Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 AM

Default Re: MacKeeper may be causing issues with Protools/ looking for an alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
If it ask you to update your Flash, be scared, very scared!!!! Close that browser as soon as you can!!!!
Will somebody please explain what's the supposed deal with this at least on a Mac? Not trying to be a wise-ass but I don't understand the negativity towards Flash.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 AM
tundra

Default Re: MacKeeper may be causing issues with Protools/ looking for an alternative

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
Old 01-17-2017, 07:03 AM
tundra

but basically, if you _need_ flash to like, play some early 2000's web game or something, then I strongly suggest using Google Chrome as your main browser. As it has Googles own much stronger version of Flash, that Google keeps up to date and secure, often faster and more often then even Adobe does.
if you have Google Chrome, you don't need to install Flash.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
Which is great if you have a mobile device and I don't. And I've yet in all these years to have my desktop Macs crash because of a Flash video. Firefox - yes but OSX itself - nope.
Quote:
but basically, if you _need_ flash to like, play some early 2000's web game or something, then I strongly suggest using Google Chrome as your main browser. As it has Googles own much stronger version of Flash, that Google keeps up to date and secure, often faster and more often then even Adobe does.
if you have Google Chrome, you don't need to install Flash.
I've tried Chrome before and hated it. The updater that it installs is impossible to shut up unless you uninstall the updater.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Will somebody please explain what's the supposed deal with this at least on a Mac? Not trying to be a wise-ass but I don't understand the negativity towards Flash.
It's not that there is anything wrong with legitimate Flash, some internet bad guys use it to fool people into downloading thier adaware junk. So when something tells you to update flash, be very suspicious!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
It's not that there is anything wrong with legitimate Flash, some internet bad guys use it to fool people into downloading thier adaware junk. So when something tells you to update flash, be very suspicious!
Thanks for that. I only update Flash when I check it via the section in System Preferences and not because some website says I have to.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 PM
tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I've tried Chrome before and hated it. The updater that it installs is impossible to shut up unless you uninstall the updater.
I've never had this issue, it silently updates in the background, as it should.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I've never had this issue, it silently updates in the background, as it should.
And therein lies one of the issues - I don't want it updating without my permission. The updater not only updates Chrome but other Google applications as well like Google Earth. For instance on my internet machine where I tried Chrome I also have Google Earth and everytime I'd launch GE it would ask to be updated when it already WAS at the latest update. Most people don't realize that the updater from one Google app will also try and update every other Google app you may have on your system. PIA.

QAPLA!
Old 01-21-2017, 04:36 PM

Default MacKeeper was definitely causing all issues!

Hello friends,

Although I'm not at all happy about the many hours of aggravation this program caused me, I'm very happy to finally have gotten to the bottom of what was causing all of the problems I've been having in Protools 11.

By the way, in one of many tech support queries with Ik Multimedia asking why I had to keep reauthorizing Sample Tank 3, I know I had asked about Mackeeper causing possible issues, but was never given an answer at all about that. As soon as I posted here however, I got several responses almost immediately warning me away from MacKeeper.
In my humble opinion, anyone working in tech support should know about MacKeeper and it would have helped if they asked me about what antivirus protection I had installed. But this question was never even a consideration. If it had been, the problems I've had could have been rectified months ago.

Anyway, for anyone reading this, please be advised : STAY AWAY FROM MACKEEPER. It reeks havoc on Protools.

It's ironic that a program that's supposed to help your computer run better turns out to be the worst offender.

If my messages here and other peoples' replies can save one person from countless hours of aggravation, then that will be satisfying to know.

As an aside, of course, the headphones are a totally separate issue, and as I reported they were fixed (cable replaced and changed over to detachable) at Guitar Center. What a difference! And the fix cost a LOT less than replacing the headphones (around 32.00) and was a LOT cheaper and faster than shipping them to the manufacturer for repair.

Lisa
Old 01-25-2017, 07:34 AM
tundra

Default Re: MacKeeper was definitely causing all issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
Hello friends,
Anyway, for anyone reading this, please be advised : STAY AWAY FROM MACKEEPER. It reeks havoc on Protools.

It's ironic that a program that's supposed to help your computer run better turns out to be the worst offender.
Ah but thats the rub... all mac keeper, cleaner, etc do is hijack your browser to server you ads, and send your private data to third parties. They are malware, plain and simple.

Want to keep your mac "clean" ? Install a decent ad blocker and ghostery in your web browser, and you'll never be bothered by ads for crap again.