Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Field Recorder Workflow

Located a bug:

If I click on one of the files from the OMF I see listed an original TC. HOWEVER, if I look at the file in Workspace, the original TC is listed at 00:00:00:00.

How can this be? When I imported files from the OMF I did a force to target format copy to make sure the files were .WAV. If I left them as OMF files they come up with no original time stamp and no user time stamp in the workspace.

How is the clip info seeing the original TC, and not workspace?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Not sure if it's the same problem that I had recently, but PT can be fussy with tape names in the edl, and this can mess up source timecode being passed correctly. If a tape name is too long or uses odd characters, all the source timecode reverts to 00:00:00:00.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Not sure if it's the same problem that I had recently, but PT can be fussy with tape names in the edl, and this can mess up source timecode being passed correctly. If a tape name is too long or uses odd characters, all the source timecode reverts to 00:00:00:00.
Thanks for the heads up. This very well might be the issue. So here is an example of a clip name. The clip names are all derived from the source files.

cam01table05_001_new_01-15

Is it too long? Are underscores NG? is the - NG?

Avid?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Hard to say - bizarrely my issue was in the tape name metadata, not even visible in PT. It was a knock on effect. My fix was for the edit house to rename the tapes in MC then re-export the AAF. Took us days and days to track the bugger down...
Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
if a non TC recorder was used on set (Zoom, Roland) all files get a 00:00:00:00 stamp
Sorry Craig but this is not true. I use Zoom and Roland R44 extensively. The files are stamped "time of day".
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post
Located a bug:

If I click on one of the files from the OMF I see listed an original TC. HOWEVER, if I look at the file in Workspace, the original TC is listed at 00:00:00:00.

How can this be? When I imported files from the OMF I did a force to target format copy to make sure the files were .WAV. If I left them as OMF files they come up with no original time stamp and no user time stamp in the workspace.

How is the clip info seeing the original TC, and not workspace?
Did you use an embedded OMF to start with? This doesn't work as PT strips all the metadata from an embedded OMF and all files on your timeline will have original TC 00:00:00:00.

The FRW only works starting from referenced AAF or OMFs with external media…

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 AM

Thierry - I'm 99% sure I've use embedded AAFs that have passed source timecode just fine.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
Did you use an embedded OMF to start with? This doesn't work as PT strips all the metadata from an embedded OMF and all files on your timeline will have original TC 00:00:00:00.

The FRW only works starting from referenced AAF or OMFs with external media…

Greetings,

Thierry
This is not true. Embedded OMFs and embedded AAFs will pass original TC. I'm leaning towards the file naming bug, though with this project we had to move on. The fact that I can actually see the original TC if I click on a clip and view its properties is very telling that this is some sort of bug. If I spot one of the recorder file in the timeline, then option spot one of the clips from the OMF to its original TC they line up perfectly. Also, the project I used this feature on last week was supplying embedded OMFs and the feature worked just fine.

My guess is it's the underscores.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post
This is not true. Embedded OMFs and embedded AAFs will pass original TC.

My guess is it's the underscores.
Let me stand corrected and further explain.

I have done numerous projects now with FRW. Both coming from Avid MC and Apple FCP7.
During the years embedded OMFs have always been a problem carrying metadata over. So when we need to expand to original media, I always ask for a workflow with a AAF and linked external media.
At this moment I'm doing workflow tests with FCP7 and PT11 for a future film project and again the embedded test OMF from FCP has all clips in PT showing TC00:00:00:00 (in this case probably a FCP limitation, that I have always seen happening) The Automatic Duck AAF with external media carries TC.

PT through the years has been problematic with embedded OMFs an metadata. We still use embedded OMF and AAF for small/fast turnaround projects where no original sound rushes are needed, but often I see TC00:00:00:00 in the clips of such projects.

Of course sometimes it has to do with wrong settings on the picture department's end, but on top of that AAF with external media has other advantages as well (no 2GB file limit problem, easier to go back and forth with picture department etc.) There still are dangerous issues such as the one mentioned here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=345993

So while embedded OMF/AAF might work with carrying metadata, my experience is it often doesn't. YMMV of course…

btw the problem in the thread might very well be a file naming issue as you point out.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 08-30-2014, 07:17 AM

I've never gotten sensible AAFs out of FCP, regardless of the settings. It's edl conforms for me if it's FCP.

Actualsize - if you can spot the clips on the timeline, it's definitely not the same issue I had. All my clips were offset from 00.00.00.00 (that being where the machine dropped into record), and there was no way of recovering the lost timecode within PT. Hope it's the naming issue and solveable though, these problems are so boring to track down.