Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Default Re: PT11HD without hardware - is it possible or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
JFreak,

Move surround and automation to PT basic,

Chris Conlee
I agree with this. You should start a petition.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Eric, didn't my post n the other thread where you go on about the upgrade only being for CPTK owners set you straight?

I'm not going to repeat it all here, but your PT10HD licences can be upgraded to PT11HD and you do not need HD hardware to do that.

You have not been hosed, unless you consider that paying $599 per licence is equivalent to being hosed ( which I wouldn't blame you for thinking ... didn't you say you have 3 or 4 licences ... that $2400 to shell outvif you are upgrading 4).
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Eric, didn't my post n the other thread where you go on about the upgrade only being for CPTK owners set you straight?

I'm not going to repeat it all here, but your PT10HD licences can be upgraded to PT11HD and you do not need HD hardware to do that.

You have not been hosed, unless you consider that paying $599 per licence is equivalent to being hosed ( which I wouldn't blame you for thinking ... didn't you say you have 3 or 4 licences ... that $2400 to shell outvif you are upgrading 4).
Yes I did thanks, I didn't see it until this morning though.
As long as you are right I'm happy. It actually makes total sense, just that I heard info to the contrary both here on the duc and elsewhere from other PT users.

I'll go back and change how I expressed my frustration in this one...
Tried at night and frustrated because of incomplete information lead to anger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Avid really need some communication expert! User frustration comes from the lack of concrete information.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 PM

Alright I'm still a little confused. I have Pro Tools 10 regular, non HD with my Avid Mbox 3rd gen. I want to upgrade my interface to a Focusrite with 28X28 in/out. Fits my needs perfectly.

I also want to get Pro Tools 11 HD, since the main 2 reasons for the HD are
1. Advanced track metering
2. Higher track count just like all HD

From what I understand, the CPTK is already gone, so that option is out of the window. I have read that others say that unless you already have a CPTK, then upgrading to PT11 HD will be a bit annoying to do. Is this 100% correct, or no, because I have also heard others speculate that Avid still has to announce it's finalization on this stuff.

So basically, if that is the truth, is the only way for me to get PT 11HD, is to buy one of those PCI and HD interface combos? I honestly don't want an Avid HD console, the Focusrite I'm loooking at honeslty fits my needs better than any of Avid's interfaces. (No offense to Avid of course I'm not saying they're bad just my personal preference and needs) So basically is the only way to get PT 11HD is to buy one of those combos, keep the PCI HD card, sell the interface, and just use a 3rd party interface with the HD software?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post

So basically, if that is the truth, is the only way for me to get PT 11HD, is to buy one of those PCI and HD interface combos? I honestly don't want an Avid HD console, the Focusrite I'm loooking at honeslty fits my needs better than any of Avid's interfaces. (No offense to Avid of course I'm not saying they're bad just my personal preference and needs) So basically is the only way to get PT 11HD is to buy one of those combos, keep the PCI HD card, sell the interface, and just use a 3rd party interface with the HD software?

Hi,

Yes, from now on you will have to buy HD hardware to get HD software.

Many of the HD features are tied into the hardware! So wouldn't work with third party interfaces. Some would of course! But that era is ending.

CPTK users can upgrade to 11HD as a one off offer. I guess that means they won't be able to upgrade to PT12 or beyond using CPTK etc, so do it with 11 or never.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikGuldager View Post
I hope you are right.
I'm not convinced you are though until I get a official answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Considering that they're offering an upgrade to an 11HD asset from PT10+CPTK, I'd say it's pretty clear that an 11HD asset will run a native system.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Alright I'm still a little confused. I have Pro Tools 10 regular, non HD with my Avid Mbox 3rd gen. I want to upgrade my interface to a Focusrite with 28X28 in/out. Fits my needs perfectly.

I also want to get Pro Tools 11 HD, since the main 2 reasons for the HD are
1. Advanced track metering
2. Higher track count just like all HD

From what I understand, the CPTK is already gone, so that option is out of the window. I have read that others say that unless you already have a CPTK, then upgrading to PT11 HD will be a bit annoying to do. Is this 100% correct, or no, because I have also heard others speculate that Avid still has to announce it's finalization on this stuff.

You can still buy CPTK2's from dealers, and use them to upgrade from 10+CPTK to 11HD. They may pull all stock on the CPTK2's soon, but as of right now they're still out there.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 AM

I agree with Chris
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Many of the HD features are tied into the hardware! So wouldn't work with third party interfaces. Some would of course! But that era is ending.

CPTK users can upgrade to 11HD as a one off offer. I guess that means they won't be able to upgrade to PT12 or beyond using CPTK etc, so do it with 11 or never.

Chris
Well actually, the main headline new feature - fast bounce, is totally not tied to the hardware, and the new audio engine uses 64bit to get the best out of today's multi-core hyperthreaded processors, rather than the HDX card.

Any manufacturer that ties itself into proprietary hardware these days is mad.

AWS

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors