Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 PM
arche3's Avatar
arche3 arche3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 868
Default What brand ssd?

500gig version for record drives.

Samsung evo 860
Crucial mx500

Which one? Crucial is 10 bucks cheaper on 500g version.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 PM
jeam25's Avatar
jeam25 jeam25 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,591
Default Re: What brand ssd?

Hi i use samsung evo and sandisk they both performs well . Oh i have one kingston too but never tried crucial .
__________________
- Jesus Alvarado -

Keep the volume UP !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 PM
arche3's Avatar
arche3 arche3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 868
Default Re: What brand ssd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi i use samsung evo and sandisk they both performs well . Oh i have one kingston too but never tried crucial .
Thanks. I'll look at sandisk as well then.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 11,922
Default Re: What brand ssd?

Loks like most people here use Samsung EVO or Samsung Pro and so do we! Great SSD’s and I looked at our usage and we have over 50 Samsung SSD Pro drives here and not one of them have even hinted at a problem since 2012 when we started replacing all spinners.
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Emi Emi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Madrid. Spain
Posts: 268
Default Re: What brand ssd?

MX500 500gigs performing very well here. Now I have it mounted via USB3 but I plan to mount it in my Mac mini.
__________________
Mac Mini late 2012 i5 | Mac OS Mojave 10.14 | Motu 16A | Motu 828ES | Pro Tools 2019.6 Native
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 PM
BScout BScout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,092
Default Re: What brand ssd?

Samsung over all others.

Sandisk at the bottom. Sandisk is combative on repairs/replacements (and I've had 6 SSDs now replaced) because their differentiation between "consumer" and "professional" systems (like workstations). They try to say their warranties don't apply to use in professional systems.

Of all the SSDs that have had faults 90% have been Sandisk (including catastrophic failure.) The other 10% were OCZ which is no longer and their faulty controller. Last year, all remaining Sandisk drives were pulled for non-critical use and replaced. There's no point taking a chance with them because it's just a matter of time for them to fail. Failures happened within 1-3 years of use.

Zero failure rate with Samsung, Intel or Crucial.
(My pool of SSDs in use are 30-40 drives; today almost all 1TB, 2TB or 4TB sizes.)
__________________
Pro Tools Ult 2019.6, HDX 3, MTRX/SPQ, HD Omni • Mac Pro 5,1 - 3.06 GHz 12 core - macOS 10.13.6 • RAM 64GB, SSD 4 x 2TB, GPU GTX 980 4GB
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2019, 02:11 PM
arche3's Avatar
arche3 arche3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 868
Default Re: What brand ssd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Samsung over all others.



Sandisk at the bottom. Sandisk is combative on repairs/replacements (and I've had 6 SSDs now replaced) because their differentiation between "consumer" and "professional" systems (like workstations). They try to say their warranties don't apply to use in professional systems.



Of all the SSDs that have had faults 90% have been Sandisk (including catastrophic failure.) The other 10% were OCZ which is no longer and their faulty controller. Last year, all remaining Sandisk drives were pulled for non-critical use and replaced. There's no point taking a chance with them because it's just a matter of time for them to fail. Failures happened within 1-3 years of use.



Zero failure rate with Samsung, Intel or Crucial.

(My pool of SSDs in use are 30-40 drives; today almost all 1TB, 2TB or 4TB sizes.)
Oh.. great info!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:45 AM
weezul weezul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 372
Default Re: What brand ssd?

I've had OCZ 128gb, Kingston 128gb, Intel 600p NVMe, Corsair 128gb, and a 1TB Sandisk. The only one that has failed is the 1TB sandisk (mainly for holding samples, and large downloads and video sessions). I got it RMA'd though no problem, it died about a year into it's life. The OCZ agility was bought in 2010 and still going strong! But it only gets light use as a Win10 boot drive in my hackintosh.

Also have Samsung EVO at another studio which I installed, still working fine. I do tend to buy Samsung EVO in general for other people and myself now, but haven't bought a new drive in a while. I'd perhaps avoid Sandisk out of principle but seems like someone else has had problems with them as well.
__________________
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 AM
chrismeraz chrismeraz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 328
Default Re: What brand ssd?

Find one that meets your needs for write speed and price. There probably won't be many to choose from once you narrow it down like that.
__________________
Windows 10
Apollo 8
Pro Tools Native
i7 8700K, 32GB RAM
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2019, 05:15 AM
johnsimmons johnsimmons is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Londinium
Posts: 273
Default Re: What brand ssd?

we never buy anything apart from Samsung after a couple of failures (to be honest the tech was probably not as good 4 or 5 years ago).
check out the forthcoming QVO series from Samsung - 4tb drives for around 500$ apparently tho not seen them in the wild as yet
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new Mbox, Brand new pro tools LE 7.4. "unable to locate digidesign hardware" eltore23 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 02-03-2012 11:13 AM
A brand new, Better day. fly_with_v Eleven Rack 1 04-08-2011 06:40 PM
Unable to get Pro Tools 8.0 to launch w/ brand new Mac Pro and brand new 003 ohheyandrew 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 01-16-2009 11:18 PM
The brand new HD with brand new Mac won't launch... Rammelt Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 9 07-18-2007 04:25 AM
Brand of RAM? Matt Whritenour 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 8 04-04-2006 09:54 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com