Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Default MacKeeper may be causing issues with Protools/ looking for an alternative

Can anyone suggest a better program?

I'm running Mountain Lion. Have had the same issues recurring: Sample Tank 3 needs reauthorization, then needs to reload all of the sample libraries, as well as reload Xpand 2.big.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Default Re: MacKeeper may be causing issues with Protools/ looking for an alternative

Uninstall MacKeeper and don't install anything like it. You don't need any of this bloatware/crapware/scareware/scamware on a system. This is the very definition of that software. http://www.imore.com/avoid-mackeeper

http://www.macworld.com/article/2861...-your-mac.html
Old 01-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Default Re: MacKeeper may be causing issues with Protools/ looking for an alternative

Thanks Darryl. Yeah, I'm just now learning about how bad this program is.
I've found the bulk of the corrupt files it's picked up have been from email which I had running on my desktop (no longer).

If I don't have any program like MacKeeper, how can I keep my Mac protected? What else would you recommend?

Thanks again!

Lisa

P.S. The good news is that MacKeeper is giving me a 70% refund. Not too shabby. They also didn't argue with me when I told them why I no longer want the program!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:52 PM

You do not need any third party software to "keep your mac protected",

Most similar software is a waste of time, has too many false/fake positives and a huge impact on systems performance.

Certainly for security related things the user is where it is all at. Don't click on links/attachments in emails you are not really sure of. Don't connect to open WiFi. Avoid installing software you don't really need. Keep really good backup/archives that go back a fair way. Use Google Chrome browser and keep it up to date. Don't install browse plugins unless you are really sure. etc. etc.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Consider MacKeeper the same as the Devil crawling up through the bowels of hell and sucking every fiber of soul from your body, yep, MacKeeper is worse than that!!!

Getting annoying pop-up advertisements is not natural on a Mac, having something take over Safari is also not natural. My guess is you are also experiencing that stuff too!

Expect a very hard fight getting MacKeeper truly uninstalled.

Avira is free and I find it does a very good job of getting rid of adaware!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You do not need any third party software to "keep your mac protected",

Most similar software is a waste of time, has too many false/fake positives and a huge impact on systems performance.

Certainly for security related things the user is where it is all at. Don't click on links/attachments in emails you are not really sure of. Don't connect to open WiFi. Avoid installing software you don't really need. Keep really good backup/archives that go back a fair way. Use Google Chrome browser and keep it up to date. Don't install browse plugins unless you are really sure. etc. etc.
Darryl,

Thanks for your helpful tips there. How does Firefox rate as a browser?

Lisa
Old 01-15-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Consider MacKeeper the same as the Devil crawling up through the bowels of hell and sucking every fiber of soul from your body, yep, MacKeeper is worse than that!!!

Getting annoying pop-up advertisements is not natural on a Mac, having something take over Safari is also not natural. My guess is you are also experiencing that stuff too!

Expect a very hard fight getting MacKeeper truly uninstalled.

Avira is free and I find it does a very good job of getting rid of adaware!
Barry, Thanks for making me laugh!! Wow! Sounds like I made the right choice to get rid of MacKeeper or should we call it MacCREEPer, MacStealer.

Now that you mention it, Safari has been acting kind of strange.

As far as uninstalling it, Darryl supplied a good link that explains how to do a clean uninstall. Turns out that those are the same instructions I got from MacKeeper customer support today. Looks like it is off of my system and so far (knock wood) no issues with Protools and Sampletank3.

Before reaching a final conclusion about all of this and the MacKeeper factor, I will give it a few days to test the theory and will let you guys know how my Protools is doing in the absence of pesky MacKeeper.

Thanks again!

Lisa
Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
Darryl,

Lisa
My favorite browser by far. Tried Chrome and it was a nightmare. Sadly there's a couple of sites that don't play well with anything less than the latest version of FF with Gearslutz being one of them. And don't even get me started on Safari - I'd rather listen to autotuned Cher vocals then use it.

QAPLA!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
Darryl,

Lisa
Not as good a Chrome in my opinion. Firefox stability at times is just bad. It used to be great and I used Firefox for many years. But they just cannot compete with the resources Google has working on Chrome. Chrome is the new Internet default browser. It's standards compliance, javascript performance and developer tools makes it what many developers want to use anyhow, even if popularity did not make it important. It can be a pig on weaker computers. Google puts a lot of work into security with Chrome.

Safari is behind the times and with poor compatibility/standards compliance it has become today's IE6.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Not as good a Chrome in my opinion. Firefox stability at times is just bad. It used to be great and I used Firefox for many years. But they just cannot compete with the resources Google has working on Chrome. Chrome is the new Internet default browser. It's standards compliance, javascript performance and developer tools makes it what many developers want to use anyhow, even if popularity did not make it important. It can be a pig on weaker computers. Google puts a lot of work into security with Chrome.

Safari is behind the times and with poor compatibility/standards compliance it has become today's IE6.
A fair argument in favor of Chrome! Thanks Darryl.