CPU benefit space...

Looks like we all have different results.... I have never imported an mp3.. but that good to know... I'll try it and see. Actually, I use to run Karaoke songs in protools..... the video would play along in sync with the audio.... I could record a singer who was watching one of the screens. This is all just built into protools... with no extra hardware for software of any kind... I suppose that won't work now.... there are probably other video types quicktime related things that won''t work either.

But for me..... finally Unclicking on " Ignore Errors " is a big plus. I want to know if errors come up.... and I really have gained 30 percent on the CPU reading in the Protools System Usage....

Remember..... the best time to Quit the Pro Tools Quicktime Server is Right away..... before bringing up a session.... If you wait until your the Quicktime Server turns Red..... you don't really get the CPU benefit space...
For me after I boot protools before opening session the QuickTime server is already red.
I was wondering why it was red actually.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Can't help you there ... if PT QT Server is already red when you simply boot up protools.... Sorry.

You could try to kill it just the moment that PT creates it during the boot up.
Maybe you will catch it before it crashes... I think there is a benefit if it is done before it crashes to Red...

I know that AvidAppManager and AVIDApplicationsManager ... take of ton of Energy when just booting up the OS .... No Protools ... just the OS ... and it takes a while for them to settle down on my system... maybe 3 minutes before they settle down the 0.0 area.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM

Not sure if this will help, but it made my life easier. Thought I'd share it with you all.

I put together a couple of apps using automater to kill the PT QT server process. It seems as though quitting the process helped my issues, but opening activity monitor everytime I launched pro tools was bothering me.

Here are the apps I made. the first one is a manual version, where you have to open pro tools and launch the process killer manually afterward.

http://mbx.cm/t/FdvM4

The second launches Pro tools 12, and the process killer when launched. Just put it in your applications folder and then in your dock.

http://mbx.cm/t/1uFY4

Keep in mind you will not be able to import MP3s. Just convert them to wav...

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:45 PM

This is awesome! I'll give it a try. I called apple a few months ago to ask for this and they didn't even know WHAT AUTOMATOR WAS! I said- you guys made it. Still- no idea. Unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchuck View Post
Not sure if this will help, but it made my life easier. Thought I'd share it with you all.

I put together a couple of apps using automater to kill the PT QT server process. It seems as though quitting the process helped my issues, but opening activity monitor everytime I launched pro tools was bothering me.

Here are the apps I made. the first one is a manual version, where you have to open pro tools and launch the process killer manually afterward.

http://mbx.cm/t/FdvM4

The second launches Pro tools 12, and the process killer when launched. Just put it in your applications folder and then in your dock.

http://mbx.cm/t/1uFY4

Keep in mind you will not be able to import MP3s. Just convert them to wav...

Hope this helps.

HD Native * PT 2018.12 * OS X 10.13.6 * MacPro 12 Core * 2.4GHz 24GB Ram * 2XUAD2 Octo * Waves Platinum * Lexicon PCM Native Bundle * Sound Toys Bundle* AutoTune8 * NI Komplete11 * BFD3 * Synthogy Ivory II* Vienna Ensemble Pro * Spectrasonics * Slate trigger2 *xFer records * Softube * Vienna Ensemble * DMG Expurgate * Massey DRT2 *
iPad Air/Avid control * EuCon 18.3.0.217 *
Old 12-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Might be worth if someone with an active plan could submit a ticket to Avid about the QT Server freezing up and causing these spikes? The fact it's red in the Activity Monitor is proof enough that it's not working as intended.

If it can be proven, they might actually work on a resolution. Not having an active plan myself, all I can do is put something on IdeaScale, and we know Avid doesn't look there.

I get quite a few 9173 errors, so I'm all for any fix/optimisation which reduces their likelihood!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Submitted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeil View Post
Might be worth if someone with an active plan could submit a ticket to Avid about the QT Server freezing up and causing these spikes? The fact it's red in the Activity Monitor is proof enough that it's not working as intended.

If it can be proven, they might actually work on a resolution. Not having an active plan myself, all I can do is put something on IdeaScale, and we know Avid doesn't look there.

I get quite a few 9173 errors, so I'm all for any fix/optimisation which reduces their likelihood!

HD Native * PT 2018.12 * OS X 10.13.6 * MacPro 12 Core * 2.4GHz 24GB Ram * 2XUAD2 Octo * Waves Platinum * Lexicon PCM Native Bundle * Sound Toys Bundle* AutoTune8 * NI Komplete11 * BFD3 * Synthogy Ivory II* Vienna Ensemble Pro * Spectrasonics * Slate trigger2 *xFer records * Softube * Vienna Ensemble * DMG Expurgate * Massey DRT2 *
iPad Air/Avid control * EuCon 18.3.0.217 *
Old 12-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is awesome! I'll give it a try. I called apple a few months ago to ask for this and they didn't even know WHAT AUTOMATOR WAS! I said- you guys made it. Still- no idea. Unreal.
Hahaha.

Let me know how it works out. I've only been able to test it on a handfull of systems with PT installed.

Hopefully Avid addresses the issue other than "This is expected behavior and nothing to be concerned about. The issue is merely cosmetic and does not affect functionality. "

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Not-Responding
Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Submitted!

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty8th1 View Post
Found the same thing.
Need to quit it before it has a chance to crash (turn red).

I also kill off anything 'Avid' in my Activity Monitor before I even start.