Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Video stutter - please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
Joachim, I did clean reinstall of PT already without any success.
How many monitors was connected to your 2007 iMac?
The iMac itself and a separate Samsung F2380 via the miniDV-to-HDMI adapter.
Or, for additional Video in the booth : miniDV-to-HDMI adapter into a HDMI-splitter.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-27-2014, 10:12 AM

Pirx, try this test for a data point -
Hide the Pro Tools Edit and Mix windows (and any "moving parts" Pro Tools floating windows) and see if the stutter goes away.

I've been battling Avid for 5 years on this problem. The only way to get the stutter to go away (mostly) with PT10 is to disable the beam sync. But then you get tearing. Read this -
https://developer.apple.com/library/...33/_index.html

One of the problems (Apple also has some bugs) is that the Pro Tools UI is generating a huge amount of redraws, far more than the 60 that Apple requires. So anything above 60 is "coalesced" down, which causes the stuttering.

But theoretically the BlackMagic should have solved that. So it will be interesting to see if hiding the PT windows stops the stuttering.

Pro Tools 11 is much better in the stutter dept than PT10, fwiw. Since you have PT10 and CPT, you MIGHT be able to convince Avid CS to allow you to do the "trade in CPT +$500 to get PT11HD software" thing - which is no longer offered.

[Edit - I may be wrong - another post here suggests you can still do that upgrade]
Old 11-06-2014, 08:36 AM

I haven't been here for a while and didn't see your answer. Thanks for chiming in Danny!

I did what you suggest - hided all PT windows, but nothing, really nothing can't stop the stutter (except the OS restart, that sometimes solves the problem for a few minutes or so).

As you noticed BlackMagic should have solved that, but it didn't. I suppose, that in my case the computer itself is the problem. Therefore I'm going to replace my Mac, which is old guy anyway, with newer machine. Hope this will solve the trouble permanently
Old 08-09-2015, 04:48 PM

So did the newer computer solve your problem?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Nope.
I bought 2012 Mac Pro 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core, 64 GB and the stutter still occurs, although usually in much "pleasant" way - the video playback stops for about one second and than plays back again. Previously occurring stutter still appears on movement, when there is a slow pan or something like that, the video gets a hiccups.

As if that wasn't enough, I have now the entirely new problem, that appeared after the computer change - extremely frequent "PT quit unexpectedly" and memory errors. I made whole bunch of screenshots of the errors I get, that you can see on my flickr gallery:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskokkbaF

You can see there also a System Usage window which shows constantly between 17 and 20% of CPU (Native) usage and activity monitor floating window during playback.

These errors make me mad and totally ashamed when someone (i.e. director or producer) is coming to see my work. What's worse, I'm close to the end of mixing the feature and at the moment can do nothing to solve this problem.

My session gets bigger and bigger. At the moment I have 53 instances of Pro Q2 and 20 of Altiverb. Lot of sends and about 120 tracks (mono, stereo and 5.1). I would believe, that non HD PT with CPTK is not capable to handle it, but yesterday I created new session with just a few tracks and 2 VI (Play) instances. The performance was also very sluggish and CPU errors was occurring every few minutes of work.

If someone has any idea of anything safe enough I could do to at the moment to stop these errors, please, please chime in!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Nope.
I bought 2012 Mac Pro 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core, 64 GB and the stutter still occurs, although usually in much "pleasant" way - the video playback stops for about one second and than plays back again. Previously occurring stutter still appears on movement, when there is a slow pan or something like that, the video gets a hiccups.

As if that wasn't enough, I have now the entirely new problem, that appeared after the computer change - extremely frequent "PT quit unexpectedly" and memory errors. I made whole bunch of screenshots of the errors I get, that you can see on my flickr gallery:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskokkbaF

You can see there also a System Usage window which shows constantly between 17 and 20% of CPU (Native) usage and activity monitor floating window during playback.

These errors make me mad and totally ashamed when someone (i.e. director or producer) is coming to see my work. What's worse, I'm close to the end of mixing the feature and at the moment can do nothing to solve this problem.

My session gets bigger and bigger. At the moment I have 53 instances of Pro Q2 and 20 of Altiverb. Lot of sends and about 120 tracks (mono, stereo and 5.1). I would believe, that non HD PT with CPTK is not capable to handle it, but yesterday I created new session with just a few tracks and 2 VI (Play) instances. The performance was also very sluggish and CPU errors was occurring every few minutes of work.

If someone has any idea of anything safe enough I could do to at the moment to stop these errors, please, please chime in!

These images all appear to be RAM related....What version of Pro Tools are you using, what is your Disk Cache set to?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:05 PM

Pro Tools 10.3.9 on OSX v.10.8.5. Disk Cache is set to Normal. I did try different settings, but without any luck.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Pro Tools 10.3.9 on OSX v.10.8.5. Disk Cache is set to Normal. I did try different settings, but without any luck.
Have you tried watching activity monitor and more specifically the memory usage while you're ProTools system suffers from these errors? If Pro Tools meets or exceeds approximately 2.6 GB of memory being used you've reached the memory limit and errors will continue. 4 GB is the theoretical limit for a 32-bit application such as ProTools 10. If you have a system that has 64 GB of RAM your best bet would be running ProTools 11 for ProTools 12 which could actually use that amount of ram....

On Mountain lion you can run a duel install of ProTools 10, Pro Tools 11, and even ProTools 12. I would suggest getting the demo of ProTools 11, or ProTools 12 running on the same system and see if the exact same session behave the same way on a 64-bit application.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:50 PM

I've just made a quick test jumping over my session. Craftily PT was quite stable this time. But I've been watching the Real Mem column of Activity Monitor (is this is the one I should be watching?) and here's what I noticed:
- just after opening the session real mem exceeds 2 GB
- when in playback real mem is floating beetwen 2,2 and even almost 2,8 GB; see the screen here:

- PT crashed twice: first time, when using 2,64 GB and second time when using 2,2 GB.

I guess I'm balancing on the edge here. I will definitely continue watching memory usage while real working tomorrow and let you know if notice something new.

On the other hand, why I was getting these errors while running small session with just 2 VI...?

As to trying PT demo. Unfortunately, I've already used my trial of PT11HD on my older computer. I would gladly try PT12, but when searching for it, I can only choose between Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 11 HD. No 12 demo available I guess...
Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I've just made a quick test jumping over my session. Craftily PT was quite stable this time. But I've been watching the Real Mem column of Activity Monitor (is this is the one I should be watching?) and here's what I noticed:
- just after opening the session real mem exceeds 2 GB
- when in playback real mem is floating beetwen 2,2 and even almost 2,8 GB; see the screen here:

- PT crashed twice: first time, when using 2,64 GB and second time when using 2,2 GB.

I guess I'm balancing on the edge here. I will definitely continue watching memory usage while real working tomorrow and let you know if notice something new.

On the other hand, why I was getting these errors while running small session with just 2 VI...?

As to trying PT demo. Unfortunately, I've already used my trial of PT11HD on my older computer. I would gladly try PT12, but when searching for it, I can only choose between Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 11 HD. No 12 demo available I guess...

Yes, you are on the edge. My best guess is your plugins. Altiverb is a bit of a pig if I recall correctly - If you have 20 instances that alone could be causing the memory stress on the system. Perhaps you should use Reverb sends rather than so many instances?

Have you tried creating a blank session with no plugs, no video, just a handful of tracks with no audio on them? What is your real memory usage reporting in Activity Monitor with a very basic session? If its low (appropriate) you could then start to build your session back together one plug at a time until you see some spikes or constant memory increases.

You could be looking at a shear numbers game OR you could have a leaky plugin. You should also ensure that every plugin you are using (including ones that are in your plugins folder and not even instantiated but are loaded into the session upon app launch) are up-to-date too (really important).

I cannot speak about everything happening on your 'smaller' session but I know that some VI's can be resource hogs too.

Lastly, you should consider making the investment and upgrading to PT11 or PT12. As one of the previous posters stated the video stutter vastly improves with the new AVE and as a 64-bit app it can make use of all of your RAM. This means more plugs, more VI's for you. In fact, if you do have a leaky plugin you might find that with your increased RAM headroom you will never see it kick memory errors.

The plethora of screen cap errors you attached earlier could all (and most likely are) related to RAM even though they claim other system failures such as processor, etc. When a system is starved of RAM all processes have trouble functioning so its not uncommon for an app such as Pro Tools to call a false error when the RAM is depleted.

A couple more things to check that will ease your RAM requirements:
- Drop the UNDO levels down to just what you need. All of this information is stored in RAM
- Check your 'automation thinning' setting. Apply the most amount of automation thinning after each pass that you can, without noticing an audible change.

If you go see a local Pro Tools reseller and explain to them that you need a week to test they should be able to hook you up even if they let you borrow an iLok. Explain your issues and that you are seriously considering upgrading if this resolves it.

I think you will find that going to PT11 or PT12 on the exact same system/session you will see vast improvements in performance, at least in regards to the issues you are having.

If you don't see improvements once upgrading I would look at your actual installed RAM. Is it in the right slots, is it all lot matched RAM, matched modules, etc.

Hope that helps.