Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2015, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Freeze Track Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Most my UAD cause offline bounce to bounce at real-time speeds. Makes it completely useless.
Unless you suffer from the real time bounce to disc bug, in which case offline bounce is somewhat useful.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Unless you suffer from the real time bounce to disc bug, in which case offline bounce is somewhat useful.
What bug is that? Haven't come across any bounce issues.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
If by "out of the box" you mean hardware inserts that is true, but, if you mean UAD plugins that is not true. You can freeze UAD plugins in other daws and it frees up the UAD resources while those tracks are frozen.
Sorry. I meant (in my case) using VEP via ethernet to an external Mac Pro - Say I have 16 inserts (using the AAX VEP plug) in PT. Those individual tracks will not freeze. And I really don't need them to because I'm not saving any resources as the external MP is doing all the work.

Where it will help me significantly is when I only need...say....6 VI's in PT and run everything internally. I can freeze those which will be great!

Still going to hold off and see how this function works for everyone before I give up my PT11 license which has been flawless for me on 4 systems (only one is HDX...which is the ONLY one I'd upgrade.)
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
What bug is that? Haven't come across any bounce issues.
Various threads on 9173 errors occuring during real time bounce to disc. Also discussed regarding CPU spikes.
Doesn't happen during offline bounce.
Happens for me during playback too from time to time.

Currently some people have to choose between 11.1.x with broken delay compensation for multi-out virtual instruments, 11.2.x with .9173 errors and 11.3 with a variety of reported issues.

Some choice, it's why the most stable workflow for some is:
1) Track and edit in PT10,
2) Mix in PT11.
3) Or, do everything in PT11 and cross fingers, not a good option if clients are present.

The error is intermittent, I can go days without it, other days repeatedly, requiring full computer reboots to rectify. Then may last days before it happens again, or after only a few minutes.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Hey, in PT10/11 Avid made huge waves with the announcement of Offline Bounce and Clip Gain. Offline bounce has been in most DAWs for, what, over 15 years? I know I used it in Cool Edit Pro around 1996 or so. And calling Clip Gain a 'feature' is comical to a Samplitude user who has had control of nearly every aspect of objects (clips) for about 15 years. I literally laughed out loud when I first read that press announcement. Touting something so simplistic struck me as funny.

That said, I will appreciate Freeze in PT12. If you don't have it, you want it.
Though other DAWs had clip gain, I find PT's implementation the best of the bunch (from what I've tried - Samplitude is not available on Mac, so can't try it). Maybe because they learned from all the other implementations
Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM

Wow, I apologize, I didn't realize Samplitude was so unique. I've only extensively used Samplitude and PT.

In Samplitude you can just click and drag to change clip (object) volume, much like PT11.

But you can also bring up a clip/object editor, and in addition to volume (bring it up or down, or normalize to full level) you can change gain, phase, pan (including channel reverse, full mono, mono left, mono right, etc.), change the pitch of just the clip, stretch it, or add a full complement of plugins to just that clip. (Great if, for example, you want just one vocal phrase to be flanged, etc.) Any and all plugins can be used in a chain on just that object, just as in a track. You can specify Aux Sends for just that clip. You can do Automation that is tied to that clip in case you want to duplicate it or move it.

Of course at any time you can split that object, and do something different with the two parts.

Perhaps you can see why I consider the addition of Clip Gain pretty basic stuff. And why Samplitude/Sequoia are such great tools for mastering.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
Though other DAWs had clip gain, I find PT's implementation the best of the bunch (from what I've tried - Samplitude is not available on Mac, so can't try it). Maybe because they learned from all the other implementations
Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
But you can also bring up a clip/object editor, and in addition to volume (bring it up or down, or normalize to full level) you can change gain, phase, pan (including channel reverse, full mono, mono left, mono right, etc.), change the pitch of just the clip, stretch it, or add a full complement of plugins to just that clip. (Great if, for example, you want just one vocal phrase to be flanged, etc.) Any and all plugins can be used in a chain on just that object, just as in a track. You can specify Aux Sends for just that clip. You can do Automation that is tied to that clip in case you want to duplicate it or move it.

Of course at any time you can split that object, and do something different with the two parts.
Same with pro tools, for most of those things
  • Audiosuite (normalize, invert polarity, plug-ins, pitch shifting)
  • Elastic time (time stretch a clip)
  • Elastic pitch (pitch shift a clip)
  • Automation Follows Edit (clip-based automation, pan)
  • Clip gain (change gain)
  • Edit tools (split/heal/fade/TCE)

The only thing you listed that PT can't do is per-clip sends, but this can easily be accomplished by automating a send on the track and enabling Automation Follows Edit.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM

The reason I find PT's clip gain implementation the most well-thought out is yes, there are DAWs where you can quickly trim up and down the gain of a region (Cubase has it, Studio One, even Logic via the inspector). But that's usually where their implementations stop. With PT, you get a full gain envelope for each region that you can manipulate with as many breakpoints as you'd like. And the workflow of it is very quick - select a sibilant, trim up and down, fade in a breath, tone down a loud word, etc. It is invaluable in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM

Non-destructively? None of the Samplitude edits are destructive at any level.

I confess I don't use Audio Suite, I was under the impression it was destructive editing. If not, why do PT users consider Clip Gain a big deal? I sure didn't.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Same with pro tools, for most of those things
  • Audiosuite (normalize, invert polarity, plug-ins, pitch shifting)
  • Elastic time (time stretch a clip)
  • Elastic pitch (pitch shift a clip)
  • Automation Follows Edit (clip-based automation, pan)
  • Clip gain (change gain)
  • Edit tools (split/heal/fade/TCE)

The only thing you listed that PT can't do is per-clip sends, but this can easily be accomplished by automating a send on the track and enabling Automation Follows Edit.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Non-destructively? None of the Samplitude edits are destructive at any level.
Yes, these edits are non-destructive.