Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 AM

Default Assign VCA to Control Send Only

In my vocal production template I have all of my instruments bussed to auxes at the end of my session. I send from these to an output leading to a headphone amp in my booth.

I was hoping I could map a VCA fader to control just send. Is that possible? I have the tracks grouped for this already. I'm using the short-throw send faders on-screen right now but would prefer to use the typical long-throw track faders if possible.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Assign VCA to Control Send Only

You can use a Master Fader to control the overall level of a bus (or output). It's a workaround for a VCA for sends. I am missing this to. I think a VCA of a common mix group should be able to have sends controlling the sends of the group members. A lot of consoles can do this for decades...
Old 07-30-2019, 10:07 AM

If you don't need the mix output of those auxes, just the headphone sends you could do post fade sends at 0 and use the VCA to control the volume of the Auxes.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
...I think a VCA of a common mix group should be able to have sends controlling the sends of the group members. A lot of consoles can do this for decades...
What consoles allow control of group member send levels from a VCA group master?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-31-2019, 08:54 AM

The film consoles I know can do that. AMS Neve DFC, Harisson MPC and SSL Avant. They don't call them VCAs. They also can control the EQ, Dynamics and Pan of their members. I bet Euphonic System 5 can do this too.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
The film consoles I know can do that. AMS Neve DFC, Harisson MPC and SSL Avant. They don't call them VCAs. They also can control the EQ, Dynamics and Pan of their members. I bet Euphonic System 5 can do this too.
The system 5 (using the DSP) can definitely do this - for sends, EQ, DYN etc. It’s called group masters. They control the members relative values from the master. I wish PT would operate this way...
Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM

Here is one more way around it. On the track in question, Set the track output to none and add a pre-fade send that feeds your main output. Now, assign your VCA and leave the headphone send as post-fader. When you move the VCA, the headphone level will change, but the pre-fade send to your main outputs will not.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 AM

Nice one!
Old 08-01-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Here is one more way around it. On the track in question, Set the track output to none and add a pre-fade send that feeds your main output. Now, assign your VCA and leave the headphone send as post-fader. When you move the VCA, the headphone level will change, but the pre-fade send to your main outputs will not.
If you are going to set your output to “none” might as well set it to headphones in the first place and skip adding a post-fader send for that purpose.

And never set your output to none unless you want to spend your time trying to figure out why your latency compensation isn’t working right. Pro Tools does not like that (or setting outputs to dummy outputs that go nowhere.)
Old 08-01-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If you are going to set your output to “none” might as well set it to headphones in the first place and skip adding a post-fader send for that purpose.
Thanks for thinking of yet another way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
And never set your output to none unless you want to spend your time trying to figure out why your latency compensation isn’t working right. Pro Tools does not like that (or setting outputs to dummy outputs that go nowhere.)
YMMV, but this has not been an issue for me(a SEND going nowhere will absolutely cause ADC misery). I have used this arrangement on my click track for years. Since my click track has 6 stereo sends(to feed 6 channels worth of headphone amps) and I want to be able to turn the click up, down or mute with a single control, setting the click track's output to none and using a pre-fade send to the main out(headphone sends are all post-fade), I can adjust the click to all 6 phones with only the track fader. I can also adjust click level in the control room using the send to main outs without affecting any headphones

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave