How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Profire 2626 and DSP-Mixer

Hi there,

is there a way to use the DSP Mixer from my Profire 2626 with Pro Tools 9?

Can i disable the Software Monitoring... or can ProTools control my Profire?

Thanks for answers!

Best Regards
Beerweasle
Old 12-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Profire 2626 and DSP-Mixer

Neither can control each other, however you can use the DSP Mixer to assist you with headphone mixes.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 12-24-2010, 10:58 AM

SO i cant use my latency-free monitoring of my recording?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Sad but true, until PT9 gives us an input monitor off option folks with nice DSP monitoring in their interfaces really can't use it for proper monitoring as intended. You can kill the input monitoring of PT by hitting mute as you record, but that isn't something that you can easily do with alot of punch ins. I modded my remote controller to hit mute and record at the same time which is a hardware workaround. That said, hopefully PT will add an "input monitoring off" setting in the next update but they might not give it to us as it's their one last hold off to keep HD above all else in function.

If this issue isn't corrected by the next update (along with the UAD2 compatiblity issues) I personally will sell PT9 and stick with Reaper.

Search here for the thread to vote for this option request to add an "input monitoring off" function!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 AM

Is this the same latency issue as with the Profire 2626 and MPowered combination? Or is this an even more prohibitive issue?

I was just taking the plunge into Pro Tools, had done all my research earlier this year, and had decided on going the MPowered route with a Profire 2626. I actually just ordered them yesterday and THEN somehow learned that Pro Tools 9 was released early last month.

Now I am somewhat confused as to what I should do, i.e., return the M-Powered software for Pro Tools 9 and use it with the Profire 2626, or go back to the drawing board and reconsider a Pro Tools 9 and Digidesign 003+ combination, or just stick with the M-Powered and Profire 2626.

My primary objective is to be able to mic drums with 8 mics out of the box so that's why I've narrowed to the Profire 2626 and Digidesign 003+.

I don't take these kinds of expenditures lightly, but can probably afford to step up to the PT9/DD003+ combo. I am generally willing to spend more if necessary b/c I intend to use this equipment forever and not have to replace it really at all in the foreseeable future.

Any recommendations for my situation? I.e., I had researched and settled on the MPowered/Profire 2626 and now have learned about the PT 9 rollout and wonder if the MPowered/Profire 2626 combo is going the way of obsolete (in a nutshell).

EDIT: ...and wonder if the Profire 262/PT 9 combo is a bad option, i.e., somehow worse than the Mpowered/Profire 2626 combo, i.e., is the issue to original poster wrote about different/worse than the already existing latency issue that the MPowered/Profire 2626 combo had.

Please, any helpful responses would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks,

half drag
Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Is this an issue with the PreSonus Firestudio 2626 in PT 9? Is the PreSonus a better solution due to this issue with the Profire?

And again, any replies on whether the Profire 2626 is a good solution with PT9 would be appreciated. The Profire 2626 *is* listed as an "approved audio interface" on the Avid site:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=380563

Is this DSP mising issue a real problem, and a worse problem than it was with MPowered?

Thanks!!!

half drag
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM

no, theres not a real problem with latency in PT9 with the Profire2626,

but i wanted to use my DSP Mixer for Routing several headphone-mixes, instead of the DAW like i did before when is used Cubase

So the only thing whats missing is a checkbox [X] Disable Software Monitoring

I talked to some people at the NAMM 2011 - they said "our voice have been heard"

If they implement it - the guy didn't know

... i hope they do ... :)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM

I'm not sure what the issue is here, you can set up 7 separate headphone mixes with the 2626 and still have enough channels to use the DSP mixer to monitor live tracking of a full set of drums with no latency. If you just set the buffer in PT to 128 (unfortunately as low as the 2626 goes) you can't hear the delay as long as you are monitoring what's being recorded through the 2626 DSP mixer as well.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 AM

I think I see what you're saying. The bottom line is you will have to use sends inside PT to make headphone mixes no matter what, there's no getting around it. What's nice about the 2626 is you can monitor what you're recording with no latency.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar486 View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is here, you can set up 7 separate headphone mixes with the 2626 and still have enough channels to use the DSP mixer to monitor live tracking of a full set of drums with no latency. If you just set the buffer in PT to 128 (unfortunately as low as the 2626 goes) you can't hear the delay as long as you are monitoring what's being recorded through the 2626 DSP mixer as well.
My profire 2626 can go to 64 in Windows 7. However, I rarely use it and put it at 128 when tracking. No one has ever said anything.