Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Too late to upgrade from PT10+CPTK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenet View Post
The reason I'm leaning towards SweetWater is I'll have another person to call in addition to Avid if something goes south.
I was wondering why anyone would consider buying a price-fixed license upgrade outside of the Avid Store, and that was more than a good a reason!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:33 PM

Nothing but my educated guess, and hopefully Avid will correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I've got the feeling that when you upgrade to PT 12, you will end up with a PT 12 license, and a PT 10 license that will expire on 01/01/2016.

Readily understandable...IF you're paying attention...

Speaking of paying attention...

Who's moved to a "service plan" or "rental" model lately?

Avid

Slate

Sonar

What do those three have in common, that they don't have in common with, say, Steinberg or Native Instruments or Arturia?

(Cue "Jeopardy" music...)

But don't wait to long...I think I see the tip of an iceberg...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-29-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If you are currently running Pro Tools 10, then you are uh running Pro Tools 10, don't install Pro Tools 11, no need to mess with AAX-64 or even AAX-32.

If your are currently using Pro Tools 10 and its working for you and you are in the middle of a project then you should change *nothing* except the assets on the iLok and you keep running with the new Pro Tools 10 HD license asset part of your Pro Tools 11 HD license bundle. And by nothing, I mean nothing, no Pro Tools 10 updates, no Pro Tools 11 installs, no touching plugins, no OS updates. What should be usual session/work in progress behavior--unless things are breaking.
Exactly what I needed to know. I'll change only the license, finish my PT10 projects, then worry about PT11 co-install and AAX-32/64. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
I've got the feeling that when you upgrade to PT 12, you will end up with a PT 12 license, and a PT 10 license that will expire on 01/01/2016.
If you purchase an upgrade, rather than a subscription, you would get a perpetual license which would include Pro Tools 12, Pro Tools 11, and Pro Tools 10. A "perpetual" license never expires. At the end of the 12 month period for your uprade/support plan, you would continue to be able to use any of those 3 versions and whatever version you had available at the end of your 12 months.

So, for example, let's say you have Pro Tools 11/10 now...

You will probably wait to see what features are added in Pro Tools 12 when it is released, and during the rest of 2015.

You decide that you do want to upgrade to Pro Tools 12 and get upgrades and support for 12 months, but decide to wait until Christmas 2015 to upgrade.

You would get a perpetual license for Pro Tools 12/11/10 and any versions released for 12 months from date of purchase, in this example Christmas 2016.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 PM

I subscribe to the idea that we will have perpetual confusion on this licensing mess.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I subscribe to the idea that we will have perpetual confusion on this licensing mess.
I'll sell you a support plan for that
Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
If you purchase an upgrade, rather than a subscription, you would get a perpetual license which would include Pro Tools 12, Pro Tools 11, and Pro Tools 10. A "perpetual" license never expires. At the end of the 12 month period for your uprade/support plan, you would continue to be able to use any of those 3 versions and whatever version you had available at the end of your 12 months.

So, for example, let's say you have Pro Tools 11/10 now...

You will probably wait to see what features are added in Pro Tools 12 when it is released, and during the rest of 2015.

You decide that you do want to upgrade to Pro Tools 12 and get upgrades and support for 12 months, but decide to wait until Christmas 2015 to upgrade.

You would get a perpetual license for Pro Tools 12/11/10 and any versions released for 12 months from date of purchase, in this example Christmas 2016.
Are you saying PT 10 will be available into 2016?

Previously, either you or someone from Avid had posted that it would be available at least until the end of 2015...but beyond that has not previously been discussed.

And vis a vis PT 11 post PT 12, we have to go back a ways to find an example...when PT 10 was first released, IIRC you lost your PT 9 license when you upgraded, and a PT 10 license would not authorize PT 9.

As it has been said, there are no "certainties" except death and taxes, but are you reasonably certain that an upgrader would retain their PT 11 license after upgrading to PT 12?

And FWIW...while I "dog" Avid when I think they deserve it, I was doing some "quick and dirty" stuff with PT 9 last night...damn, I wish I could afford to upgrade to PT 11!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM

I think PT10 will be available "forever" but its operating system support ended with OSX 10.8.x (Mountain Lion).

I would assume you could use PT10 on Mountain Lion in 2050 if you have a computer that can still run Mountain Lion.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:36 AM

@BillDenton

When you upgraded from PT9 to PT10 you got both PT9 and PT10 in that combo

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think PT10 will be available "forever" but its operating system support ended with OSX 10.8.x (Mountain Lion).

I would assume you could use PT10 on Mountain Lion in 2050 if you have a computer that can still run Mountain Lion.

That's the only possible negative I see if I'm correct. The co-install does lock me into ML. So is the PT10-PT11-PT12 path basically unavoidable because of the Mac OS?