Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2001, 06:59 AM

Default What is lacking in the new Control 24 and the ProControl

Ok, here's a good question/ potential problem that I hope makes the Control 24 and ProControl R & D team scratch their heads...

I was finally able to see a Control 24 and the new Edit Pack in a ProControl desk during a Digi 'showing' at a local vendors' here in NYC... (sorry, I didn't get to NAMM to see it earlier).
Both products, as well as the updated software and even some of the new plug-ins seem quite impressive and a good step forward. It's about time that multichannel capabilities are now implemented in into the system.

Now here's the rub...
The software allows you to have multichannel tracks and by doing that, you are implying that your mix is going to be in some type of multichannel mode (7.1, 5.1, LCRS etc...) or maybe even a combination of any of the above so you might have a 5.1 mix, an LCRS mix and a stereo mix... all necessary for the client, producer.
From what I have seen on both the ProControl and the new Control 24, there seems to be a severe lack of monitoring options. I don't know about most of you guys (and girls), but if we need to deliver a 5.1 mix (usually a DA88 tape) and a stereo mix (DAT) not to mention splits (M & E, VO, Full Mix etc)... isn't it pretty much the norm to monitor thru your deliverable... the DA88, the DAT etc...
Shouldn't there be a multichannel External In to either of these tactile control surfaces so I can monitor bacj=k from my tape?
Sure you can use the 3 stereo External Ins in a sort of group mode to monitor your returned 5.1 mix but what about 7.1? What do I do if I now want to hear the stereo fold down return mix from my DAT?

I know we can make multiple passes with a different montiorring config on each one, but I thought we were trying to avoid that.

I think just one (maybe even 2) more D-sub Input connectors and just a little bit more development on the monitorring section could have made these control surfaces even more kick ass as far mix monitorring goes.

Now it seems we are relegated to using a MultiMax for such issues.... unless, of course, there is something I am totally missing...

Any comments?
Anyone?

Patrick Timmons
Old 03-02-2001, 12:44 AM

Default Re: What is lacking in the new Control 24 and the ProControl

I totally agree. The PC does not allow real multi-channel monitoring. Anybody doing serious mixing for surround + type mixes, needs to monitor the recorded track coming back from Multitrack deck (IE DA-88'S). And waht about the stems? You also have to listen to them. Oh well, I was kinda hoping the Edit Pack was going to address that issue - but it doen not!

Too bad. I am looking into getting a system custom made for me here in Montreal.

------------------
Ray Fabi
Ton of Bricks Studios Montreal
514-990-2713
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 03-02-2001, 08:46 AM

I am with you guys. What is a person to DO?
I have stereo soffit monitors, small boom box types, and surrounds with a sub, where I want to use the L & R as nearfields. I want to be able to use any combination on the fly. I do not want to have to repatch speakers to hear the different playback options.

------------------
Dan Matthews
InSight Sound Recording
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 03-05-2001, 12:39 AM

Although I have not dived in the 5.1 pool yet, it seems from the advice I was given that the best way is to use a standalone external surround monitoring rig. Usually you have a rack with all the connections and a remote control lexicon 224 style.
These systems allow you to calibrate each speaker individually and most important usually incorporate some bass management
system and connections for monitoring code/decode operations.

Mark Haliday
CUSTOM STUDIO
Paris France