Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Default Motherboard PCIe packet size for HDX?

Does anyone know what the minimum payload size for an HDX card on a PCIe 2.0 buss needs to be? Payload size is the size of the transaction layer packet between the CPU and the card. I.E how much stuff gets moved between them at once. In my case, my motherboard can only do 256 Bytes but an article I read about motherboards in general said that was really low and that some motherboards go as high as 4096 Bytes. The more bytes the more efficient transfered are between a card and the system.

Some engineer at AVID has to know the answer to this who worked on the PCIe interface for the card. I'm taking a wild shot here seeing if anyone can actually answer.

My mother board is a SuperMicro X8SAX.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m.../X58/X8SAX.cfm

I really want my HDX card to be stable in my system with this MB but I keep getting 9171 errors despite having the maximum H/W buffer. Everything on my motherboard is turned off except the bare minimum to run the computer. I've got a few threads on here in the last 2 weeks desperately trying to get ideas to try.

I already updated my graphics card to an approved NVIDIA model and that did help the video engine playback become more stable.

Thanks,
David
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Motherboard PCIe packet size for HDX?

PCI segmentation sis more important, this is how the PCI bus is shared.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins