Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2015, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Sound suddenly stops

Pardon my ignorance The Weed but I don't understand what you mean, if you want to explain me I'll find out for sure. :)

Last edited by amagras; 07-23-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: autocorrect
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 AM

With Digidesign/Avid interfaces you can change the session sample/bit rate from within Pro Tools and the interface automatically changes its sample/bit rate. With some third party interfaces, this is not possible and it's a two step process: change the interface's sample/bit rate, then change the sample/bit rate in Pro Tools.

Chees,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 PM

I understand but how are the steps to do that so I can try here?

-Update-
So far, I'm getting an apparently random problem in which the computer reproduces audio slower and in a lower key. I'll be talking with Focusrite about that today.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 AM

If it was me:

Open a session in PT that is the same bit and sample rate as the Focusrite interface, say 24/44.1. Now open a new PT session with a different bit and sample rate, say 16/48. If the Focusrite interface changes its bit and sample rate to match, then you can control it from within PT. If it doesn't you can't and will have to do a two step to get the interface and session bit and sample rate to match up.

I suspect that's the issue you are now experiencing, the session and interface bit and sample rate do not match.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 07-25-2015, 01:07 PM

In fact it is. The guys from focusrite said that the cause of this resides in how Windows manages audio but I tent to think of it as a flaw. They also mention that I had to go the the audio properties on Windows and match the sample rate every time I change to a project with a different sample rate, this can be done as you said, the weed, directly from the MixControl.

Last edited by amagras; 07-25-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 07-25-2015, 06:07 PM

So then Focusrite interfaces are still a two step process to change the bit and sample rate of a Pro Tools session, thanks. As I said, others on the forum have confirmed some third party interfaces' bit and sample rate can be controlled from within PT, others can't.

Make sure your Focusrite is not the default for Windows sounds/audio. Set your onboard soundcard for Windows sounds/audio and leave the Focusrite for PT only.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 07-25-2015, 06:24 PM

So far this is the only issue I am having with the Focusrite. I'm pretty sure there won't be a reason for this to happen if I set the onboard audio as default for Windows.
Thanks for the advice The Weed. Now I'd like to know more about the distortion problem Amack was talking about.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 PM

In the "good old days", 1 kHz square waves were commonly used to test amplifiers for distortion. If the amplifiers were "perfect" their outputs would look identical to their inputs (albeit at higher voltage/power levels). I used 1 kHz square waves for the "Measuring Latency, Scarlett 6i6, DiGiGrid, etc." thread for both the 48 kHz and 96 kHz measurements/results with my 6i6. You can compare the results there. In addition, there is a PT "Signal Generator" "Other" plugin (with a square wave option) that you can use for your own testing at whatever frequency you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
So far this is the only issue I am having with the Focusrite. I'm pretty sure there won't be a reason for this to happen if I set the onboard audio as default for Windows.
Thanks for the advice The Weed. Now I'd like to know more about the distortion problem Amack was talking about.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 AM

Thank you, I'll take a look.

I also found another the read concerning the Scarlett driver that I'm reading.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 PM

Hi fellow Scarlett owners. I thought I should post an update on the Focusrite driver problem.
I've been happy with the quality of the interface but after a couple of live chats with the technical support I was still having Protools playing offkey and slower (apparently in a random way). This should be a problem only for those who still use the Scarlett as the default playback device for Windows.
The first time the tech changed the sample rate of the output device on Windows sound panel to match the sample rate of the project but it didn't change too much of the problem. Now on a new chat session they realized the sample rate of the input device on Windows should be changed too.
Hope this help someone, specially the OP since he said he would get a Scarlett too.